M10 flash issue

jto555

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2017 at 8:53 PM, Ole Fasmer said:

I don't understand the need for Evf. The flash gives a lot of light, so no need for super accurate focusing. The ovf. gives some advantages over other finders, you can monitor the flashlight in the finder, all other finders go black in the exposure moment. What tires my eyes or rather my brain, is trying to focus the rangefinder in close ups using large apertures. But with flash,, 35 or 50 mm. Lenses at two meters or more using f. 8 to 16, focusing is not an issue

Hey Ole, image that you use a lens that is not supported in the viewfinder. Or that you use a close focus lens with a trigger that remotes many flashes. In this case it’s very helpful to hab a flash/evf at the same time. And actually it’s not that difficult to provide a viewfinder with a sync contact. Tja that’s been done by people outside of Leica. So either there is no need (]which I can’t see) or this is just ignorant. 😀

I have raised this same issue several times with Stefan Daniels as I too want in a system camera like M10 the ability to use my EVF and a flash trigger (typically with studio lighting setup) I really do not understand why Leica do not provide this on the camera, or via the adapter as mentioned here, or via WifI or bluetooth triggering kit. I am doing currently a cook book and taking images of a plate of food is not obvious for a quality result without lighting...sure I can get an image of the food but something with high definition, depth of field loads of contrast is not easy for me at least. I also do portraits and here again a flash would be great for many shots. I am reluctant to start ripping apart my EDF but maybe that is the only way forward.

The prototype is still working perfectly 🙂

I had a last studio shooting yesterday...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 6:34 AM, Triumph said:

I have raised this same issue several times with Stefan Daniels as I too want in a system camera like M10 the ability to use my EVF and a flash trigger (typically with studio lighting setup) I really do not understand why Leica do not provide this on the camera, or via the adapter as mentioned here, or via WifI or bluetooth triggering kit. 

Leica created the M240 as a "system" camera (i.e., the viability to configure it with accessories for a variety of different tasks.) One accessory was the multi-function grip which added:  a dedicated SCA terminal for attaching a flash or other accessory; a GPS Module for geotagging images with location information; a power socket; a DIN/ISO-X socket for studio flash systems and a USB port for connection to computer.  Apparently Leica decided this was the wrong approach and removed the "system" characteristics when it designed the M10 and subsequent models.

Actually, the problem was that they wanted to shrink the M10 to film Leica dimensions And they did with great difficulty -one year extra design time, a split mother board next to instead of behind the sensor, etc. The price was lack of space for extra "system" features and heat management problems precluding supplemental processing power. 

This set them on the road to the M being a pure rangefinder camera, with the EVF a supplementary accessory. If one asks Leica, their  likely answer will be: "for the full features of a system EVF camera, we provide one: the SL. The M is a niche product for connoisseurs." I think I said so in this thread 5 years ago as well ;) 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/11/2020 at 7:55 AM, mmx_2 said:

Nice!! I bought an old Metz flash with a lot of (old) SCA-adapters, maybe I’ll be able to make something out of them as well.

You only need a 3502 or 351 (depending on flash model(age)) adapter.

I wrote to Stefan Daniels and later visited him in Wetzlar to discuss this subject. He told me that his engineers  say that there is no room in an M10 for a simple flash socket..they say they looked at it. He said he would look at the Bluetooth / Wifi trigger opportunity with an accessory to provide the flash mechanical contact. We talked about the M being a system camera and my desire for a leather briefcase for a notebook , passports etc and a place for a leica M body with lens as I used to travel the globe and taking a camera was a passion. He said they were working on a leather bag offering and indeed they have done that. I saw the Kaufman  U Tube interviews and was impressed by the vision under his leadership that they have and the market niche (s) that Leica are going after. Many people see Leica as a high end qulaity camera for the rich that is good for street photography and low light photography and I would say they own that market and seem to bring out offerings that pander to that niche...Safari models, White models, 007 model Q, the special editions stuff, APO lenses .....but they seemingly do not like Flash and that I feel is a miss. I was shocked that there seems to be room in the EDF to do what I  need and may now give it a go. I just cannot understand that Leica do not do it or address the issue by blue tooth or whatever. I also think that the Leica app is pretty useless and that could allow so much more including flash.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Triumph:

I wrote to Stefan Daniels and later visited him in Wetzlar to discuss this subject. He told me that his engineers  say that there is no room in an M10 for a simple flash socket..they say they looked at it. He said he would look at the Bluetooth / Wifi trigger opportunity with an accessory to provide the flash mechanical contact. We talked about the M being a system camera and my desire for a leather briefcase for a notebook , passports etc and a place for a leica M body with lens as I used to travel the globe and taking a camera was a passion. He said they were working on a leather bag offering and indeed they have done that. I saw the Kaufman  U Tube interviews and was impressed by the vision under his leadership that they have and the market niche (s) that Leica are going after. Many people see Leica as a high end qulaity camera for the rich that is good for street photography and low light photography and I would say they own that market and seem to bring out offerings that pander to that niche...Safari models, White models, 007 model Q, the special editions stuff, APO lenses .....but they seemingly do not like Flash and that I feel is a miss. I was shocked that there seems to be room in the EDF to do what I  need and may now give it a go. I just cannot understand that Leica do not do it or address the issue by blue tooth or whatever. I also think that the Leica app is pretty useless and that could allow so much more including flash.

They could e.g. build a thin adapter for the flash socket. We thought of it, but is was too complicated without pro tools to create the contacts for the monitor...