M10 flash issue

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think a more practical solution would be to get the second body a mirrorless (Sony/Fuji) with an adapter to use your Leica lenses. No optical issues with the standard/tele lenses used for portraiture. Clients probably not able to tell a difference (my guess). Good EVFs on those mirrorless cams; better support for flash than Leica M. Money saved, bank manager happy. I am heavily invested in Leica, so not trolling (but also have two Fuji bodies and they work great, especially for portraits).

• Like 1

I think a more practical solution would be to get the second body a mirrorless (Sony/Fuji) with an adapter to use your Leica lenses. No optical issues with the standard/tele lenses used for portraiture. Clients probably not able to tell a difference (my guess). Good EVFs on those mirrorless cams; better support for flash than Leica M. Money saved, bank manager happy. I am heavily invested in Leica, so not trolling (but also have two Fuji bodies and they work great, especially for portraits).

That is certainly a very good option option.

On the M240 you can attach a handgrip and connect the flash to that one (photo). 

The M10 handgrip is just a handgrip and the M10 doesn't have any contacts in the bottom prepared for a more advanced handgrip. (There is a contact that was blinded out during development of the camera. Somebody changed their mind).

leica-sf-flash-640w.jpg

• Like 1

On the M240 you can attach a handgrip and connect the flash to that one (photo). 

The M10 handgrip is just a handgrip and the M10 doesn't have any contacts in the bottom prepared for a more advanced handgrip. (There is a contact that was blinded out during development of the camera. Somebody changed their mind).

leica-sf-flash-640w.jpg

What gets me is there is no reason for there not to be a Multifunction grip with usb and flash. This set up was ingenious and really made it a very interesting system.

If you don't like it or don't want it you don't have to buy it. It's completely out of sight and out of mind, so still Das Wesentliche. Yet, the fact the connector is still there in the M10, just covered up, means it can exist out of sight and out of mind and keep people happy.

Leica, please put back the Multifunction Grip and flash bracket for the M10-P!

Edited by Paul J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

leica-sf-flash-640w.jpg

That is exactly what I am using at the moment but with a wireless trigger in the hotshoe. If somebody changed their mind I hope they can change it back again and make the right decision. I know there are those who wont agree with me but... dump the frame section lever and put a PC socket in its place. Realistically a photographer would know from looking at the scene if the need a wide angle or tele or a normal lens. As I say, I know there are those who will disagree with that idea, but that is my opinion.

Thorsten, one question. You say that there is a contact that was blinded out during development of the camera. Is this area at the bottom of the camera now been used for the WiFi aerial? If not, there might be hope for an improved M10-P.

John

I just realised that if you are involved with the development/test of the camera that the question is a loaded question. Not my intention.

Edited by jto555

The solution is simple but maybe not so elegant.
NIKON cable SC-28 + lamp Leica SF58 + rail of a third party. We have a full TTL.

This is not a Leica M10, but the principle the same.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thorsten, one question. You say that there is a contact that was blinded out during development of the camera. Is this area at the bottom of the camera now been used for the WiFi aerial? If not, there might be hope for an improved M10-P.

John

I just realised that if you are involved with the development/test of the camera that the question is a loaded question. Not my intention.

There is a member here, edw, who discovered that the SD engraving panel on the bottom plate is covering the connector by adhesive.

• Like 1

But the point is you can't use an EVF.

Yes, but if you could just add a passthrough attachment on the hotshoe for the EVF with a pc socket, which hopefully Leica or a third party will make, then you could use the same setup (and perhaps one with a better bracket to get the flash higher) in a quite workable setup. The camera is just out. It is not surprising that all the peripherals are not available yet. Even RRS has not made an alternative baseplate that is arca swiss compatible. I will be very surprised if someone doesn't make that pass through attachment for the hot shoe.

Edited by Steve Spencer

John

That's just my guess. 

You don't really have to speculate aboiut the connector when you see it there in Leica's own pictures.

http://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Leica-M10-camera-the-making-of-5.jpg

It's out of focus, but you can also see the baseplate cutout in another picture...

http://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Leica-M10-camera-the-making-of-10.jpg

Yes, these are tagged with LeicaRumors, but they're from Leica and I'm too tired to find the official ones.

From an engineering perspective, you would most certainly put it there to program the camera and do other diagnostics. Cover it up and say you don't have features... just to stay "pure."

• Like 1

leica-sf-flash-640w.jpg

And this is why I bought the SL......

I have this as well but found it clunky, unbalanced and a pain to put together and take apart. Without the EVF the M is great in studio. So I keep one M and one SL in my working bag.

Gordon

If you get a Really Right Stuff L-bracket, they you can add this flash bracket:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/assets/images/products/WPF-QR2-Flash-Bracket-with-Sliding-Mount.main-4.PNG

it really is quite nice and it even let's you switch between portrait and landscape orientations and keep the flash above the camera either way. It doesn't solve the EVF and flash issue, however.

I understand the need for Evf, when you are working with 75 to 135 mm. Lenses on full apertures, close up. But if that's your main line of work, I would suggest using a dslr or a mirrorless like a Sony or a Leica SL.The advantage and main argument of having a Leica m is the rangefinder. But this viewfinder is not useful close up or with longer lenses. It would be a good idea, if Leica fitted the coming m models with a second flash contact, but I think that Leica would consider the user group very limited. Maybe we all have to wait ( for a long time) for the Leica m with a hybrid Evf./ Ovf. Finder. Fuji has done it, but I don't find it good for my use.

• Like 2

On Friday, I have to photograph a group of managers in a tight location outdoors (picked by the client) which will be on a 21mm, so I need a viewer and off camera flash to light the eyes. Then at the same shoot photographs during a presentation to prospective clients for my client. The main request was to be discreet. Ideal for the Leica.

So it would over complicate the shoots if I had to have two different camera outfits. If I was buying again, I think I would go Sony but I am too heavily committed to Leica now to change.

I am not bashing Leica, if fact I enjoy shooting on the Leica M more that any other camera system I have used over the years. It is just that Leica seems to have forgotten that if they are making a professional camera, then there are some feature the really need on the camera. An ability to fire flash while using the EVF is right up there on the top of the list, in my opinion. The M240 has it but not the new M10.

On Friday, I have to photograph a group of managers in a tight location outdoors (picked by the client) which will be on a 21mm, so I need a viewer and off camera flash to light the eyes. Then at the same shoot photographs during a presentation to prospective clients for my client. The main request was to be discreet. Ideal for the Leica.

So it would over complicate the shoots if I had to have two different camera outfits. If I was buying again, I think I would go Sony but I am too heavily committed to Leica now to change.

I am not bashing Leica, if fact I enjoy shooting on the Leica M more that any other camera system I have used over the years. It is just that Leica seems to have forgotten that if they are making a professional camera, then there are some feature the really need on the camera. An ability to fire flash while using the EVF is right up there on the top of the list, in my opinion. The M240 has it but not the new M10.

I agree with you on this point, and I think it will be relatively easy for Leica or a third party to develop a solution. In the mean time for your shoot, if you put your camera on a tripod with a flash trigger in the hotshot (and several flashes fired from it) and use the LCD for framing it ought to work reasonably well for this shoot. Then for the discreet stuff you can just use natural light and the rangefinder. Not ideal, but hopefully it is workable for you.