ROM vs no ROM

4X5B&W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering....now that the combination of R lenses and the SL make such attractive package for people who have lens from the film days, is there any advantage AT ALL  to having a ROM lens vs a non ROM lens?

We all know that that ROM was developed for the R8 &R9 application, but is there ANY  electrical connection/functional advantage with a SL?

There were suggestions ROM lenses could in fact be more problematic for some applications, because of the space occupied by the connections on the lens/camera interface, in a situation where contact was not providing an electrical function.

Edited by 4X5B&W

The original Leica adapter R-SL can read the ROM and so you'll have the same functionality like on the R8/R9 with ROM lenses. The lens will be recognized from the SL and also the actual focal length of zoom lenses and the zoom position of the flash is controlled. If you have a R lens without ROM you have to select the lens manually in the SL menue.

There are no electrical problems using R lenses without ROM

• Like 1

The original Leica adapter R-SL can read the ROM and so you'll have the same functionality like on the R8/R9 with ROM lenses. The lens will be recognized from the SL and also the actual focal length of zoom lenses and the zoom position of the flash is controlled. If you have a R lens without ROM you have to select the lens manually in the SL menue.

There are no electrical problems using R lenses without ROM

Excellent, so aside from manual selection for lenses without ROM, no issues......TERRIFIC !!

Hanging onto those fabulous R lenses from my film days even without ROM connections,  HAS paid off....thank you Ferdinand    :)

Edited by 4X5B&W

One caveat: just like with the R8 and R9, be careful using one- or two-cam lenses on the R Adapter L. Three-cam, R-only, and ROM lenses will all be fine. 

The issue is that the one- and two-cam lens cams can damage the contacts in the adapter, just like they can damage the contacts in the R8 and R9 bodies. These are all very old lenses now, but I still have a couple of them that were never upgraded. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased an R 50mm Summicron to use on my SL with the Leica R to L adapter. Somewhat disappointed in the performance as far as the EXIF transfer to camera info goes.

It does recognize the lens OK as a 50mm Summicron, but the transfer of the f stop is spotty to say the least, It often reports one or two stops off. For such an expensive adapter and having to pay premium prices for the R lenses with ROM, this is definitely disappointing to say the least.

I also have an R 35-70 Vario-Elmar zoom without the ROM contacts, it's easy to set the lens in the menu system, but there is no EXIF transfer. However the photo taking is the same with stop down metering, and the pics turn out fine, you just don't get any EXIF recorded. But since the release of the SL, those R lenses with ROM contacts are skyrocketing in price.

Just thought I'd let some of you know, if you pay the premium price for an R lens with ROM, you may be disappointed in the results as far as the recording of EXIF goes.

Somewhat disappointed in the performance as far as the EXIF transfer to camera info goes.

It does recognize the lens OK as a 50mm Summicron, but the transfer of the f stop is spotty to say the least, It often reports one or two stops off. For such an expensive adapter and having to pay premium prices for the R lenses with ROM, this is definitely disappointing to say the least.

The R Adapter SL doesn't transmits the aperture in use on the R lenses to the SL.

ROM or no ROM.

The aperture is only guesstimated by the camera itself thanks to the second lightmeter located on the front of the SL.

The estimes aperture will be a little bit more accurate with ROM, because the camera will know the minimum and maximum apertures available on the lens and will then not estimate an aperture outside the available range of apertures.

As an example, with you ROM 50/2 it will not estimate an aperture of f1.4.

Edited by Leicaiste

One caveat: just like with the R8 and R9, be careful using one- or two-cam lenses on the R Adapter L. Three-cam, R-only, and ROM lenses will all be fine. 

The issue is that the one- and two-cam lens cams can damage the contacts in the adapter, just like they can damage the contacts in the R8 and R9 bodies. These are all very old lenses now, but I still have a couple of them that were never upgraded. 

The cam that could potentially damage the contacts is the first cam, used by the original Leicaflex and by the Leicaflex SL2.  This cam is also present in 3-cam lenses so I don't see how 1- or 2-cam lenses could be a problem and 3-cam lenses are not.  I never had any problems using 3-cam lenses on the R8.  The problem with 1- and 2-cam lenses on R bodes was either inaccurate metering or contact between the 2nd cam and the camera's 3rd-cam follower that might have bent the 3rd-cam follower.

The cam that could potentially damage the contacts is the first cam, used by the original Leicaflex and by the Leicaflex SL2.  This cam is also present in 3-cam lenses so I don't see how 1- or 2-cam lenses could be a problem and 3-cam lenses are not.  I never had any problems using 3-cam lenses on the R8.  The problem with 1- and 2-cam lenses on R bodes was either inaccurate metering or contact between the 2nd cam and the camera's 3rd-cam follower that might have bent the 3rd-cam follower.

I've had no problems using 3cam lenses on the R8 either. But Leica warns against using the 1cam and 2cam lenses on the R8/R9 bodies for reason of interference between the cam and the electrical contacts, so I've never risked it. My assumption is that they changed the tolerances or design of the matching cams on the 3cam lens mount assembly. 

That's as much as I know about it. I don't risk using lenses that the manufacturer says might cause damage; I figure they know more than I do about this aspect of their equipment. 

I've had no problems using 3cam lenses on the R8 either. But Leica warns against using the 1cam and 2cam lenses on the R8/R9 bodies for reason of interference between the cam and the electrical contacts, so I've never risked it. My assumption is that they changed the tolerances or design of the matching cams on the 3cam lens mount assembly. 

That's as much as I know about it. I don't risk using lenses that the manufacturer says might cause damage; I figure they know more than I do about this aspect of their equipment. 

Converting a 2-cam lens to 3-cam involves adding the 3rd cam, nothing more.  Changing the specs of the first cam would make the Leicaflex (original) meter inaccurate and would make the aperture display in the SL2's viewfinder inaccurate.

Part of the reason that ROM lenses are more expensive is that they are newer. Hence they are often in better condition and may have improved coatings or better optical designs such as the 28mm v2, Apo 90 or E60 Summilux 50mm. Limited production runs towards the end of R production also makes many ROM lenses quite rare.

• Like 1

Looking back at my experience with the SL since December 2015, first together with the two stacked adapters, and then with the R Adapter-SL, I would never recommend to buy any non-ROM Vario zoom to be mounted on the SL.

I have used the ROM 28-90 with the SL since the beginning and the ease of use was vastly improved by the ROM transmission of the actual focal length.

And regarding fixed focal lenses, I don't have to worry anymore about forgetting to change the setting in the SL list of R lenses.

Like when I switch from the 19v2 to the 80/1,4 or 180/2,8.

With the R adapter-SL, my rate of blurred pictures has certainly dropped.

Now, if I hadn't kept my R lenses ROM, I would have used the SL only with my M lenses (6 bit).

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 1

Converting a 2-cam lens to 3-cam involves adding the 3rd cam, nothing more.  Changing the specs of the first cam would make the Leicaflex (original) meter inaccurate and would make the aperture display in the SL2's viewfinder inaccurate.

I hear ya, Doug, that sounds logical. I just stay conservative on this and do what Leica suggests doesn't potentially damage the equipment. And recommend the same when offering recommendations/opinions to others. I don't want to suggest something that might work but could potentially cause damage. 

What you or others do is up to you, of course.  :)

• Like 1