Recommended SD Card and Card Reader ?

Mike CDR

If you are using the latest MBP or other laptop with USB-C ports only, I can recommend the Kiwibird USB-C to SD card and USB3-A adapter. This is a much neater device than the Sandisk with the SD/Micro SD card plugging into the side rather than the end and the added benefit of having a USB3-A converter as well. It is also less than half the price of the Sandisk device. It seems well enough made and has a neat matching cover for the USB-C plug. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I got so excited about the KiwiBird -- but we can't get it in the States, pfffft!

I have an older, heavy 15" MBP with a card reader in it but just picked up a used 12" Retina for travel... Guess i'll have to wait until I'm back in Europe to order this. TA, Wilson, for the suggestion.

Really depends on your computer and which ports you have.

If you are on latest MBPro: 

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKR62ZM/A/sandisk-extreme-pro-sd-uhs-ii-card-usb-c-reader?fnode=57cfc1758aee51e5f0d4af5b504476d198c002d6ba3f0561c5ba0442de00c771f7bfaa6d0fd0541232e43ba4fe459261fd1b3603a8506d7ed6a9893c258fee6727594c1adcf598dc6aec0598775262fb087e4a2b2b414bdf674fed9709fe5c76

I've used several readers including the one above...but this is the best IMO, especially if you have UHS-II cards.

The flexibility is very helpful because most card readers are so long...plus its faster with UHS-II cards and the SD card fits fully inside the reader.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When my system doesn't have a built-in SD card port, I use a Lexar Pro CF/SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader with USB3 connection. If I need to connect it to a USB-C port, the Apple USB3->C adapter works perfectly.

(Performance testing on my 2012 Mac mini desktop and 2016 MacBook Air 13" laptop systems shows that the built-in SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader is marginally faster than using the Lexar Pro card reader. Sometimes when I have a lot of cards to read and format I use the card reader anyway because it is more convenient than reaching around the back of the Mac mini to get to the card slot for each card.)

For connection to iOS devices, I use an Apple Lightning to SD Card Adapter.

There was a little flurry of M10 card incompatibility posts a week or two ago. They seem to have died down already, and I think a recent firmware update renders all the older reports obsolete now anyway. I don't have an M10 myself. But I suspect that any good quality class 10 SD/SDHC/SDXC card should work fine, and if one doesn't, it's probably an anomaly with a specific card or camera.

Edited by ramarren

If you are using the latest MBP or other laptop with USB-C ports only, I can recommend the Kiwibird USB-C to SD card and USB3-A adapter. This is a much neater device than the Sandisk with the SD/Micro SD card plugging into the side rather than the end and the added benefit of having a USB3-A converter as well. It is also less than half the price of the Sandisk device. It seems well enough made and has a neat matching cover for the USB-C plug. 

Wilson

This is great to know should I replace my ancient 17" mac pro laptop. My plans are on hold due to the 16GB limitation. Instead I may get a new graphics card that does 4K for my mac pro tower.

For those that have an older mac with only USB2 like my old pro tower, the newer Lexar flippy readers that do both SD and CF and are USB3 work well - the SD card reading speed is about is the same as with CF and not a lot slower than CF as in the older card readers with the same form factor but were USB2. I have used multiple copies of both models over the years with no issues even with damage to the flippy part on my oldest one (many years old and has been carried around quite a bit in various cases including being shoved alongside a lot of stuff in a briefcase).

• 7 months later...

Just a little update on SD card readers in late 2017. I needed one for a new usb-c Mac laptop, and I tried two.

First was Kingston FCR-MLG4 A.K.A. MicroLite G4, it looked cool, but the USB connector was oversized and it barely fit (jammed) into every USB port I found—it seemed like it was going to damage things over time. It also got really hot and stayed hot after the card was out. The SD slot also bunged up the little Avery sticky labels I add to my cards to number them. This thing sucks. Avoid it.

This week I got a Transcend TS-RDF5K reader. At around $10 it seemed like Leica guys would want more, but since we don't use SDXC and the extra contacts, good USB 3.0 readers really can be this cheap. It did ~89 read and ~69 write with with the AJA disk test util, faster than a 2017 iMac's internal SD reader. It's also a more regular square shape than the Kingston, so I can recommend it after just a little use. The design is good and electronics are fast enough for basically any SD card.

Edited by TX400