S conversions to B&W vs. MM1?

Deliberate1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Neil, obliged for yours. Very helpful to hear from an owner of both. As for buying more lenses, ten minutes ago I pulled the trigger on eBay for a Zeiss for Contax 210mm. I have the Zeiss 35mm and 120mm which are brilliant performers irrespective of the price. I paid $225 for 210mm. All I can say is thank you Leica for making that adapter available. It is the gateway to superb (and reliable) performance at an extraordinary price point.

David

You really should try and get yourself at least one Leica S lens.............for me that one lens would be the 120mm which is special, you can also pick up 70mm No CS for ~ $2800

Good luck with whatever you decide to get

I have had both and for me the S conversions are better - however, MM files don't really resemble anything else, they are a type all their own. They are very malleable and the type of pp can run the gamut of personal preferences. MM files are not organic in the same way as a converted S (or even M8/8.2) file is organic. This probably doesn't make any sense except to those who have done it. Just my opinion.

An additional thought: MM files are very, very clean. Maybe too clean. Today I would experiment with adding some grain, which I didn't do previously.

Just to clarify, I do not refer to the S007, as I have no experience with it, but the CCD version.

Edited by Photoskeptic
  • Like 1

You really should try and get yourself at least one Leica S lens.............for me that one lens would be the 120mm which is special, you can also pick up 70mm No CS for ~ $2800

Good luck with whatever you decide to get

Thanks, Neil. Actually,I have the 70mm and the 35mm, though not for long. The motor on the 35mm crapped out and will be headed to Germany replacement. Fortunately, I have the Zeiss 35mm as a back up. While I am sure that the Leica 120mm is a lovely piece of glass, the Zeiss is quite wonderful and does 1:1 macro.

David

Good luck with the 210. I have tried two copies of that lens and the focus on my S (006) was off. Since there is no focus microadjust, I returned the lenses. A shame, as my other Contax lenses are wonderful.

Matt

Have no problem with mine, and I have two of the lens.

• Like 1

I had the MM1 and now have the MM2 (246). I also own a S006.

I have made photos with the 246 and the S, carefully, from the same scene, using a tripod. The S wins for a noticeable margin.

The reasons for keeping the 246 are:

1. it's smaller and lighter;

2. it accepts the 28 PC (the shift lens made for the R), which is my standard lens;

3. the quality of the 246 is very high, and more than acceptable;

3. I like it.

NB The MM2 delivers a quality which is even better than the one from the MM1

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Converting digital color images to B&W using a competent post-processor can, depending upon the operator/user, produce far more sophisticated images than any monochrome Leica.

We agree at last..........hopefully this time our relationship can blossom :) :) 

Even SL files knock the spots off of it

SL plus 90mm APO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2