The little things we lose with the M10

ELAN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In one of the M10 review, the reviewer mentions..

" I wish the ‘A’ setting on the shutter speed dial had a firmer detent."

My M240 has a firmer detent for "A" and I can move it to A just by feel. Have they changed that for M10? 

I have no issues with mine. The A position feels different, although I've never tried adjusting mine by feel on either camera.

I just checked though and it is possible.

I have no issues with mine. The A position feels different, although I've never tried adjusting mine by feel on either camera.

I just checked though and it is possible.

My M9 didn't have the firmer detent for A. I certainly like it. Going from manual shutter speed to A can be done just by feel on M240.

I like the "T" setting on the power switch of the previous M's.  Used with "B" it allowed long exposures without a lock cable. But then I like using my M's on a tripod. No menu diving for T shots.

As for the ISO knob...well it's easier surely to press and hold, the ISO button, and roll the thumb wheel.  Yes??  This can be done at eye-level if necessary....not sure that can be done with a pop-up knob.

And the "short" battery life is a negative on the new M.

It's a nice looking camera though, and I'm sure anyone buying will be happy and adapt quickly.

cheers...

• Like 1

To me, any rangefinder and video seem like a pairing that is likely to fall short because of the lack of automatic focussing and the exposure, but I have no personal experience. Can anyone enlighten me, or point to examples on the web? Thanks. 

To me, any rangefinder and video seem like a pairing that is likely to fall short because of the lack of automatic focussing and the exposure, but I have no personal experience. Can anyone enlighten me, or point to examples on the web? Thanks. 

professionals never use AF or AE when shooting video. There is great potential in shooting professional video without these options in a compact rangefinder.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 3

Video with the Noct is heaven...I would relish using a rangefinder for this kind of work..too bad the m10 is a non starter here..when it could have probably been added easily..but maybe they didn't put it in for battery issues and overheating in the smaller body..who knows..but for me..its a factor keeping me away from this cam..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Battery life is excellent. I went out to the march in Washington yesterday with a full battery, shot 220 pictures, and my battery indicator read 75%. That's really excellent.

If you let Drive be one of the options in the Favorited menu, it will take a second or two to switch to continuous. I'd rather have ISO on the body than continuous, as I use it more.

Don't need the level.

All in, the M10 is a nice improvement over the M-240, and the images have what seem to my eye to be much more natural color rendering.

• Like 4

Video with the Noct is heaven...I would relish using a rangefinder for this kind of work..too bad the m10 is a non starter here..when it could have probably been added easily..but maybe they didn't put it in for battery issues and overheating in the smaller body..who knows..but for me..its a factor keeping me away from this cam..

The M240 is still available. 

• Like 2

Option to shoot uncompressed files.Please do not say "lossless = lossless", unless you have actually taken the time to test with 100s of files.In the case of Sony, certainly lossless does not equal lossless, no matter the claims. I don't shoot the 240 so I can't compare.

Lossless is lossless. If a compression is lossy and the manufacturer claims otherwise, they probably lie to their customers about many other things, too.

• Like 1

I miss video (expected 4k) and direct control for drive mode. I guess one may use continuous by default if the menu implementation is not convenient enough. But I don't see the point of removing a useful control and putting nothing in its place. I am surprised if there really are many users who accidentally put their camera in the wrong mode. For such users you really need an always-on mode with no switch.

One loss I haven't seen in the thread - we lose the ability to shoot tethered to a computer and to run off of AC power (via the multifunction hand grip). Now it's only wifi hrougj a smart device, which in my experience is not as responsive.

Also the multifunction hand grip allowed GPS without having to have the evf plugged in.

About the aperture guess: (for better understanding)

There is no aperture data in the EXIF.

Is this because the M10 does bot have a sensor for this guess ? Or is there a sensor, but the software does not write it correctly into the EXIF ?

Maybe an addition to the note above. WiFi with an app is usually more user friendly (stable and responsive) than tethering. So this change could be regarded as an improvement.   :D

Edited by steppenw0lf

The first thing we lose is 3.5 mm - which is a surprisingly large amount. I'd not thought it would make much difference, but it changes the handling for me - and makes things like getting it in and out of a camera bag etc easier. Waiting for the battery to charge so that I can format a card, but in the meantime the comparison of the baseplates is revealing. M10 in front, M-240 behind.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

More anon....

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 4

The first thing we lose is 3.5 mm - which is a surprisingly large amount.  Waiting for the battery to charge so that I can format a card, but in the meantime the comparison of the baseplates is revealing.

attachicon.gifIMG_1432-2.jpg

More anon....

Is it the first thing we lose?

The first thing I'd lose would be about £3000 if I traded in my M240 to pay for 3.6 mm less and a shorter battery life.

• Like 2

Little things to some; big things to others. That's the way it will always be, inevitably. 

In my case, the 'little things' that are lost are truly little, except for the battery life. I've rarely used more than one battery per day with the M240, and going back to less would be unpleasant. All the other stuff mentioned in this thread, like video, tethering and electronic level are non-issues to me because that's not the way I use M cameras. 24mp is fine; I have other cameras for higher mp that are better suited for that role in any case. In fact, my most used cameras for the last 4-5 years produce only 16mp, which is completely adequate. For those, and Leica M, a photo will not be better because of more mp, but because it is responsive and it does not get in the way of taking the photo. To each his own.

What is not so little, and is definitely a factor is that cost of upgrading.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...