Leitz Filca (type C)

These are very rare and are rarely seen as they were withdrawn very soon after they were introduced around 1932. In one of his books Jim Lager, who is an authority on such matters, says that he had never seen one of these. I have two FILCA C cassettes for which I paid a high price at auction. It was the only time that I have seen any for auction/sale. I did ask before on this forum whether anyone else had a FILCA C and I got no response.

William

thank you very much, keep looking.

I have a very rare Filca, you know him?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 5 months later...

He completado mi colección de FILCAS.

• Like 6

He completado mi colección de FILCAS.

Well done on completing this set. Your FILCA C is just like my two. The FILCA D interests me as I have all of the others and I have never seen a photo of the D before. When I went looking for one all I could find evidence of was the Agfa-Leitz film cassette. My understanding is that Leica abandoned the FILCA C very quickly and that is why it is so rare. They then planned the FILCA D, but this quickly became the Agfa-Leitz cassette. Is your FILCA D marked Leica or Leitz or is there some reference to Agfa on it? 

I would be most interested in getting some details so that I would know what to look for.

William

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello William,

I haven't seen that old Filca C topic. I own 3 of them bought by chance! And so at a very good price 

The first one was in a batch of 20 cassettes bought at 50 €, the 2 others in an aluminium container at 75 €...it's the container that interested me, they were in a very nice condition, but for me they were Filca like the other A and B... I see that they are rare. It would seem that there are several models of Filca C, the first one is rounded but I don't have the photo, the 2 others are straight (photos attached).

I have never seen them again, when you find them, it's by chance...they are mixed with others or in a lot that has nothing to do...even collectors don't know this model !

With the 6 C-cassettes listed we have maybe 50 % of the ones that survived !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PG Black nickel said:

Hello William,

I haven't seen that old Filca C topic. I own 3 of them bought by chance! And so at a very good price 

The first one was in a batch of 20 cassettes bought at 50 €, the 2 others in an aluminium container at 75 €...it's the container that interested me, they were in a very nice condition, but for me they were Filca like the other A and B... I see that they are rare. It would seem that there are several models of Filca C, the first one is rounded but I don't have the photo, the 2 others are straight (photos attached).

I have never seen them again, when you find them, it's by chance...they are mixed with others or in a lot that has nothing to do...even collectors don't know this model !

With the 6 C-cassettes listed we have maybe 50 % of the ones that survived !

This may be the thread you are looking for.

Well done on your purchase at a very reasonable price. I would like to see anything relating to there being two different types of FILCA C, something I was not aware of before. It seems to me that by far the most common type of FILCA is the B. The A came with some early cameras. The C was introduced, but was only around for a short time before being replaced by the D , but that too is rare and is most commonly seen as the Agfa-Leitz cassette. It is another one of those Leica stories that is not yet fully documented.

William

• 3 weeks later...

Hi william,

I found my third Filca C. It's different from the other two, so I've attached some pictures to compare. Straight or convex exit, beads on the coils or not, lower part higher. I think the straight exits are the oldest and were modified afterwards to make the film easier to release. It seems that there is a third version seen at Westlicht in 2005 or 2015. It's amazing considering how short it's been on the market, one or two months I think!

I also found a D-cassette, it's engraved Agfa and leitz and a KOOBF (huge)!

Philippe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PG Black nickel said:

I also found a D-cassette, it's engraved Agfa and leitz

Well done on the Agfa/Leitz cassette as that is what we assume is the evolution of the FILCA D. I have figured out how the base plate opens and closes the FILCA A and the FILCA B as the little knob is essential, but while I have two FILCA Cs I have not yet figured how it works without the little knob, unless a new type of base plate design was used. 

Now for a story about a FILCA B or more precisely  the contents of one. I have various FILCAs that I have picked up with various cameras and on their own over the years. One of the sources was a box of FILCAs that I got with a Leica IIIa that I received from Sweden. Inside the cover it has details written of photos taken with a IIIa in 1935 in Sweden, Great Britain and Germany during 1935. Here is the box which now includes other FILCAs including my C items. Indeed some of the FILCAs that were in the box are elsewhere in my collection now.

Anyway I had a FILCA B with Black and White film in it when I got it about 5 years ago, but I could not remember if it had been in this box or came with another camera, a black Model III from the mid 1930s. Recently with the help of a friend who is expert in such things I developed the film carefully using 'stand development'. The results showed a man and a woman on a trip around Switzerland about 70 years ago in a Bavarian registered BMW from the mid 1930s. There are post war American cars in some of the photos. This eliminates the 1935 photos, but the IIIa is still on the list as they could have been a Swedish couple who hired a BMW in Bavaria. The mid 1930s camera is also on the suspect list, but I really should have kept the cameras and FILCAs together. There are some mysteries here, not least why the roll of film had not been developed in the 70 or so year period since the photos were taken. I really would like to contact the family of the people in the photos and give them the photos 70 years later. It is likely that the couple have passed away at this stage. The second point is the remarkable quality of some of the images which spent 70 years or so in latent form in a FILCA B . Here is one of the images which I showed in my LHSA ZOOM presentation tonight. 

The real point here is that while FILCAs are mere artefacts they sometimes carry stories or mysteries around in them for 70 years.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

From what I have read, the FILCA type C or labyrinth does not open in the camera as the film just slides through the gap between the two shells, so does not need the knob to connect with the base key.

The FILCA D came out with the model II, and at that time at least some Leica II were provided with a couple of FILCA D - which also don't open in the camera (felt seals). Those model II bodies originally had no baseplate key to open a FILCA A or B - so perhaps the FILCA C dates from that time for use in these early model II bodies. I'd guess the users wanted the baseplate key (most were updated to have it), so Leitz had no reason to continue the C or D after that brief period.

2 hours ago, maxspbr said:

I didn't understand how the FILCA C works. How is the labyrinth? 

This is the page explaining the FILCA C in my 1933 Vith Leica Handbook.

Thanks!

But where is the labyrinth? I only see a window, almost the same as I find on regular FILCAs.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, Pyrogallol said:

This is the page explaining the FILCA C in my 1933 Vith Leica Handbook.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just picked up these so thought I’d add to the list of ones found!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...