Problem with Summarit 50mm f/2.5: flare or lemon?

faxao

You may wish to compare to my pic above:

post-385-0-23562100-1462192525.jpg

I got it when i shot sans hood at 10AM with the sun outside the frame. 

I have not the lens with me here but i can redo it at will.

Seems same issue. Shot also this morning with sun not directly in lens and without lenshood. Never use lenshood and never experienced this problem. Is it something to worry about? Meaning: send camera and/or lens to leica for revision?

It will do it again as long as you don't use it with a hood i'm afraid but you may wish to ask Leica to be sure. If your lens is under warranty i would try to trade it for a new Summarit 50/2.4 (not 2.5) but i don't know if the latter has the same problem at all.

All

Finger or not in the picture that started the thread, I think I encoutered a similar problem earlier today. But I'm not sure.

Do any of you have an idea what may be the cause of the problem? Sensor problem, lens problem, sun, ...

(I was using a 50mm summarit 2.5)

It was definitely due to my finger ;-D

Yves

That is typical flare.

Use a hood, or try and keep the sun off the front lens element (shade it with your hand or similar)

The genuine Leica hood is rather pricey, i grabbed a cheap generic 39mm hood on ebay for about $6AUD including shipping.

Edited by Echo63

All

Finger or not in the picture that started the thread, I think I encoutered a similar problem earlier today. But I'm not sure.

Do any of you have an idea what may be the cause of the problem? Sensor problem, lens problem, sun, ...

(I was using a 50mm summarit 2.5)

It was definitely due to my finger ;-D

Yves

My 50mm F2.5 does this as well when you point it towards the sun.  Use a hood, tuck your fingers, and its a decent little lens.

Thank you for your suggestion. I do not have big hands but I cannot exclude my left index has occasionally been put in front of the lens. I will take some extra care during my next shootings and try to find out whether it was my fault or not.

Curious of your results. Please share.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first roll I shot with the v1 4.5/15 voigtlander all had a mysterious shape on one side. I was my blooming knuckles from my left hand holding the camera. That lens is too short and too wide! The whole roll with knuckles in every shot!

With longer lenses I stick to using the strap as a mysterious addition.

I'm yet to try my finger though.

You should also try it in black and white, it gets trickier without the flesh coloured hints! BTW, I laughed out load a few times throughout this thread. Classic.

Michael

This thread is haunting me..... Loosing sleep over the lack of feedback from the OP....

Was it a lemon? Was it flare? or was it............ a finger?

Pleeeeeease relieve us from our anxiety. 

ahahah did not have time to shoot with tmy beloved M-P (and the Summarit) lately but be sure I will report my tests here as soon as I have time to perform them. I do not want you to lose your sleep on this !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...