Does anyone use a lenshood on their M6 ?

I don't have an M6 but I've had an M2 for 36 years if that counts?

I always use a hood. Always.

Even modern coatings can't negate flare 100% of the time; my work in the studio teaches me that every working day of my life and as Steve says (above) the left hand is best put to use in holding the camera steady - not in some vague hope that it's waving around in precisely the right place to act as a lens shade.

But hey, we all have different priorities, experiences and techniques. YMMV as they write.

Pip.

Hello Scott,

Welcome to the Forum.

As per your Post #19, just above:

A Leitz "0" yellow filter is a light yellow filter. The Leitz "1" is a medium yellow filter which is the same as a Wratten #8.

"Skylight filters" are a pale, not very dense, sort of "pinkish".

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Good topic, thanks for starting it.

As discussed, hoods protect physically and protect optically from flare.  I think of them as cheap insurance on the first point, and an extra bit of color saturation on the second point.

But then I realize, I don't use a hood with my little RX-100M3, my X-100T, or several other walk-around toys.  I don't have a hood for my Summicron on my iiiG.  Even my iPhone doesn't have a hood, so if you just stay aware of where the dominant light source is, will it strike the front element, and then preview or chimp the image to see if you have any undesirable flare, you can get along fine without one.  Heck, you might even make some money with flare - see J. J. Abrams.

Happy shooting.

Shading the lens with the spare hand comes in the 'A' for effort category, but 'C' for effect. Not only are you using a hand to shade the lens and not steadying the camera but it is a hopeful action at best

Steve

Actually, Steve, that's what large, floppy hats are for...  they're much more effective at shading the lens (well, actually likely the whole camera...)  but they're also much easier to inadvertently get into the frame!  

And, yes, Michael, they do afford some minor protection to the lens...  but it's minimal.  Last time I had a "lens" accident, the lens mount separated from the lens as the lens and body parted ways.  The factory lens hood did nothing to limit the damage to the lens.  Actually, it may have even contributed to the force applied to the lens mount when it fell.

But hey... whatever works for you.  It's all good. 

Edited by hepcat

Not only on my M6 but my other Leicas and Rolleis too

I always use the correct lens hood  with my lenses so I cannot say whether it does make a difference or not.  Likewise, I always put the lens caps on when they're not in use: one thing that is convienient having modest aperture lenses with the same size caps and filters.

However I have been told that when lenses are in a display case, they should not have the lens caps on as that could promote fungus growth due to a lack of air circulation.

Susie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It does no harm to use a lens hood if its there. I do have some lenses that flare very easily (MS Optical 50/1.1) but I use lens hoods often. 

I am intrigued to learn how those with an M? can shade the lens with their hand and know that they are not putting their hand in the frame?

Hello Everybody,

A correction of the filter factor for a Leitz's #1 yellow filter in my Post #23 above:

Leitz #                           0           1             2              3         Yellow

Filter Factor                 1.5       1.5            2              3

Equal to Wratten                        6              8

Equal to                                    K1            K2

Best Regards,

Michael

I am intrigued to learn how those with an M? can shade the lens with their hand and know that they are not putting their hand in the frame?

A hand far from the lens can shade the front element more easilly than right next to the lens; and is easier to estimate to be out of the arc of view.

Though if the angles are tight a couple of safety shots would not hurt.

In the film world, there is device called a cameraman's flag. 

6CINE_IMG_5766_BC__43399.1331145530.1280

Edited by FrozenInTime

I have never used a lens hood because 1) a bit of lens flare adds character to the images, 2) lens hoods add too much size to a very small and compact rangefinder setup, and 3) I use contrast filters a lot and don't like the extra step of having to remove the hood first, screw in the filer, then screw back the hood.

Summicron 50 lenses are the best flare resistant in my arsenal of 50mm.

;) Less so with the first collapsible version.

Even then if there is no filter, flare is not so common.

Just today, I use a 50mm Summicron all sunny day with no hood (no filter also) : zero flare, even in contre-jour at mediterranean seaside.

Regards,

Arnaud

Odd, the 50 Summicron is the worst flaring lens I have ever had, although in all other respects I love it.  I have the version with the integral sliding hood, but prefer to use a round rigid hood for its physical protection.  I find one or the other hood essential.

My 35 Summicron also performs better with a hood, but is much less flare-prone.