Dust Cleaner

mas

Doesn't it open the shutter while you give the sensor a good scrub?

There are two parts to it: Dust detection that displays the dust on sensor (follow step by step instruction). Open shutter that then allows you to clean sensor, then go back to Dust detection to inspect cleaning procedure and repeat if necessary. I can clean the sensor that there is no speck of dirt at all using Dust detection function. Wet cleaning can be scary at first, I would suggest practising it on a filter to get a hang of it. Good luck.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All I can say is that compared to my other two  systems, both of which have vibrating sensors, neither of which has IBS, the M seems far and away more dust prone.  I don't buy the size argument, given the A7. If indeed there is a technical reason for its omission, I'd postulate its down to a belief that the a sensor thats capable of moving around is by definition less precisely aligned than one that can't.  Regardless, its lack is not that much of a burden.  That said, I do changes lenses often and find that I spend more time in post dealing with cleaning up skies with the M than the other cameras I own.  

• Like 1

The sensor itself does not vibrate, the low-pass filter does (At least, with Nikon and Canon) . Leica does not use a low-pass filter, so they would have to vibrate the IR filtering cover glass. Leica keeps the cover glass as thin as technically possible. We have already seen one spate of cracking cover glasses, without them being vibrated.

The sensor itself does not vibrate, the low-pass filter does (At least, with Nikon and Canon) . Leica does not use a low-pass filter, so they would have to vibrate the IR filtering cover glass. Leica keeps the cover glass as thin as technically possible. We have already seen one spate of cracking cover glasses, without them being vibrated.

Thats the original method, but AFAIK later other manufacturers opted to physically vibrate the sensor assembly.  Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Olympus all are AA-less cameras, all with dust cleaning facilities. Olympus and others have gone a step further and are now physically shifting the sensor position during exposure to take 40MP images with 16 MP sensors.