Dust Cleaner

mas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there some good reason why Leica is not including an automatic dust cleaning feature in their M's?  It's a necessary feature on a digital camera.  The lack of this vibration/sonic whatever is the deciding factor in my upcoming purchase.

While I also use Nikons with a "shake sensor" and am pleased with it's performance, it's been my experience that for whatever reason the M240 sensor is a bit easier to clean to begin with.  There's a current thread going on about sensor cleaning so I won't wast more space on that, but it's probably worth a read if you haven't done so already.

To actually address your question, I'd hazard a guess that, as Leica was kinda late to the high end digital party anyway, they either don't have the capability to produce this feature or don't think it is to their financial advantage to do so.  I'm thinking the latter.

You might ask the same question regarding programable buttons, advanced metering, vibration reduction systems, and autofocus.  This stuff is just not at the forefront of the preferred feature set for the Leica demographic.

Edited by Schrödinger's cat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The problem is space... They get hammered already for not making their cameras film size. Having sensor cleaning would add another 1-2 mm. They have access to the latest technology through Panasonic.

I knew there was a good reason I don't want sensor cleaning 

The problem is space... They get hammered already for not making their cameras film size. Having sensor cleaning would add another 1-2 mm. They have access to the latest technology through Panasonic.

Ah.  Reduced size being one of the most desirable hoped for features of a new model.  Doesn't sound good for getting a shake sensor next year :)

Shaking sensors go hand in hand with in-camera image stabilisation, and that is the big item Leica is missing if it is to continue the slow march of progress with the M. But shaking the sensor simply to clean it isn't the panacea people think it is. It isn't foolproof and can't remove sticky dust so even if Leica adopted the system there would still be whines beginning 'I paid $XXXX for this camera and it's outrageous I still get dust on my sensor.......' . So it's best just to accept what you get and learn to adapt, and if that is impossible the OP should definitely NOT buy an M camera. 

Steve

• Like 2

My feeling is that to bring the digital M's up to the same level of utility as the film models, something should be done to reduce the need for extra care or maintenance.  I never had to wet clean the inside of my film M's.  As far as the other digital camera features people have mentioned, those are in a different category, extras.

Probably the answer to my question lies in a combination of replies to this post.  Thanks for your input everyone.

In a film camera you have to develop the "sensor" after taking 36 frames. That's much more frequent and much more complicated than cleaning a sensor and has a much greater influence on the final image. Some enjoy doing that, some don't.

• Like 2

I do remember that when I selected the M, sensor cleaning was a worry. Clearly not enough to dissuade the purchase, but a concern nonetheless. Doing a first wet clean was a scary moment and seeing residue on the sensor subsequently made it worse. By the time I had used a second swap with better results, confidence returned. Until one has done this once, it's something unfamiliar and uncomfortable. Maybe a purchase should come with an in-store maintenance and handling session.

• Like 1

I ordered a gel stick cleaner from Photography Life after watching a couple of videos. Looks like an excellent, non-wet method of taking just about anything off a sensor without depositing even more "stuff" on it.

My M262 is supposed to be here tomorrow. As soon as I have the gel stick I am going to work on a couple of spots on my M9 sensor that no amount of wind from the rocket blower seems to be able to dislodge.

Is there some good reason why Leica is not including an automatic dust cleaning feature in their M's? It's a necessary feature on a digital camera. The lack of this vibration/sonic whatever is the deciding factor in my upcoming purchase.

The good reason is that the 1.0 mm cover glass would break.

The M240 does have a dust-locator utility.  So far, using that, neither of my M240's has needed wet-cleaning.  Both cameras were factory refurbed, so they were both cleaned before I bought them, and both are beyond the initial period where the shutter spits lube on the sensor glass.