3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...Oddly, when I preview this image its loses all its sparkle and luster as well as its picking up some of noise and losing most of its vitality... What am I doing wrong? Jpeg looks pretty good on my desktop until I upload it...

attachicon.gifL1010157.jpg

What are you using to output the JPEG? The EXIF data does not show any profile and rather minimal EXIF information.

The likelihood is that whatever you're using to create the JPEG is outputting it in the wrong colorspace. It's best to be sure that JPEGs are converted to sRGB and outputted with a colorspace tag for that. Otherwise, IME, you often see shifts in colors. 

Oddly, when I preview this image its loses all its sparkle and luster as well as its picking up some of noise and losing most of its vitality... What am I doing wrong? Jpeg looks pretty good on my desktop until I upload it...

How do I upload photos to the forum?

What's the size limit for uploading photos?

Why does the forum shrink my photos and adds ugly artifacts?

Could you post a picture showing the lens attached to the SL?  Want to see how big the whole package is.  Thanks.

Here is a quick shot outside my front door. SL W/Hasselblad 150CF ISO 50@1/200 handheld. Its actually pretty windy here in NY today, I'm surprised I was able to get such a sharp image.

Oddly, when I preview this image its loses all its sparkle and luster as well as its picking up some of noise and losing most of its vitality... What am I doing wrong? Jpeg looks pretty good on my desktop until I upload it...

attachicon.gifL1010157.jpg

Here is is with the 24-90 for reference. The Sonnar 150mm with its hood is of course longer.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

After a bit of research I'm finding that the Hassy 150/4 or 180/4 can be a very relevant and cost-effective choice for me to cover my telephoto needs.  Do you have much experience with the 180/4?

Here is is with the 24-90 for reference. The Sonnar 150mm with its hood is of course longer.

After a bit of research I'm finding that the Hassy 150/4 or 180/4 can be a very relevant and cost-effective choice for me to cover my telephoto needs.  Do you have much experience with the 180/4?

I only own the 50, 80 and 150. I do not own a 180 nor have I any experience with it. Sorry, wish I could help. I'm sure a lot of old info on Hassy exists online. Maybe over at Luminous or Getdpi forums. I recall photo.net had a lot of older Hassy postings. 

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just picked up the SL last week, didn't think I would since I LOVE my M240 and my other M's and was really looking forward to potentially and S.

So what people are saying is you can stack adapters? Like the T to M from Leica to a say Contax G to M adapter (Novoflex or whatever?) 

Wouldn't this fuck with the length to the sensor too much?

Any examples?

It fits the SL nicely and offers excellent quality. You would almost think it is a native lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just picked up the SL last week, didn't think I would since I LOVE my M240 and my other M's and was really looking forward to potentially and S.

So what people are saying is you can stack adapters? Like the T to M from Leica to a say Contax G to M adapter (Novoflex or whatever?) 

Any examples?

Contax G won't work (at least at the moment), but there you see an ordinary Contax.

Stephan

Any examples?

Why? If you have an adapter that accurately sets the flange to sensor register for a Leica M lens, why would putting another adapter that accurately sets the distance for BrandX to Leica M "fuck with the length to the sensor too much"? 

Rather a crude way to put it, don't you think?  :unsure:

Does anyone have experience with the Canon EF 11-24mm f4L USM Lens on the SL? I'm looking for an ultra-wide zoom lens and was told recently by Leica Germany that an ultra-wide zoom is not on top of their priority list. Thanks, Helmut

No, but maybe two other interesting options:

I like to use the    Nikon AF-S 17-35 f/2.8D IF-ED   which is probably not wide enough, but the range is quite universal and the 2.8 aperture is very nice.

The   Nikon AF-S 14-24 f/2.8G ED  found a lot of praise, though it is too big for my taste.

But my favourite UWA is the WATE. It is tiny, but a real zoom on the SL. But has a limited range, at least on paper (16-21).

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Sorry if this was addressed; did not take time to peruse the entire thread.  What brand adapters are available to use Canon lenses on the SL?  Will be purchasing the SL soon and will use with my Leica M lenses.  Being able to use Canon on the SL until I can transition to the SL-native zooms will ease the financial pain in the short run!

Look at this thread:   http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/260310-ef-lenes-for-sl/

Attaching FD lenses is no problem. But currently no aperture control or AF for EOS lenses. Use them at full aperture or use a Canon to set the desired aperture.

Write to the adaptor makers and ask when they will support it. Many letters/questions could maybe influence them.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

... The   Nikon AF-S 14-24 f/2.8G ED  found a lot of praise, though it is too big for my taste ...

I loved this lens (had it nicked).

Sorry if this has been asked before, but presumably on the SL it suffers from the same problems with aperture control as the Canon lenses?  I would love such a lens in SL mount.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but presumably on the SL it suffers from the same problems with aperture control as the Canon lenses?  I would love such a lens in SL mount.

It's a Nikon G lens, the iris actuation is mechanical. The Novoflex mount adapter gives you aperture control with a supplementary ring. 

Just look for nikon G adapters in ebay or amazon or one of the big suppliers. You will find quite a lot of them at all sorts of prices.

Look for Nikon G to Leica T, but/or more popular and affordable are Nikon G to Leica M adapters.

Only the Nikon E lenses have currently aperture control problems with the SL. They are mainly teles and so can be used wide open (e.g. the Nikon 300mm F4 PF lens, which is extraordinarily small and light) without too much of a problem.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:  If this combo has been discussed previously, I apologize in-advance.  Didn't feel like reading 4 pages of messages!  

My 35 Summilux is in the shop, so I'm renting the Zeiss 35mm F2.  Without any profile, there's huge vignetting which is what I was told would happen.  When I use the 35mm Summicron pre asph (35 F2/11310 in camera settings) the vignetting disappears, which is great.  However, regardless of using or not using a profile, at F 2, there's severe smearing at the edges all along the frame from top to bottom. I'd estimate that a good 25% of the frame on either side is soft.  At F5.6, the smearing disappears. Extremely disappointing wide open.  I was going to look at the Voightlander 35 1.2, because I do like shooting wide open.  Can't imagine how that lens would render at the edges at 1.2 :(

I shot a job with the 35 1.4 Leica lens before it went into the shop, but I was not shooting anything close to wide open, so I can't compare to the Zeiss until it returns from repair