3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

I think it is not officially supported - but this is just a guess.

You could try a Fotodiox   Contax645 to Nikon adapter and a Nikon to SL adapter - which is a lower priced alternative.

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-pro-lens-mount-adapter-contax-645-w-iris-lens-to-nikon-dslr-camera-adapter.html

Edited by steppenw0lf

You can use cinema lenses with PL mount on the SL camera with the PL adapter. http://cw-sonderoptic.com/sl-pl-mount/

There is also a PL adapter from Novoflex: http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/09/novoflex-announces-pl-mount-cine-lens-adapter-for-leica-sl/

Using a cinema lens is probably the best option.

You can buy the sigma lenses also in EOS mount and there is a Novoflex AF adapter for Canon EOS lenses to Leica SL.

But I do not know if these lenses are supported (meaning if they are correctly recognized and the AF works).

Do you need a zoom ? If not, you could use the Summilux-T 1.4/35mm lens and a Summicron-T 2/23mm lens.

There are also other T lenses like the 11-23, but they are slower.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Hello all, new to the forum and new Leica SL owner (currently being shipped). I've opted for the versatile 24-90 Leica lens, but feel that in some occasions the size might become and impediment to take the camera out, so i want to buy a small 35mm lens. My ideal choice would be the 35mm 1.4 Summilux but the price is too high, so i've been searching and came across the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm 1.2 ASPH (also an M-Mount). Question: has anyone had any experience with this lens? Any input is appreciated.

PS: Other 35mm lens suggestions are welcome.

Edited by fdalzaga

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, new to the forum and new Leica SL owner (currently being shipped). I've opted for the versatile 24-90 Leica lens, but feel that in some occasions the size might become and impediment to take the camera out, so i want to buy a small 35mm lens. My ideal choice would be the 35mm 1.4 Summilux but the price is too high, so i've been searching and came across the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm 1.2 ASPH (also an M-Mount). Question: has anyone had any experience with this lens? Any input is appreciated.

The latest Zeiss 35/1.4 is a fantastic lens. 

One of the few non Leica lenses where I have been happy that I wasn't taking 'second best' by choosing a non-native product. 

The latest Zeiss 35/1.4 is a fantastic lens. 

One of the few non Leica lenses where I have been happy that I wasn't taking 'second best' by choosing a non-native product. 

Just to make sure, you're referring to the Zeiss Distagon? (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081652-REG/zeiss_2112_846_35mm_f_1_4_black_lens.html).

I've read so me reviews and they all say its very sharp, with good contrast and excellente bokeh. Wish i had a comparison with the Voigtlander

Just to make sure, you're referring to the Zeiss Distagon? (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081652-REG/zeiss_2112_846_35mm_f_1_4_black_lens.html).

I've read so me reviews and they all say its very sharp, with good contrast and excellente bokeh. Wish i had a comparison with the Voigtlander. 

If you're in the States, why not rent both and do your own comparison?   https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica/lenses/wide-angle

I've briefly tested the Zeiss ZE 35/1.4 on the SL with the Novoflex Canon EF adapter and it's stunning. Very similar to the 35 'lux FLE, with perhaps better bokeh. Sharpness every bit as good as the Summilux wide open. Down side is the size, it's huge, probably a kilogram or more in weight.

I've briefly tested the Zeiss ZE 35/1.4 on the SL with the Novoflex Canon EF adapter and it's stunning. Very similar to the 35 'lux FLE, with perhaps better bokeh. Sharpness every bit as good as the Summilux wide open. Down side is the size, it's huge, probably a kilogram or more in weight.

On the Zeiss site they write the weight of the ZM is only 381g ...

Compared to that, the ZE seems a very poor choice. Maybe the suggestions could be a bit more clearly written down, to be really useful.   ;)

But the original question was probably about M lenses (so the ZM).

Edited by steppenw0lf

Yes .... the Distagon ZM is less compact than the Leica 35/1.4 FLE ..... but is not a heavy lens..... and definitely not 'huge' ...

Focussing is very easy and accurate, although getting used to changing the aperture with the ring on the front of the lens feels odd. 

Results are on par with the lux 35/1.4 but for well under half the cost. 

Edited by thighslapper

The new Sigma 12-24 f4 (Canon mount) w Novoflex adapter: a real winner. No observable distortion/curvature (and very good corners), sharp, fast focusing, works beautifully indoors w SF 40 or SF64 flash. The widest wide angle I have found for the SL, except for the Canon 11-24 f4, which is 2x the cost for 1mm more. The reviews were right about this superb lens. Vastly heavier and much larger of course than the WATE, but much more versatile, wider, longer, autofocus and less distortion. (I have not seen any.) it will be my go to architecture, real estate and landscape lens. I have not yet compared it to the superb Leica SEM 21, but will this weekend.

Edited by Ron Weissman
  • Like 2

You could also go for the Contax 1.4/35 as a temporary solution until the native Summicron-SL 35mm will arrive in about a year.

Or the Summilux-R 35mm. But both (all three) are bigger. The Summicron-R 35mm is smaller. (about the right size for the SL)

Edited by caissa

The new Sigma 12-24 f4 (Canon mount) w Novoflex adapter: a real winner. No observable distortion/curvature (and very good corners), sharp, fast focusing, works beautifully indoors w SF 40 or SF64 flash. The widest wide angle I have found for the SL, except for the Canon 11-24 f4, which is 2x the cost for 1mm more. The reviews were right about this superb lens. Vastly heavier and much larger of course than the WATE, but much more versatile, wider, longer, autofocus and less distortion. (I have not seen any.) it will be my go to architecture, real estate and landscape lens. I have not yet compared it to the superb Leica SEM 21, but will this weekend.

Thanks Ron. I'm extremely interested in this lens for the same reasons as you. Your initial findings are exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks.

Gordon

I thought some might be interested in this comparison.  The first was taken with my Rokinon 14mm/f2.8 that I originally bought to use on a Nikon D800e.  It mounted on my SL with a Novoflex adaptor.  It was shot wide open, hand held and processed in Lightroom.  I did apply the Lightroom "Auto" adjust for geometric distortion to remove the nearly fisheye like lens distortions.  The second shot is with the SL24-90.  I was surprised at how well this lens performed...especially considering its bargain basement price.

Mark

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Same scene SL24-90 at 24mm:

Edited by MEB
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

SL with 21mm Voigtländer Skopar. Very good for b/w but completly useless for colour.

Best regard

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I'm testing the SL with the Elmarit 24-90 and I'm also looking for the performance of the Sigma lenses with the novoflex adapter.

When I attach the novoflex SL/EOS and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART for Canon I have big focus problems. The combination is not working at all - it always ends up bringing the focus to infinity.

Do I have to do a special setting on the camera that I don't see? 

Thanks for your help.

edit: just found out that it says the lens is a canon 17-35 f2.8 L with IS on.... this is the information I read in the "hidden menu". Is there any possibilty to change that?

Edited by Vogelweide

You better contact Novoflex and tell them that the lens is not correctly recognized - maybe they can fix it somehow. (It is not user error or wrong settings on the camera if you are afraid of that.)

(If the lens has IS turn it definitely off - at the switch on the lens).

This belongs in a thread about the Novoflex AF adapter for EOS - maybe put it there as well. The chance is maybe better to find somebody with the same problem.

Edited by steppenw0lf