First peek at the new SL ?

earleygallery

Certainly looks a bit like a photoshop mock-up – the lens in particular looks like an S 70/F2.5 lens rather than any new system lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Yep, the one from Dr. Kaufmann page might be the real one or at least a prototype.

Somebody in Leica marketing has anticipated all this discussion so they have flooded rumour mill with photoshopped fakes while real deal was hand polished for official launch on 20 October.

Where is good Dr Rohde of Rohde & Schwarz fame when you need him?

• Like 1

With this new system, Leica will take time to develop lenses. The S lenses were released very slowly (Leica released an adapter for Hasseldlad lenses, I recall), and few T lenses have been developed (Leica released the M adapter).

We've all assumed that the new camera will use the T mount because it is big enough for full frame, but is it really likely that Leica will be giving buyers the choice of limited SL lenses and similarly limited (and constrained) APS-C T mount lenses?  Logic would suggest adapters for M & R lenses. 

How big big would this camera need to be to have an S mount? Or at least offer an S adapter?  I ask this from total technical ignorance, but if size and price are less an issue, is this likely? Or even possible?  Leica's full frame lenses are M and R - I would assume both will have adapters. What is the likelihood that Leica provides an S adapter? They are AF, high quality, and available ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

What would be the point to go to all that effort.

It doesn't appear a lot of effort to me, half an hour playing in Photoshop. The reason to make an effort, not deny rumours, and fuel the fire, is to build interest prior to release, it's the basis of modern advertising best exemplified by Apple. I expect the SL to be a 'mini S' designed for using R lenses and a new range of AF lenses, so any blurred picture of the S is 'good enough' if it mimics the general shape. 

I also hope it can use M lenses and not have blurred corners like Sony FF cameras, but in wishing for that it could see the decline of the M itself.

Steve

I also hope it can use M lenses and not have blurred corners like Sony FF cameras, but in wishing for that it could see the decline of the M itself.

I'd rather think that those who don't want to use an optical RF have cameras catering to their needs and preferences, with a few notable exceptions. Whence, adding a camera with other capabilities which can use M lenses in addition would rather add to the M market and not subtract, I would think.

I know that I use the M bodies for some of my photography, other products (preferrably with my M lenses) for other stuff where the optical finder is less than optimal.

• Like 3

Funny, I haven't seen anyone else assume this, 

T-mount, but full-frame is the lead rumour in Hong Kong right now. At least that I've heard.

An EVF + IBIS camera that I can attach any of my M, R, or S lenses to would be of interest to me. Those two features extend the shooting envelope. Otherwise I have all I need with the M and the S.

...on the other hand I'm just a camera geek who likes to present rational(ised) arguments for not entirely rational purchases. ;-)