How many of you wait for the "P"?

tthorne

Using a movie function on a still camera is the same as using a video camera for still images. Amateurish and a gimmick.

And therefore the video recorded in an amateurish way will not show the expected content?

If the P program devalues the regular models, Peter, wouldn't it be smarter not to avoid them and take advantage of their better value? :p

Perhaps, but rather like you, when I find I like the new camera that Leica have just announced I prefer not to wait a yet another uncertain year or so before I can buy a cosmetically improved version of it.

I'm not mature enough to have that kind of patience!

Edited by Peter H

Using a movie function on a still camera is the same as using a video camera for still images. Amateurish and a gimmick.

If one is shooting stills the ability to have a record of the peripherals is sometimes invaluable.

Additionally we have seen a number of highly professional films shot with for instance the M. Search the forum. The number of professional movie makers using 5Dx cameras is huge.

• Like 1

I used to be an early adaptor with the previous models. Given the auto ISO disaster with the M240 and its as of yet unresolved random freezes as well as other firmware bugs I will likely wait a while before I buy the next generation of the M. I might as well wait for the P and then decide whether I think it is worth its higher price tag.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The number of profession movie makers using 5Dx cameras is huge.

True but I bet by and large it's with image stabilized zooms and auto focus.   Shooting video with an M must be akin to shooting movies back in the day, and even those had multi-lens turrets for decades, and most of the time were used on dolly-mounted tripods.  My hat's off to anyone who puts the effort into developing the skills cinematographers had back then. 

Nonsense. Eventually, there won't be any difference between a still and a movie camera, as 99% of the technologies are the same.

The only problem with M240 videos is the awful MJPEG compression and the low resolution.

True but I bet by and large it's with image stabilized zooms and auto focus.   Shooting video with an M must be akin to shooting movies back in the day, and even those had multi-lens turrets for decades, and most of the time were used on dolly-mounted tripods.  My hat's off to anyone who puts the effort into developing the skills cinematographers had back then. 

Never heard of Cinema Vėritė? Handheld small cameras usually.

IS helps but it is not required.

AF is almost never used for pro movies.

Recently attended a conference about video production with numerous speakers who are highly successful professional videographers (news, documentary, artistic...not talking about local guys who shoot wedding videos), and all of them stressed their use of and reliance upon IS and AF.  Several of them even mentioned that those features are more essential to them shooting video than stills.

Edited by bocaburger

The P version is aesthetically pleasing and understated, simply by the absence of a red dot.

If I upgraded to the P I'd have to stick a Red Dot on it. When I bought the M240 I got one of those lovely Artisan Silk straps in red, which perfectly matches the colour of the dot. So I say "long live the dot", at least as long as my strap holds out.

PS: Had a M9-P and thought it was one of the best looking cameras I've ever had ....... not that looks ever both me; it's the picture that counts.

Cheers, Tom

Just following this thread it reminds me - and disappoints me - how much infighting there is amongst Leica shooters on this type of thing, and towards Leica in general.

First off, from a business perspective we all know why they do it, and have for years. While they may be one of the only photography companies, this thing is very common out there in the real world, outside of your myopic views. So get over it.

Secondly, the aesthetics are nice - I don't feel like some 'rich punter' who 'needs an engraving when, you know, the 'real photographers' just use black tape' etc. I spent several thousand in any event - I can buy one with the engraving and missing dot or in green, and gain plenty of enjoyment from it without snotty comments that I've bought into some sub-myth, thanks very much. I say sub-myth because many of the people groaning fail to see the ridiculousness in the fact that they're splitting hairs here in suggesting they're somehow more 'real' by buying a $6000 camera vs. a $7000 camera.  So get over that.

Third, in the case of the 240, the P offers a few nice things...bigger buffer (which has, by the way, a real utility in case everyone forgot...) sapphire screen. They're there for those who want to purchase them, and serve a purpose; don't if you don't care - but spare me the suggestion that they're pure frivolity. So get over that too. And take your electrician's tape with you.  

Lastly...(and this ties with point number two), can we stop with the self-congratulatory and obvious comments about "the P won't help you take better pictures...I'll stick with the regular M". Because guess what?  Your regular M doesn't help you take better pictures either. Why did you buy a Leica in the first place? Oh...I remember - because after all the considerations such as RF, lenses, etc...you actually just LIKED IT.  We all know the story already - the Leica doesn't make you HCB, the Fender Strat doesn't make me Jimi Hendrix. I've NEVER felt that any of my Leicas (iiig, M6TTL, MP, M9, M-P(240)) have made me a better photographer. What they are though are beautiful instruments that are challenging and satisfying to shoot with; that's part of the experience for me. I've published stuff shot with my Olympus Stylus Epic point and shoot as well, so spare me the sermons. While there are, I'm sure, users in any field who buy trinkets to tell themselves a story about themselves, most of us who are actually sensible see these things a bit different.  Me buying an M-P at higher cost is NO different than buying a Martin guitar with an attractive inlay pattern on the neck, or a limited edition. Professional star musicians, obscure poor working musicians, people who sit and play at night in their living room alone, and collectors without aspirations all buy these things...they're not seen as the domain of the rich, regardless of the price.  Because musicians like beautiful instruments to play on, for aesthetic as well as practical reasons.  Yes Captain Obvious, I know my music sounds the same. SO GET OVER IT. 

Meanwhile, I plan to continue to enjoy trying to make the best pictures I can with all my Leicas - including my 'embarrassment of gaudy pretentious riches' that is the M-P(240) - as well as my other cameras (Oly, old Pentax KX, Holga, Ricohflex, etc....) because they're fun for their own reasons too.  Hopefully there's not a forum out there where I'm also a clown for having those models too. 

• Like 6

+1

I'm with you, Jon Pop.

I don't buy new Leica M cameras frequently enough to strategize "waiting for the P version" or anything like that. I buy my cameras to use them, when I need or want another one. I pick what I think will do the job to my satisfaction, and I pick what I like the most. I picked the M-P when my M9 sensor required replacement and they made me the upgrade offer: it was a better deal. But I have to say that I like the functional improvements and the way it looks. I also very much like how the camera works. The M-P is what I'd hoped my M9 would be but wasn't. 

Why always so much dissing of Leica, and of each other, amongst the Leica enthusiasts...? I haven't a clue.

Why so much angst over the price amongst people who are buying what they KNOW is a very expensive luxury purchase...? I haven't a clue. It's not like anyone is forcing you to buy a Leica... 

I'm very pleased with all my Leica cameras. While nothing is perfect, I see no point to pissing and moaning about it ... nothing ever is.

G

• Like 1

I know the "P" models come with some extra cool stuff, like the return of the frameline selector, the bigger buffer, and the sapphire glass, but I have to admit that my favorite thing about them is the look. I shot on a pair of M240's when they first became available and I loved every minute. Then came the M-P and I really didn't need it, but I WANTED it. So I swapped out my M's for M-P's. Happy camper. 

Ever since then, I have thought that it would make sense, since I enjoy the "P" so much, to simply wait for it with every model. I wonder if I have that type of fortitude to resist Leica's latest and greatest, especially with the rumor mill on the next one. Anyhow, I think I may actually be able to pull it off simply because I am so happy with my M-P's (as I also was with my M's prior). 

I'm just wondering if anyone else out there does this, has thought of this, or is thinking of doing this, and how it went/is going for you. 

yes, I am crazy too

same emotional attachment to "P" models

will resist MM

I believe based on the M240 P late adopting was the wiser approach. However, I need the EVF option for my photography (failing eyesight) so I early adopted.

Perhaps on the next model I will have patience since I find the M-P very much to my liking with bigger buffer, sapphire screen and frame sector switch.

Edited by algrove