How many of you wait for the "P"?

tthorne

I will never be able to run after every new model - and I don't even care. It took me years of saving to be able to afford a digital M. From the M9 onwards I wanted to have one. I thought it would be a used M9 or maybe a M-E. Finally I managed to buy the best I could afford which was a new M-P (240). Reasons to buy were the silent shutter (compared to M9/M-E) and the bigger buffer (compared to the M240). I am happy with it and it will serve me for the next couple of years. If I had some extra money I would buy a backup camera which could still be the M-E (if the sensor issue is finally solved completely). No need for a newer model, but sure, if it comes I will have a look at it. 

No need to have the newest model, but I would go for the one affordable for me. I can wait for another M-P and if I need a new/additional camera and I can afford it, I would go for that one. 

Edited by jack-tucker

Using a movie function on a still camera is the same as using a video camera for still images. Amateurish and a gimmick.

when you've used 4K for image capture or 1000fps on the RX100 IV you might have a different tune

video and stills technology are merging and its very handy, even though I am not a video person, to be able to take a quick clip when necessary without taking around two cameras .....

I must say that I find the video quality on the M240 through a good lens spectacular for my amateurish needs.

• Like 2

That's right.

I understand your sentiment but I think the theory falls apart these days

Arguably the A7Rii is both the best 35mm camera and one of the best 35mm video cameras ever made.

That's not that I want to use my Sony's more then my Leicas, in fact the other way around as I have often repeated. The M workflow and results are the most beautiful to me.

However the continued argument that video and stills don't mix is becoming moribund. Just look at the RX100 IV, the RX10, the GH4, etc.

I am not arguing for Leica to spend money making the M240 a professional video camera, far from it. But a few small tweaks, eg rolling shutter correction, more codecs, external microphone accessory would satisfy 90% of amateur video requirements.

I would never buy a Canon 5Diii for professional video, but many people did and use it dual role. That's a nice shot in the arm for Canon ...

And for the purists there is the M60, M-E, M7 and MP and their equivalents in the future

Edited by colonel

I bought a black M240 in 2014 and upgraded to the M-P in olive Safari configuration in 2015.  I wanted the features that the M-P offered that the M240 did not, and the Safari kit was a great deal compared to a black M-P and a 35mm Summicron, so I went that route to save $1100 USD.  I would do it again, rather than wait for the M-P; I have no regrets in taking this route.

Edited by Carlos Danger