Leica Q -general-

28mm wouldn't be my first choice either, but it might help if the EVF could display other frames e.g 35 & 50 (or digital zoom?).............or perhaps I've just had too much wine with supper tonight.

Edited by stevelap

I have been told that there will be digital zoom from 28 to 35 and 50.

Thats why they choosed 28mm lens.

Information came from dealer who always was right in his predictions.

Digital zoom, as opposed to optical zoom?  You can do that more effectively in LightRoom. 

28mm, f1.7, DOF scale, Built-in EVF. For me at least this is  a camera to get excited about. Personally I don't like 35mm for street work and this is looking like my perfect camera and as I have said elsewhere since switching to sony I have hardly used the M240 so that and my 28 cron asph, lux 50 asph and WATE will all be going if this produces the goods

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

This Lux 28/1.7 should be much better than the M 28/1.4 for it to be interesting. It's 2/3 stop less than the M-Lux, with optimized design and sensor and being a fixed combo. I'm waiting for real-world testing.

You could well be right. What really interests me is that this will be only (at least I think so) camera with such a fast auto-focus lens that is also manual with a full DOF scale which is so vital for street work especially when shooting form the hip

Personally I don't like 35mm for street work and this is looking like my perfect camera

But you are a good photographer and have a rigorous vision that informs your work. Unfortunately though the 28mm frame is chosen simply because it appeals to the lowest common denominator, such as the people who think wide lenses are 'landscape' lenses, people who want to get all their friends in the picture, people who like to crop when they've had time to consider if they got something vaguely interesting in the picture. It is the very thing that makes so many potentially great fixed lens cameras, such as the Ricoh GR, a woeful shadow of what they could have been. It is a total lack of balls on Leica's part to choose it.

Steve

• Like 1

I think that may be a bit harsh, Steve.

The thing for me about 35mm is that it's neither fish nor fowl; whereas 50mm is tighter than you expect, and 28mm is just that bit wider to add a little drama. If you start with an idea of what you want to capture and where you want to put your camera, a longer lens like a 50 or 75 forces you to step away, with the result that is foreshortened and tighter; a 28 or 24 forces you closer, which gives more drama. 

35mm is seen as "just right", though the standard focal length for the 36x24 format is 43mm, it is what we're used to.  It is surprising that the difference through the viewfinder between 35 & 28 is marginal, it does make a difference.

What will be interesting is who buys this camera and why. Traditional compacts have 35mm (Leica's own X camera). Those buyers might find 28mm a surprise. Those who do truly understand what they're getting (or not getting, in Steve's case) will be buying the Q for what it is. That does make the Q a very interesting camera - very much a photographers' camera, rather than the snapshot camera, represented by the X cameras. 

Quality will be the determining issue. 

• Like 2

My M9P/Elmarit 28 could very well have been a fixed lens camera, because it was the only lens I used. The 28 focal length gives a slightly enlarged foreground which I liked, it can also give a bit more dramatic view. Perhaps the Q could be an alternative when the M9 needs replacement?

• Like 1

I don't know exactly, but I guess if you use the digital zoom to 35mm, the crop should have about 18MP, which is still enough flesh isn't it?

Not sure about the maths, but digital zoom has always struck me as a complete waste of time - there's no gain cropping in camera, off the sensor. Sorry to sound all HCB, but you want to make the use of all your real estate - both lens and sensor. 

• Like 2

having used the x1 (35mm eff)  this camera poses a conundrum  for me.... do i go full frame and 28mm or . . .  stay where i am at  or...... go "T".... very confused (in a good way)...

I was hoping for an interchangeable system. Now that it didn't happened, I am also starting to think about T!... If only X had come with EVF and interchangeable lens!.... 

A choice of 28mm is clearly the right one ........ as long as that is one of your preferred FLs. If not, it's the wrong choice and Leica has screwed up.

There's no right answer here: I assume Leica has done its market research (or more research than anyone on this forum ) and has decided they will sell more at 28 than at 35 or whatever.

I suspect they're right: but then I prefer 28 to 35 (but would have preferred a 75 over both  )

• Like 2

There's no right answer here: I assume Leica has done its market research (or more research than anyone on this forum ) and has decided they will sell more at 28 than at 35 or whatever.

The 28mm invites casual users to stay as close to their subject as they really wish to be.

Great choice, IMHO!

I'm not a social kinda guy, so I would probably stand back and crop.

I think Leica has nailed it!

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

Perfect for photogs composing in the dark room. Not my cup of tea.

If you want to use 35mm and the digital zoom shows you exactly what you want, it seems to me a way to go [...]

True if one likes the 28mm DoF. From time to time i don't mind but for day to day photos, big noses and so on, thanks no thanks. YMMV.

Digital zoom, as opposed to optical zoom?  You can do that more effectively in LightRoom. 

Agreed, but it may assist with composition for amy people if the EVF can be automatically moved through those FLs, albeit importantly at the expense of pixels for the final image.

28mm is one of my favourite FLs along with 50mm so that it seems to me that a fixed FL lens of 35mm is still the best all-rounder.

Having said that it would be quite nice being out with a 50mm lens on the M240 and a compact little FF 28mm Q.

• Like 1

But you are a good photographer and have a rigorous vision that informs your work. Unfortunately though the 28mm frame is chosen simply because it appeals to the lowest common denominator, such as the people who think wide lenses are 'landscape' lenses, people who want to get all their friends in the picture, people who like to crop when they've had time to consider if they got something vaguely interesting in the picture. It is the very thing that makes so many potentially great fixed lens cameras, such as the Ricoh GR, a woeful shadow of what they could have been. It is a total lack of balls on Leica's part to choose it.

Steve

People spending 4k on a camera either know what they are doing, or can (and will) do whatever they want  :p

IMO the real reason is simple, you walk into your Leica boutique looking for a Fixed Lens Camera and Leica is offering 3 or 4 models, all with the same 35mm focal length ...

If it is a hit at 28mm then there will be a 50mm version some time soon enough.