Leica à la carte M7 top plate not an option for upgrading existing M7?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, petermullett said:

Leica Service? I've nothing but good words to say in regards to my experiences with them at Wetzlar. Sadly all of my digital M's but one, the M10-M, have had to return there for one reason or another and most times more than once, ( the M10-D is still there on it's fourth trip back to service since new and is now "awaiting parts" as I write ), but the service people have always been extremely helpful and efficient as much as they can be within the system as it exists there. I can't say that I like the fact that I know many of them by their first names now, but it is what it is. Yes Leica's service times can be long, I also feel that Leica's QC could be a lot better on new cameras leaving the factory and maybe that has something to do with the long after sales service wait times, but I have always felt well looked after despite having to have used Leica service much more so than any other camera marque I use or have used on a Pro' basis. My Nikon FtN II's are still functioning perfectly with no major service since new, as are all my other Nikons up to the D810, that says something.

I have only had to return one Leica for service. This was an eleven year old M7 which developed a fault with the shutter speed dial ( it had to be placed half way between 1000 and Auto to work in A mode). The service was impeccable, although not particularly rapid, and Leica updated the viewfinder and DX code reader at the same time. I then had what was, in effect, an eleven year old brand new camera. My only other Leica  which requires attention is a D/S M3 with a locked shutter. I am reliably informed that this will now be a rather nice paper weight. I was speaking to a well known Leica dealer the other day and he stated that he has relatively few Leica's back for attention, perhaps the owners prefer to complain on forums such as this rather than return their cameras 🙂 .

• Like 2

Another vote for the excellent service provided by Leica. The only beef I have with them is that during a period of time they refused to accept my M9 sensor had a corrosion problem. Once they accepted it did, the service was impeccable and quite fast.

I don't like being seperated from my cameras for long periods and am not happy sending my gear, so other times I have made appointments with them and just go on the day arranged and have a walk around the factory and/or the town while I am waiting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven said:

Hello, 

Thank you. I called them ten times. Ten times they asked me to reach out by email. I wrote to them ten times. Ten times they did not answer. 

Therefore, I turned to the community for help. 

Steven

Hello Steven.

Given circumstances: A good idea.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

3 times i send/brought different analog M camera's to Leica HQ in Wetzlar. Never, ever had an issue with CS, as an average customer i was impatient and contacted them several times, but got the answers i searched for. So for me a triple "thank you" to Leica CS, whem the M bodies return home i was very happy with the result.

I understand that the PRO Leica photographer is more impatient, but on the other hand an average PRO has multiple camera's, in case of ........

• Like 2