How many Monochrom users still shoot B&W film?

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And yes, I totally LOVE my Leica equipment (much as I've loved my old Pentax, Canon, Fuji and Nikons) the Leica M cameras and lenses are just wonderful! But I think, if I was given the opportunity to change just one thing on the M6/M7, it wouldn't be a faster shutter or weatherproofing, it would be Multiple Exposure capability, it's the one thing I miss when I'm using those bodies.

Edited by VictoriaC
  • Like 1

M5 does multiple exposures.  Fold out the rewind crank and take up any slack, then holding the lever advance the film and you will get a perfectly registered multiple exposure.  This was designed in on the M5, not sure if other M bodies share this design or not.

On the M5 the rewind crank has a gear and clutch mechanism that keeps the film from advancing when the above method is used.  I tried it out recently, not for a multiple exposure but because I took a nice shot of the inside of my lens cap and didn't want to waste a frame.  When the negatives came back all frames were properly registered and exposed.

• Like 3

M5 does multiple exposures. Fold out the rewind crank and take up any slack, then holding the lever advance the film and you will get a perfectly registered multiple exposure. This was designed in on the M5, not sure if other M bodies share this design or not.

On the M5 the rewind crank has a gear and clutch mechanism that keeps the film from advancing when the above method is used.

Can anyone expand on this?

Last year I ended up over-winding my film completely out and off of its spool on the M7! Wouldn't that have been avoidable had the M7 a gear and clutch mechanism? And if a gear and clutch mechanism exists on either the M6TTL or the M7 then I'd love to employ it for multiple exposure shots. Hmmm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought an MM three months ago and am just over the moon with it. Another one has come up for sale at a reasonable used price, but to swing it...

Wait, you have an MM and want to buy another?! I must be missing something  :huh: I often carry two bodies, one film and one digital, or one color (M240) and one black and white (MM), I don't see the purpose in having two MM's, but that wasn't the point of your post, I suppose.

I still shoot B&W film along with the MM. For one, the film Leica shooting experience is sublime. The cameras are small, yet hefty, silent and it's a very tactile and process. I enjoy the fact that it's a purely mechanical and a joyfully simple process. No menus, firmware, or other technical falderal to bother with. And I still enjoy the development process. 

But for the instant gratification of digital, I would shoot only film. 

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wait, you have an MM and want to buy another?! I must be missing something  :huh: I often carry two bodies, one film and one digital, or one color (M240) and one black and white (MM), I don't see the purpose in having two MM's, but that wasn't the point of your post, I suppose.

I still shoot B&W film along with the MM. For one, the film Leica shooting experience is sublime. The cameras are small, yet hefty, silent and it's a very tactile and process. I enjoy the fact that it's a purely mechanical and a joyfully simple process. No menus, firmware, or other technical falderal to bother with. And I still enjoy the development process. 

But for the instant gratification of digital, I would shoot only film. 

I sometimes take my M6 ttl .58 with a 28 or other wide lens, along with my M6 ttl .85 fitted with a 90. It saves having to keep changing back and forth. You could do the same sort of thing with two MMs (or other bodies) with the added advantage of not risking dust/dirt getting onto the sensor when changing lenses. Just a thought.

I have several old folding cameras in 6x4.5 6x6 and a 6x9 that I like to take out occasionally but I don't shoot them much mainly because while I will develop the negs, I am not inclined to keep my scanner set up and follow through with that part of the process. That may change one day when I have more time.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I use my M246 fairly often, but shoot a lot more often with my M6 TTL and 503CXi, most of which is B&W. I like the Monochrom, and I love film. Generally I will use the Monochrom when using lenses that are not so RF-friendly, such as my TS-E 24, or MP-E 65.

Is there an adapter that moves the aperture on the Canon EF lenses? Or you just use wide open/a Canon body?

It must be quite hit and miss using the TSE24 with the M246's Live view implementation.