35 Summilux FLE v. Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZM

LD_50

Advertisement (gone after registration)

im compared lux50asph vs 35/1.7 II .wo both are same sharp. 50lux at 1.4 at 70cm.heavy crop

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by leonasj

voigtlander 35/1.7 asph II at 1.7 at 50cm heavy crop

Edited by leonasj

voigtlander 35/1.7 asph II at 1.7 at 70cm heavy crop

In any case, the 35 FLE is no great shakes when it comes to build quality IMO. It's perfectly fine but doesn't feel like a £3,500 lens to me and it certainly lacks the finesse of the wider Summiluxes like the 21 and 24. As I've stated elsewhere on this subject, if I didn't already own the Summilux I can't imagine buying it in preference to the new Zeiss 35 but, equally, as I have the Summilux I see no reason to change to the Zeiss. :) Having bought all manner of Leica's modern 35mm lenses over the years (including the Summicron ASPH on three different occasions) my considered opinion is that, all factors taken into account, the Summicron is the lens I'd buy (for the fourth time:D) if I had to buy a 35 again. The 35 Summicron, not the Summilux (or other pretenders), is the quintessential M lens IMO.

Couldn't agree more, regarding build quality. I bought my 35mm Summilux FLE new in 2011, when it was a difficult lens to get a hold of. Paid the full list price of £3650.

Loved it, especially shooting it at F1.4. It was great on both film (above), and M Monochrom mk1 (below)

My copy though, is falling to bits. Aperture ring might as well have no detents, it just spins back and forth. And the lens rattles like a set of maracas. It was like that out of the box. But more recently, a huge amount of play has developed in the focus ring. And now it jams before you can get anywhere near infinity. The build quality always felt gimcrack. I put up with it because I got pictures I was happy with.

Now the lens is back in its box, awaiting a time when I can be bothered sending it for repair. Instead I've been using my old 1960 copy of the 35mm Summaron F2.8. That thing is built like a tank.

• Like 10

Loved it, especially shooting it at F1.4. It was great on both film (above), and M Monochrom mk1 (below)

I have intended selling mine but can't bring myself to do it – it's one of those lenses that (if it doesn't fall apart) is just so flexible and works so well on both film and digital.

Incidentally, Colin, you shouldn't line up film and digital photos like that. I've recently re-acquired a Leica digital and have been enjoying using it but seeing digital and film scans side by side is a good reminder of why I am Doc Henry at heart.  :D

• Like 6

I have intended selling mine but can't bring myself to do it – it's one of those lenses that (if it doesn't fall apart) is just so flexible and works so well on both film and digital.

Incidentally, Colin, you shouldn't line up film and digital photos like that. I've recently re-acquired a Leica digital and have been enjoying using it but seeing digital and film scans side by side is a good reminder of why I am Doc Henry at heart.  :D

Agreed - I love my 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE for its superb image quality, but hate it for its lousy build quality. For the huge amount of money that lens costs, it should be exquisitely built. It's really going to pain me, paying to have it fixed, when all I did was look after it.

And yes, film is more hassle than digital, but it's just so nice, isn't it? Plus, you have a negative to file away for the future.

Edited by colint544
  • Like 3

The Zeiss is larger and blocks more of the finder. Or, approximately 20mm longer than the 35.

I have used both and it is definitely noticeable. I would use the EVF if I owned the Zeiss. 

No EVF needed with the Leica.

im ordered zm 35/1.4 too, had in past 35fle, not impress me,soft in coners, weight 50g small difference for big hands

Maybe you dropped yours??? This lens is definitely not "soft" in the corners. The 35 Lux is one of the best lenses on the market regardless of focal length.

The 35 lux ticks all the boxes. Compact - tick. 1.4 tick. Corner sharpness tick. I want all these but not at the same time. A two lens solution might be more attractive. A CV 1.2 ii and a Zeiss 2.8 is cheaper and ticks all the boxes if you don’t need 1.4 and edge sharpness at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Zeiss is larger and blocks more of the finder. Or, approximately 20mm longer than the 35.

I have used both and it is definitely noticeable. I would use the EVF if I owned the Zeiss. 

No EVF needed with the Leica.

Maybe you dropped yours??? This lens is definitely not "soft" in the corners. The 35 Lux is one of the best lenses on the market regardless of focal length.

soft corners at f1.4,

Compared to the FLE, the Zeiss is at best marginally sharper, has a flat field and NO focus shift, all at < 1/2 the price of the Leica. Very appealing.

The FLE is however so perfectly balanced on an M.

tryied zm 35/1.4 on m9 body, im use grip and thumb, zeiss more comfortable feeling vs my 50lux asph with heavy front glass