Portra has been reformulated to scan better?

Guest gamincurieux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But at least film is still being promoted and used. As long as that happens, we can continue to enjoy it.

I have a strong feeling based on what I am seeing in the NY and reading from around the world that film photography is making a comeback.

-Film producers are reporting a significant increase in sales

-A senior manager at Adorama (a little brother to B&H in NYC) told me recently that their film and film gear sales have spiked significantly over the past couple years

-I was just at B&H today and was told by the used gear staff that their used film gear has been on the up and up in a major way.

Certainly, there won't be a reversal. However, I think that the pendulum might swing back in a meaningful way, particularly with photographers who have a appreciation for fine quality output. This is good for film shooters in the sense that it may revitalize the film processing and printing labs, as well as the film production companies, which hopefully will spark some kind of meaningful price competition.

• Like 7

Guest gamincurieux

I shoot it at 250, but I bet it's fine at 400.

Pete

Pete, just so I understand correctly (& forgive my lack of understanding of what may well be elementary), shoot it at 320 but have the lab develop it as per 400?? Have you any examples to see of you shooting it at 250??

That's right, I don't have them pull the development, just develop as normal.

I shoot sunny 16, so if it's Portra 160, I shoot it at 125, and if it's Portra 400 I shoot it at 250. That way I can switch off my brain. When I use an incident meter, i set it to 125 or 250 respectively.

The Bhutan album, Rome / Venice, Cuba, and Paris albums here are shot this way:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26559656@N00/sets/

The Yellowstone album was a bit iffy as I was using the reflective meter of the m6 and MP (not having shot film for 10 years), and many of the Canada shots were deliberately under exposed.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

• 2 weeks later...
OMG what a cavalcade of nauseating hipsters! Anyway I'll go try some.

Some people are just too cynical....

I enjoyed the video, the concept and production makes for entertaining watching. For the most part the nauseating hipster's enthusiasm for film seems to be genuine and many of the images are more than good enough to be believed.

Whether the new Portra 400 scans any better than previous iterations remains to be seen, but I'll soon find out thanks to that video.

• Like 1

Just as an aside for UK members, Calumet are currently selling Portra 400 for £6 per roll (5 pack) with free postage. Ektar for a fiver too. I might be wrong but this is the keenest Kodak pricing I've seen for a while as Kodak colour film seems to have been creeping up in price towards Fuji levels.

• Like 2

Just as an aside for UK members, Calumet are currently selling Portra 400 for £6 per roll (5 pack) with free postage. Ektar for a fiver too. I might be wrong but this is the keenest Kodak pricing I've seen for a while as Kodak colour film seems to have been creeping up in price towards Fuji levels.

Postage free offer ends today (12th Jan) ! Order just placed.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had text messages from DPD parcel service giving me updates plus a tracking no. for my 12th Jan Calumet order. First few times I checked, it was showing that they were still awaiting delivery from Calumet. Checked just now and it is showing "Great news, we have your parcel & it is on its way." !

Out of curiosity, I clicked on the arrow/drop down box "where has my parcel been?". Given all the major branches in southern England I was surprised to see that it is currently in Edinburgh! Delivery is due Thurs 15th but presumably the snowy conditions twixt Edinburgh and Wiltshire might just interfere...

My order from Calumet was delivered by Fedex (no idea what route it took:D). I made two separate orders close together, the second being just a couple of rolls of Ektar to try out, and inwardly winced when they arrived in two separate boxes. I dare say they just package these orders in the warehouse as they come in but what a waste of money and packaging not to put both orders in the same box. The perils of offering free shipping, I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Australia, and get a variety of film fast from Thailand, EBay search. Usually a good assortment of film types, and brands. More you buy the cheaper it is.

Works for me, in my M6, and Fuji GSW 690, etc, and I don't even have to leave my office.

cheers Dave S :)

Edited by david strachan

I read somewhere the other day that Portra was at some point over the last couple or so years reformulated to scan better (ie. prob since I last used it a looong time ago!). Unfortunately there were no more details to go with the statement. Has anybody heard about this??

At the risk of dragging this thread back to the OP's question :D

I understand the changes in the emulsion were "imported" from the movie stock, as mentioned, but the main change for the scanning improvement I think was in the overcoat. Previously the emulsion side was finished rather matte the new overcoat has a gloss finish which for some technical reasons allows the scanners to work better. As an aside, not that many people are using light enlargers with this stock, the gloss finish can/does lead to more Newtons Rings. The change came when, as stated earlier, most labs moved to scanning as the intermediate to printing.

Edited by chris_livsey