Is Leica discontinuing the X Vario?

Ecaton

Zitat:

Ever heard of EU antitrust regulations......?

Such a nonsense.

It has nothing to do with the EU...

Really? Price instructions by a manufacturer to its retailers does not potentially conflict with EU antitrust rules? I thought Germany was part of the EU and Leica a German company. But I`m always eager to learn, never to old for it. :rolleyes:

Ever heard of EU antitrust regulations......?

If it only were that simple.... Yes, only a suggested retail price is allowed, and yes, the manufaturer may not use negative incentives to enforce a minimum price. But - there is no legal obligation to supply a specific customer, nor does the EU regulate the terms of delivery, like delivery time, or discounts to the reseller....

I don't know how this would go down in the EU, but I have heard of many Rolex retailers losing their official dealer status (and supply) over the years because they discounted product too much. I have also heard that in the last few years, Omega have made it a condition of supply that the retailer must also carry a brand of even higher price, so that the increasingly expensive Omega brand is still seen to be 'affordable'.

A phone call from the mothership in Solms to a certain dealer and the price might go up again. Who knows.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know how this would go down in the EU, but I have heard of many Rolex retailers losing their official dealer status (and supply) over the years because they discounted product too much. I have also heard that in the last few years, Omega have made it a condition of supply that the retailer must also carry a brand of even higher price, so that the increasingly expensive Omega brand is still seen to be 'affordable'.

Rolex dealers have lost their franchise because they weren't selling to the quota set by their contractual agreement with Rolex. Rolex "prunes" under performing dealers and adds new ones where they see the greatest sales opportunity. Rolex has always made a big deal out of not discounting - it's part of their agreement with the dealer. But it is the effect usually of not hitting quotas.

Omega is owned by Swatch so there's a master agreement with Swatch to take part of that portfolio of brands. In other words they can't cherry pick what they want and ignore the rest. The portfolio selection is made on the demographics of the market the dealer serves and the competitive set. This is fairly common practice with multi-brand portfolios.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new XV at B&H recently for $2100 and consider it an excellent deal. At the original $2850 it was overpriced, though still understandable given the quality of the lens.

I honestly can't think of a better travel camera, and contrary to popular belief, its not that bad even in low light. I took these in San Francisco in early pre-dawn available darkness.

Leica X Vario ISO 1600, 34.2mm f/5.6, 1/50th, minimal post.

15821584986_59e5256674_b.jpgL1000200.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Leica X Vario ISO 6400, 35.8mm f/5.4, 1/30th, minimal post.

15821586696_8ecd206935_b.jpgL1000203.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Leica X Vario ISO 3200, 33.5mm f/5.2, 1/30th, minimal post.

15845431791_508e113b00_b.jpgL1000263.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Edited by asiafish
  • Like 6

I bought a new XV at B&H recently for $2100 and consider it an excellent deal. At the original $2850 it was overpriced, though still understandable given the quality of the lens.

I honestly can't think of a better travel camera, and contrary to popular belief, its not that bad even in low light.

Leica's most underrated camera.

Some of my very best photos have been taken with it ..... and as you say the assumed lens speed 'limitations' are negligible in real world use.

Im a new member and I was trying to get he small blue 'wink' after that last statement... Unfortunately I managed to get the 'wink' in the title bar of the thread and couldn't work out how to change it...

Ah... Just seen. I used the icons on the bottom... I should have used those on the side...;)

Got it!:D

• 3 months later...

X Vario is definitely more than the sum of its specs. The very similar X type 113 is equally underrated. I bought the XV as a backup/casual camera, but it has become my favorite camera. I like it so much that I added an X type 113 for low light and consider the pair as the perfect travel outfit.

• Like 3

I have used Leica cameras ever since 1954 including my two M240's and a T, but genuinely regard my wonderful X-Vario as being THE most underrated camera I have ever had the pleasure to use, indeed although I have owned mine for quite a long time now I never fail to be amazed at how nice it is to use, or at the truly fantastic quality of its results.

Although the X-Vario is a camera the user can just leave set to Automatic everything it in fact rewards its users most when used in manual mode, including quite often with manual rather than auto focusing (which with focus area magnification works brilliantly) and so whether Leica cease production or not my greatest sadness is the thought so many other Leica devotees will never know what they have been and still are missing.

Believe me as a Pro photographer of many years International standing I owe no allegiance to Leica the company but mean what I say when I make the claim the so underrated X-Vario in my view is in fact a true milestone camera, and whats more with a lens and sensor set up capable of giving M9 or M240 quality results

In short those who have not yet tried a X-Vario will never know what a fantastic little camera they have been missing, and this thought holds true whether Leica drop its production or not, but at least on the bright side we do still have the same sensor Leica 'T', though the big question then of course is how do the Japanese made T lenses compare with the X-Vario's?. Don Morley:)

• Like 12

The initial unpopularity of the XV was to a large extent due to all the negative comments voiced by the predictable naysayer 'know-alls' (many of whom never actually used the camera) who habitually poo poo any innovative products introduced by Leica. They shouted long and loud with resultant contagious hysteria which ruined the product's launch. However, those who took a more considered and sensible view - especially those who read and studied Jono Slack's review - embraced the XV's attributes (especially its superlative zoom lens) and they continue to reap dividends from their investment.

dunk

• Like 3

I think the main reason for slow uptake was the disillusionment caused by inept Leica marketing. It never could be the new 'Mini-M' they featured ahead of actual launch. So many potential buyers felt deceived. It was also over-priced at launch. It has settled into a more realistic pricing band and represents excellent value.

In my view it does not give me identical results compared with a full-frame Leica camera, though it gets remarkably close.

Edited by wda
Added comparison with full-frame Leicas
  • Like 2

Whilst I agree with most others have said I actually blame Leica not just for the X-Vario's lack of marketing success, but for a rather sorry list of similar failings even with the m and T ranges caused each time via them going to market too soon with insufficiently well tested cameras.

For instance hence them not discovering the M8's IR problem until long after the camera was launched, likewise the M9's sensor failings, and the numerous unfortunate handling quirks with the X-Vario, M240 and even the latest 'T's as originally launched.

Thus when I first used my now much beloved X-Vario for instance I thought it was one off, and perhaps THE least user friendly cameras I had ever used, but then much later solved most of these problem areas exactly as they have with the M240 and more recently the 'T' via desperately needed firmware updates.

This however is just not good enough or perhaps more to the point fast enough in today's hi-tec digital age where every magazine or product tester in the online World is going to want to be first to test, report, and then pass comment on what usually nowadays in Leica's case is a Pre Production and largely unproven example!

Hence far too many Leica digital cameras have thus received very negative reports, and sadly these reports then live on throughout whichever cameras history, and whilst the testers rapidly move on to some other marque or product Leica are left having yet again shot themselves in their own foot!

My point being no matter how well such as Leica finally sort things a year or so later via such as firmware or whatever it is too late, the reputational damage has been done, and as you can see for yourself, non of those magazine testers ever re-visit, revise, or update the original verdicts, hence it is only we lucky few who have such as our up-dated X-Vario's who now know just how good a camera it really can be. don:)

• Like 4