I love my M7...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With this photo below , taken with M7, a Summicron 28 Asph and monopod, I reproduce the expression of these ladies

and that's what interests me. :)

Difficult shooting conditions (almost dark night) but atmosphere well reproduced. 

All this with a mechanical rangefinder and not need no more than 25,000 Isos with a risk of distorting the picture with a "night" picture as "in the day" !  a nonsense . :angry: 400 Isos that's enough for me !

This photo with "soft" line and "nuance" of the faces (due to film grain) versus "smooth" and "cutting" line of digital picture (responsible : pixels and  smoothing photo software of digital camera)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M7-28 Cron Asph - Kodak TX400 with a "true" black and "white" tone

and monopod

Happy New Year to All of you :)

and thanks for posting your M7 picture. 

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 11

Photon, nice M6 , I love this brown color  !

First question : is "à la carte"  ?

Second question : a mechanical rangefinder against an electronic , which you like ?

most reliable and most accurate  ?

but good Leica Q , may be more practical !

Nice pictures on your link , specially Paris :)

All with film ?

Best

Henry

Henry

thanks for your kind words and please excuse the delayed response. First of all, I did not use the wrong thread: it really is an M7  ;). And yes, it is an à la carte. I got a couple of years back. Originally, wanted to go for a different leather, but they had this ostrich style leather on display on another M, which was really convincing. Got two stars engraved on the back of the camera, representing my sons.

p1820012163-5.jpg

As to your other questions: I find the Q the best electronic interpretation of the M so far, it its entire list of capabilities (short of exchanging lenses). I do still own a Fuji X-Pro 1, which is second on the list of electronic interpretations. However, I do not really use at the moment, though most of the Paris shots have been done with the Fuji. So - I obviously like and use both electronic and mechanical (range-) finders. Being a human, I can much better adapt to technology than the other way round. My eyesight is not getting any better, I am afraid (good enough still for the M in reasonable lightning conditions), so I am waiting for a Q style body for rangefinder and AF lenses. The SL is too heavy, too large and too ugly for me and the Sonys seem to have too many compromises.

Regards

Ivo

• Like 4

Can't agree more

Hi Otto glad to read you again.

Yes , some people marveled at a night photography (black night) completely transformed into photo in day. :angry:

I wonder what is the interest....  unless you do espionage :)   and if you enlarge the pixels (and the background)

are even more visible

Happy New Year Otto

Henry

thanks for your kind words and please excuse the delayed response. First of all, I did not use the wrong thread: it really is an M7  ;). And yes, it is an à la carte. I got a couple of years back. Originally, wanted to go for a different leather, but they had this ostrich style leather on display on another M, which was really convincing. Got two stars engraved on the back of the camera, representing my sons.

p1820012163-5.jpg

As to your other questions: I find the Q the best electronic interpretation of the M so far, it its entire list of capabilities (short of exchanging lenses). I do still own a Fuji X-Pro 1, which is second on the list of electronic interpretations. However, I do not really use at the moment, though most of the Paris shots have been done with the Fuji. So - I obviously like and use both electronic and mechanical (range-) finders. Being a human, I can much better adapt to technology than the other way round. My eyesight is not getting any better, I am afraid (good enough still for the M in reasonable lightning conditions), so I am waiting for a Q style body for rangefinder and AF lenses. The SL is too heavy, too large and too ugly for me and the Sonys seem to have too many compromises.

Regards

Ivo

Hi Ivo, thanks for your answer.

It's very pretty this skin and it is unusual to see on a camera !

For the Leica Q it is true that looking at some pictures , I think it is close a little of the film with the edges and lines a little softer than the photos in example of my M8.

Unfortunately it's still digital and seen quite well, a bit "flat" image, "without relief". Same remark for the SL !

The Q has electronic RF and the sensor is used for this purpose and requires batteries to operate, the electronic viewfinder is simply a screen (in pixels). The day when your battery is down, it will not work more unlike a mechanical rangefinder.

My next purchase that is close now will be a M-A  without electronics. :)

Happy New Year Ivo

Best regards to both of you

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Everyone,

Happy New Year!

I am joining the M7 ranks here! Just picked up a used a la carte .72 with black paint, mp film advance, added logo, and leather covering. 

Edited by LeicaTobin
  • Like 13

Very nice...

Every time I find myself thinking about a classic black M4 I remind myself that an a la carte M7 would be a far more sensible bet... It would 'play' with my M240P better - a kind of analogue version of my existing camera (well, it is, my M240P is set up a lot like an M7 in terms of how it is used).

Your M7 would be exactly the way I would go, too... beautiful camera. It even looks like a skinny version of my M240P... apart from the illumination window of course... (yea, for the pedants, I know that almost everything is different... but on first glance, VERY similar look..)

Next time I get a pile of spare cash that my wife doesn't have plans for (mostly trying to get me to save for a 'rainy day'...) I will see if I can sneak one in... I will probably get fed up with film quickly, but a roll of FP4 or HP5/TriX would be good for the soul every now and again.

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 3

Thanks Bill!

That is exactly my plan. Use it along side my M240 for special occasions and for when the mood strikes me. It was just luck as I checked the used section for the hell of it on my Leica shop in Canada and it was up I think for one hour so it worked out well. I agree with you that the M7 is a great compliment to the M240.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Very nice...

Every time I find myself thinking about a classic black M4 I remind myself that an a la carte M7 would be a far more sensible bet... It would 'play' with my M240P better - a kind of analogue version of my existing camera (well, it is, my M240P is set up a lot like an M7 in terms of how it is used).

Your M7 would be exactly the way I would go, too... beautiful camera. It even looks like a skinny version of my M240P... apart from the illumination window of course... (yea, for the pedants, I know that almost everything is different... but on first glance, VERY similar look..)

Next time I get a pile of spare cash that my wife doesn't have plans for (mostly trying to get me to save for a 'rainy day'...) I will see if I can sneak one in... I will probably get fed up with film quickly, but a roll of FP4 or HP5/TriX would be good for the soul every now and again.

Exactly why I bought an M7 to complement my M9 (now gone), Monochrom v1, and M240. Apart from me wanting aperture priority auto, the shutterspeed dial works in the same direction (opposite in the MP, M4-P, etc)

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

Hey Everyone,

Happy New Year!

I am joining the M7 ranks here! Just picked up a used a la carte .72 with black paint, mp film advance, added logo, and leather covering. 

Congratulations Tobin :)

How beautiful in  black  !

Try a roll of Kodak TX or a roll of Kodak Portra

and if possible develop yourself

Happy New Year also to you and your family :)

Thanks for posting

Best

Henry

• Like 1

How lucky you are to live in the rainy UK.

Pico, photos in fog or in rain with the film are beautiful   :)

We can see raindrops or fog droplets that are well reproduced by the grain of the film.

Really you can believe me like in this picture

Film Ilford HP5

Leica M7-28 Summicron Asph

Original photo

and crop 100% of film ,at left in the trees *

in film you can see droplets of fog with grains*

but in digital , pixels of droplets are smoothed (smoothing characteristic of digital) by the camera photo software

Crop 100%

Leica M8 Summicron 28 Asph

same place , same moment

Best

Henry

* like in a painting of Seurat

• Like 3

How do you process film to digital and save images on pc?

Right question Lucian  :)

(scan in Nikon Coolscan 5000)

... but I also printed on  paper with my enlarger and I compare with picture printed by my Leica advisor lab.

Same size and same result  :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry