It Only Shoots B&W!

wilfredo

It doesn't seem to produce in you what it produces in others. You may own one but you don't buy into it in the manner that I do. Nothing wrong with that. I won't try to convince you of my experience. No need for that. I won't make any disparaging remarks either. Enjoy your gear in good health! You the man!

But what? A photographer successfully working in black and white will have an "appreciation for the richness of B&W tones" that is independent of, and goes way beyond, the camera that they are using. It seems to me that you like the Monochrom camera so much that you think it is some kind of key to a greater understanding and appreciation of black and white photography. It's a fine camera but it's just a bit of kit. Black and white photography was around for a few years before the Monochrom was released in 2012.:rolleyes:

Ian I don't think you have read and understood the drift of Wilfredo's observations. As I read it, he is not claiming the MM to be some key to greater understanding and appreciation of B&W photography. He is declaring his preference for the medium and clearly enjoys the tool that facilitates it for him.

Your constant niggling of him on this issue because you have a different view of things is typical of your style. You have already been moderated once and warned for it. Please allow forum members to express their opinions, as you are free to, but without such a personal bite to it.

• Like 2

I would love to see some of the photos with the Canon lenses. If you don't wish to post them here please send me a PM and I can share my e-mail with you. I don't think there are any bad lenses on the MM. These older lenses probably give the image a very classic look. That's a plus IMHO.

Cheers!

There is a thread full of images by many old lenses, including Canon, in the lens forum.

• Like 1

Good grief, the MM is a beautiful and inspirational camera, so what's to argue about?....just enjoy your Monochrom/s and be grateful that we are privileged enough to be able to own such a marvellous piece of equipment.

• Like 9

I would love to see some of the photos with the Canon lenses. If you don't wish to post them here please send me a PM and I can share my e-mail with you. I don't think there are any bad lenses on the MM. These older lenses probably give the image a very classic look. That's a plus IMHO.

Cheers!

Wilfredo - I also acquired a Canon 50mm 1.4 LTM and Nikkor 50mm 1.4 LTM and am putting them through their paces with the MM. Like the old 35s, they are a great match for monochrome shooting because of how they render in tone and contrast. I plan to use them for street photography and the 35s for everything else.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to upload photos to the Forum - I'm not technologically challenged, but each time I compress and/or resize large files, they're rejected as too large or in the wrong aspect ratio or both. I'm sure there's a FAQ on how to do it; I just haven't located it yet. I will, however.

These old lenses work extraordinarily well with the MM, IMO.

Rich

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The forum does not reject for aspect ratio. The only requirements are that the longest side is

1024 pixels max and do not make the image too large. Stay within 400 Kb or so.

Edited by jaapv

Now, I have been reading this subject with interest and respect for the ideas and also for the passion from all parties. I have an M9 , and in my digital life (after my Pentax SLR's etc..) I had D-Lux 4 and D-Lux 6.

For sure the MM's sensor technically produces great detail and tone rendering, close to bigger formats in film. However, thinking B&W before shooting is a different philosophy and inner process that each one has to exercise in front of the true colored reality. This is possible at shooting time or this may be possible at processing time in front of your screen.

I came to appreciate the B&W again thanks to the specific possibility that the D-Luxes, as smaller cameras, have : the possibility to shoot in B&W and see it on your screen that way. I found that it already conducts one to think B&W before pushing on the shutter.

So , my question is : what about a firmware update on M9 that would give the same possibility as the smaller cameras , i.e. shoot in B&W only ?:cool:

This goes about the full commercial strategy from Leica but this possibility should close the philosophic discussion and leave only the technical one open about the B&W tonalities and rendering from the internals of the cameras.

• Like 1

Thanks Jaap ! I have always used the camera in DNG mode and never +JPEG.

So , I tried the setup now and works like the small ones. That was pretty easy but one needed remember reading the manual.

I have a great MM- now !!!

Cheers!

Canon 1.8/50 LTM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Now, I have been reading this subject with interest and respect for the ideas and also for the passion from all parties. I have an M9 , and in my digital life (after my Pentax SLR's etc..) I had D-Lux 4 and D-Lux 6.

For sure the MM's sensor technically produces great detail and tone rendering, close to bigger formats in film. However, thinking B&W before shooting is a different philosophy and inner process that each one has to exercise in front of the true colored reality. This is possible at shooting time or this may be possible at processing time in front of your screen.

I came to appreciate the B&W again thanks to the specific possibility that the D-Luxes, as smaller cameras, have : the possibility to shoot in B&W and see it on your screen that way. I found that it already conducts one to think B&W before pushing on the shutter.

So , my question is : what about a firmware update on M9 that would give the same possibility as the smaller cameras , i.e. shoot in B&W only ?:cool:

This goes about the full commercial strategy from Leica but this possibility should close the philosophic discussion and leave only the technical one open about the B&W tonalities and rendering from the internals of the cameras.

I enjoyed using the M8 from the time it hit the market until last year when I purchased the MM. I was sold on that camera by the B&W photos I saw posted on the Leica Forum. The MM has kicked up B&W possibilities a few more significant notches. When I started this thread it was simply to make the statement that if you are a photographer that gravitates towards B&W photography, shooting with this camera is not a limitation, quite the contrary, it is a liberating experience. Personally, I'm not one to get caught up in tecnical discussions, it's not my forte, and I'm more of an artist who operates at an intuitive level. Intuitively, the files I get from the Monochrom work for me, and I enjoy seeing the reactions of others, especially non-photographers, when they see the work. I hope to continue growing with this camera, and I know many of you do as well. I am very fortunate to own this camera, it's the best camera I've ever owned for what it produces. Here's to the journey ahead in the world of monochromatic photography!

Cheers!

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 2

Wilfredo,

Thanks for sharing your passion and the source of your inspiration on the forum. It is always interesting to hear from others what moves them and how people "live" their photography experience.

The diversity of these experiences is what makes the reading on this forum very interesting.

You really "love" your MM, not because of its technical beauty but because it has been a source of great joy and enjoyment for you .:)

• Like 1

I absolutely trust the words of who loves unconditionally the MM and myself would love to have one but something restrain me. It might be my inability or simply a different way of feeling but I am not able to have a full awareness of the mental transposition in B&W of the scene that I have in front of me. So, apart from some specific situations, I could not decide if it is better to shoot in color or in black and white. I recognize the great beauty of the latter, but even if a little more than half of my photos with M9 are then converted, many images just look better if I leave them in color. For example, some in which one or two color are the dominant "actors".

In my approach to photographing matters a lot if a situation strikes me and this depends more on the content of the action, so I'm not much to think whether it will be better in color or in B&W. Then I will see...

Maybe I'm just too lazy but my ideal would be a camera that has the same quality in color and in black and white conversion...

• Like 1

.. I am not able to have a full awareness of the mental transposition in B&W of the scene that I have in front of me. So, apart from some specific situations, I could not decide if it is better to shoot in color or in black and white....

I think this applies to most of us. The thing (for me at least) that made me get the MM is that it forces me to think in B/W; there´s just no other alternative available. Just like my old M2 with TriX, or my Rolleiflex with Neopan 400. And, persevering with this, one will slowly get better at ´seeing´ a scene as a B/W image; having the option to choose afterwards just will not do that for you.

Obviously, the world is full of subjects, scenes and situations that simply won´t work in B/W. One has to accept that and live with it. Just like most of us have to live with being without an 800 mm lens, or a Noctilux, or a 15 fps motor drive.

• Like 2