Live View and Leica R 180mm APO Telyt f/3.4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

- Close the shutter before the timer is started.

Which is now done by pressing the LV button (in Classic metering mode) to close the shutter

A bit like using mirror lock-up.

The problem by doing this in firmware is that there will be complaints (spurious or not;)) about viewfinder blackout.

:D Spurious...;)

Which is now done by pressing the LV button (in Classic metering mode) to close the shutter

A bit like using mirror lock-up.

The problem by doing this in firmware is that there will be complaints (spurious or not;)) about viewfinder blackout.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

OK I can work with this I guess, since all my long lens work is done at a leisurely pace (and using a tripod). The only snag is that I would probably also prefer to be able to use the more exotic metering modes (such as "spot"). So I guess that, for optimum results for long R lenses I would have to:

(a) compose and determine exposure using LV/EVF and exotic metering

(B) set shutter speed and aperture manually

© change metering to "classic"

(d) switch off LV

(e) use a cable release or timer delay to reduce any remaining residual vibrations associated simply with my pressing the shutter

(f) expose.

A bit cumbersome perhaps, but manageable. Can anyone suggest a less cumbersome, but still optimal workflow?

• Like 1

A bit cumbersome perhaps, but manageable. Can anyone suggest a less cumbersome, but still optimal workflow?

Just set shutter speed to 1/focal length and you are good to go. That's all I ever did and never had any problem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I had to add a beanbag to my M kit, I would rather carry my stabilized Canon gear :p

This is not the lens for the times when light weight M-style portability is the priority. Better to crop from a 90 or 135 M lens in that case. For the best from a 180 R lens, weight is a necessary evil.

• Like 2

Really appreciate this discussion. Earlier I commented about problems focusing my 180 4.0 on M when shooting whales in Alaska from a moving boat.

Jaap thankfully pointed out I wasn't aware of the 5x option using R lenses. Now this post suggests another possible issue.

In my situation there was no time to do all that was required to avoid blurring. Silly me thought if raised ISO and used 1,000 of a second that would avoid movement.

Realize the M is not ideal for moving action like sports and whales, but unless a photographic priority will not use a reflex option when traveling. This was one of several reasons for getting the M.

Thanks again for posting this and will certainly use no LV when dealing with non-moving objects. In retrospect wish took my Tele-Elmar 135 and cropped!

Ed

• Like 1

This is a photo using same camera and lens as mentioned above, cropped to only 11% of original full frame image area. Link is to an 800x447 pixel version and there is a link above that to the "full" 2121x1184 cropped image. Shutter speed 1/500; do not recall aperture.

When I look closely at the tuft of grass this side of the beast's forelegs, it seems to me that the finest vertical pieces of grass are sharper than the horizontal ones. With a vertical traveling shutter, isn't that the effect you would see from camera induced vibration? Or is it all in my mind.

I looked closely only after reading this interesting thread as the initial result was (and is) good enough for my purposes. Question: How would the result using that 2x APO extender compare when cropped to same image size, all things considered?

This is a photo using same camera and lens as mentioned above, cropped to only 11% of original full frame image area. Link is to an 800x447 pixel version and there is a link above that to the "full" 2121x1184 cropped image. Shutter speed 1/500; do not recall aperture.

When I look closely at the tuft of grass this side of the beast's forelegs, it seems to me that the finest vertical pieces of grass are sharper than the horizontal ones. With a vertical traveling shutter, isn't that the effect you would see from camera induced vibration? Or is it all in my mind.

I looked closely only after reading this interesting thread as the initial result was (and is) good enough for my purposes. Question: How would the result using that 2x APO extender compare when cropped to same image size, all things considered?

Difficult for me to see any difference in sharpness between the vertical and horizontal blades of grass in the linked photo (which, BTW, is a really nice photo). I would think that the shutter vibration effect being discussed in this thread would become more pronounced with an increase in focal length, caused for example by using a 2X extender with a 180mm lens.

Better than a heavy tripod I should think...

What's a tripod ? :p

This is not the lens for the times when light weight M-style portability is the priority. Better to crop from a 90 or 135 M lens in that case. For the best from a 180 R lens, weight is a necessary evil.

Cropping a 90 would result in a 6 MP image.

The Telyt is only 300g heavier than an APO Summicron 90, and perfectly fits in my small bag (front pocket).

That said, I just reviewed the images I took with it on Saturday, and the Telyt outresolved the sensor in many shots. I usually expose f/5.6 1/500s or faster for multiple-shots super-high resolution panoramas.

• Like 1

Cropping a 90 would result in a 6 MP image.

If there's one thing photography teaches you, it's that everything is a compromise. The skill is in selecting the compromise that suits you best.

If there's one thing photography teaches you, it's that everything is a compromise. The skill is in selecting the compromise that suits you best.

Totally agree... but in the "-18 MP" vs "+300g" battle, the latter is the clear winner for me ;)

I do not know about official Leica ones, they are calculated, not measured anyway, but the following link describes the lens quite exhaustively. Scroll down for MTF curves:

LEITZ

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 4

This all clarifies my decision not to use long R and Contax lenses on my M240 other than on a tripod and even then go at least one speed higher than you think might be required. I always have the tripod attached to the lens or adapter not the camera. My 80-200/f4 Vario Elmar-R is off anyway with Will van Manen for service and cure of a loose focus ring.

For hand held and long focus lenses with my admittedly weak and shaky hands, I now use an Olympus EP-5 with 5 axis stabilisation and auto-focus lenses and hit far more of those photos in focus and shake free.

Horses for courses.

Wilson

I do not know about official Leica ones, they are calculated, not measured anyway, but the following link describes the lens quite exhaustively. Scroll down for MTF curves:

LEITZ

Thanks Jaapv, I knew that page (very interesting as any article by Marco). However, there only are MTF averages over the frame, while I am looking for the classical graphs (distance from the axis).