M 240 and wide aperture lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did you pick up the lens at the factory in Solms?

No it came from a German dealer who did. It was beautifully packed and there was no damage to the outer carton it came in. Leica never tried to claim it could be transit damage. The RF in a body can be knocked out by impact damage (I suspect that may have been the cause of the RF vertical misalignment on my new M9) but I think it is vanishingly rare in lenses. Faulty assembly is what was the cause.

Wilson

• Like 1

Alf, I did it and had almost the same result.

My lenses were all perfectly spot on on my M8, with an unbelievably sharp focus at widest apertures.

On the M, they are all off focus at widest apertures and become razor sharp when stepping down to 2.8 with the exception of the Elmarit 90/2.8 that is completely off.

I think I will have to have all my lenses adjusted by Leica on my new camera.

I will use them as they are during the summer and will send the whole kit for adjustment in September. I never had problems nailing focus before, and my RF is perfectly aligned.

It is just a matter of the lenses adjusted on the RF or vice-versa.

If ALL your lenses are off and they were ALL spot on on another camera it's most likely the camera rangefinder is out. Even if infinity appears to be coincident it can be hard to tell if it's actually perfect without a magnifier and a good amount of time. It could be the infinity is ever so slightly off or it could be that the length of the focus arm needs adjusting. The forst needs a 2mm allen key. The latter needs aholiday at Leica.

My 240, like my M9's was ever so slightly out, from the factory. Fixed in 5 minutes.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography