Understrength Gorilla?

The problem with the newly released M screen protector is that it cuts the LCD sharpness and makes it hard to see focus during and after shooting. I had to remove it. The LCD resolution in its own is not great and the protector makes it unusable to evaluate photos.

I've had an inexpensive LCD protector on an M9 for years and it has done its job well, but of course is all scratched up. Now that I'm ready to install a very good protector I dread removing the old one for fear of damage. I'll let you know how it goes. :(

Why refrain from using a screen protector?

A true Leica Man* does not defile his M240 with a screen protector.  He photographs devil may care without one and trades in the camera for a new copy at the first sign of even the tiniest scratch on the screen, thus confirming his financial manhood to all we lesser souls.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/leica-man.htm

(oh, to own an M-P with the Hermes leather in baboon's ass orange...)

Edited by Carlos Danger

• 2 weeks later...

So many people on here keep mentioning iPhones. Maybe they are popular outside the UK but here they seem to be toys used by rich people's children.

Why people pay so much for a mobile phone is beyond me. Emperor's new cloths?

To me there is no comparison in engineering terms between a Leica M240 (or a Leica anything) and a rather ugly gadget that will be superseded very soon by another ugly gadget called iPhone 7 ... which will still be unable to get a mobile signal in most parts of the country.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

?

What country do you live in?

Virtually every phone in the UK is either an iPhone or a Samsung. The rest of the available brands share out the few remaining customers.

Given we are talking about the use of mobiles as a camera, I think it's perfectly reasonable to use the term iPhone to cover all smart phones... after all, the first iPhone changed the smartphone market to what we know it as today. Just as iPad and iPod did for those product categories... There were other manufacturers to market with similar products, in the case of iPad and iPod, some even earlier, but these products again were market changers.

As far as rich kids toys...? Samsung is cheaper, the iPhone is seen as a premier brand. Most users don't see it that way of course... they just use what they like.

So not that much different to choosing Leica...

And in good light, the iPhone is a pretty damn good camera. Certainly far better than a box brownie or a Kodak Instamatic... and in some hands, equal to the vast majority of so called cameras.

For 'normal' people of course. :)

• Like 5

So many people on here keep mentioning iPhones. Maybe they are popular outside the UK..

...will be superseded very soon by another ugly gadget called iPhone 7

For someone professing to be bemused by these things called "iPhones" you seem to know quite a bit about them.

Then in your case it's a $1.00 phone. You need service anyway so the subscription is academic.

No, it is not academic. That subscription pays for an iPhone in a bit more than half a year. I run my phone on a prepaid card which is about $10 a month. 

No, it is not academic. That subscription pays for an iPhone in a bit more than half a year. I run my phone on a prepaid card which is about $10 a month. 

All those savings help when you want to dump a bunch of cash on a camera and lenses.

All those savings help when you want to dump a bunch of cash on a camera and lenses.

I don't understand. The subscription i mentioned above runs for at least two years. if you buy that subscription they throw in an iPhone for "just" $1. Buying your phone that way will cost you the price of about three and a quarter iPhones but will buy just one.

The problem with the newly released M screen protector is that it cuts the LCD sharpness and makes it hard to see focus during and after shooting. I had to remove it. The LCD resolution in its own is not great and the protector makes it unusable to evaluate photos.

Agreed.

The problem with screen protectors, is they tend to make the screen look worse than a fewer scratches would.

Maybe the sales offer concept  by mobile phone companies is a model for camera vendors? 

Nice life-time value model.  ;)

Pay € 100 a month and get a new camera every 5 years, full service, all components (sensors, scratch-free back screens ...) included.

Edited by Alberti

I don't understand. The subscription i mentioned above runs for at least two years. if you buy that subscription they throw in an iPhone for "just" $1. Buying your phone that way will cost you the price of about three and a quarter iPhones but will buy just one.

Being a canny Scot, I agree with Pop. You do not need to be a mathematician, simple arithmetic is sufficient, to work out that the Mobile Phone companies have a very profitable business model persuading people to buy their phones bundled with a cast iron 2 year service contract that is very difficult to get out of even if the service is unsatisfactory. I usualy buy a second hand recent but not necessarily the very latest smartphone and have a monthly contract that gives me more calls and texts than I ever use plus 2 Gb data per month which I can also use for tethering my laptop or tablet at a cost of £11 per month

• Like 2