MOUNTAIN GORILLAS VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK, RWANDA

michali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We’ve just returned from a Mountain Gorilla trek in Rwanda which we did for my wife’s 50th birthday. 

There are approximately 1, 000 Mountain Gorillas left. Approx. 60% of them live in a range of extinct volcanoes which border the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Uganda. 
Our trek was in the Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda which is situated in & around the volcanoes on the open border between these 3 countries.
This unfenced contiguous eco-system also includes 2 other national parks, Democratic Rep. of Congo’s Virunga National Park & Uganda's Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. 

The habitat consists of dense rainforest which covers 8 volcanoes in the area, 2 of which we hiked up to reach the Mountain Gorillas.  
Average altitude is about 2, 750 metres (9, 000 feet) above sea level. 

We did 2 treks on 2 consecutive days, covering over 18 kms up & down 2 volcanoes, accompanied by a guide, 3 trackers, 2 porters & 4 armed rangers. Trekking poles are a necessity.  

I limited myself to 2 cameras & 2 lenses, SL2, SL2-S Reporter, VE24-90mm & VE 90-280mm. 
The majority of my images were taken with the SL2-S & VE24-90mm combination.

When our trackers located a Gorilla family group, we had to leave backpacks, trekking poles, porters & armed rangers behind, before entering the area the Gorillas were in. 
I carried 1 camera over my shoulder & the other in my hand. It’s only then, at that altitude & after a 5 km hike up the side of a volcano through thick rainforest, that you can really feel how much the 2 SLs & Vario-Elmars weigh 😅

We had the privilege of spending 1 hour with the Gorillas; 1 family of 15 members on day 1 & another family of 17 on day 2.  It truly was a most humbling & extraordinary experience. 

I came down the volcano with a refreshingly different outlook on things & thinking to myself that most of what goes on with world politics, humans & all of our bullshit, count for absolutely nothing, compared to what we experienced in the 1 hour in the presence of these great apes.

SL2-S Reporter & Leica VE24-90mm
(please click on images for better res.)

A fully grown Silverback.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Female & her 3 month old baby 

My wife on the right, a friend, our guide & ranger.
Edited by michali
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

SL2-S Reporter & Leica VE24-90mm

(please click on images for better res.)

A young male & part of his family group.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Bisoke Volcano
Edited by michali
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

A wonderful set (which of course is what I expect of you).  When we visited Uganda & Rwanda, we did two gorilla treks in each country, finding these wonderful creatures endlessly fascinating.  Since the authorities only allow you one hour with a family, Barbara, noting that the apes largely ignored us, quipped them whispering to one another, "Just ignore them and they'll go away in an hour.'

• Haha 3

On 12/12/2022 at 12:20 AM, Boojay said:

Fantastic Michael, what an amazing experience, thank you for sharing part of it here!  Happy Birthday to your wife too.

Thank you Jayne, much appreciate your feedback & your wishes for my better half.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:12 AM, stuny said:

A wonderful set (which of course is what I expect of you).  When we visited Uganda & Rwanda, we did two gorilla treks in each country, finding these wonderful creatures endlessly fascinating.  Since the authorities only allow you one hour with a family, Barbara, noting that the apes largely ignored us, quipped them whispering to one another, "Just ignore them and they'll go away in an hour.'

Thank you Stuart, as always appreciate your comments & feedback. I find Barbara's comment very funny.

22 hours ago, Idawhat said:

Amazing tale about your adventure with very good images as a bonus.

I much enjoyed your perspective of our world as it is today. Nature has a way of bringing us back to what is real and meaningful.

Thank you Bill, I appreciate your comments! Yes, nature is the great leveller.

Best,

Mike

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking at these images just takes my breath away. The first one of the male silverback nearly brings me to tears. The way we have decimated the population of these magnificent creatures by our greed and ignorance is appalling. Images like the ones you have posted here can help to increase support for organizations working to preserve their future. Many thanks! 

Happy birthday to your wife. She doesn't look a day over 30. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2022 at 4:23 PM, fotografr said:

Looking at these images just takes my breath away. The first one of the male silverback nearly brings me to tears. The way we have decimated the population of these magnificent creatures by our greed and ignorance is appalling. Images like the ones you have posted here can help to increase support for organizations working to preserve their future. Many thanks! 

Happy birthday to your wife. She doesn't look a day over 30. 

Thank you for your comments Brent. I fully agree with your sentiments, when looking at him, it felt as if I was staring extinction in the face.

6 hours ago, Chris Nebard said:

Inspirational. How life affirming such a trip must be. And great shots, as always.

Thanks Chris I really appreciate your comments.

Best,

Mike

Thank you for sharing, I hope the respect you have is shared by more and more humans and Mountain Gorillas contine to survive in the wild.

I find your work encourging, the work people are performing on preservation, I enjoy your images from the plains as well as now, in the mountains

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sjz said:

Thank you for sharing, I hope the respect you have is shared by more and more humans and Mountain Gorillas contine to survive in the wild.

I find your work encourging, the work people are performing on preservation, I enjoy your images from the plains as well as now, in the mountains

Thank you Sjz, I really appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

Mike