Code for Tele Elmar 135mm?

Robinyuill

My Tele-Elmar 135/4 is a manufactured in 1970 and has no screw holes in the mount at all. My lens has a 39mm filter thread. Presently it is coded as an Apo-Telyt 135/3.4, i.e. its' successor. I have indeed hand-grinded it myself. I'm quite handy. Sending the lens off for modification will quickly cost more than the lens is worth.

Have a look here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/135mm_f/4_Tele-Elmar It's the one in the middle on the picture on top of the web site.

Again, will an M9 read the code for 135/4, if I change the code?

Edited by bjornthun
Clarification

Take a little paint remover and remove what you've got, re-fill as 100111 and give it a try. If it doesn't work just re-paint it back to the 3.4 APO code. I have the same lens you do, never felt any need or desire to code it. It needs zero corrections, the coding does nothing but put EXIF ID, and for all the years I used that (and every other) lens with film there was no such thing as lens-ID in EXIF and somehow the world didn't end :p

That's probably what I will end up doing, when my M9 is back. Currently it's in for a CLA and adjustment.

I only have to make one more little groove to fill with black paint. I use a Dremel for this, and a Coder-Kit to find the exact position to work on. Then one of the current markings must be switched from black to white, but that's easy.

I like having correct EXIF, since it makes things easier in LR and there is less for me to remember.

First I'm going to check if the new firmware makes the M8 recognise the Apo-Telyt 135/3.4. The M8 firmware has been updated for the new f/2.4 version of the Summarits.

Edited by bjornthun
Typo