Leica M5 lightmeter

crow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know it works kind of a CL cds light meter.

If I am right the M6 meters all different light sources in front of the camera and sort of comes up with a metering as a sum up.

The M5, like the CL, is more of a spot on, large but still a spot.

Already got a nice M5, with a working Light Meter and distinct clear Rangefinder.

Looking for a 1.4x maginifier so that portrait lenses work better.

Leica Elmar C 90mm f4, and

Leica, Elmar 9cm, f4+Leica Screw to M adapter.

The first one is sharper but is supposed to work with a shorter RF Base such as the CL one.

The second is a bit softer, but looks sharp to me.

I'll have to sell one after I've tried them.

While both meters cover similar areas, the M5 has the metering area marked on the 50mm frame window that is very accurate and helpful in understanding the metering area. The M5 has almost no response to light outside the indicators, but does have a variation when a bright spot moves across the metering area, with strongest response directly in center.

This is obvious in the M5 because the meter readout is a moving needle, so slight changes in needle position can be seen.

The M6 has LED arrows that are digital response, not continuously variable. As you adjust exposure the second arrow first comes on half-brightness, then changes so both arrows are equal brightness (early M6 at least). I believe the 7 and possibly later 6s have a center dot for best exposure instead of half-brightness of an arrow.

Both work well, but you get more information from the analog meter. However, the M5 Cds cell has slower response due to the "memory" effect of Cds.

The M5 meter is turned on when the shutter is wound, and remains on until the shutter is fired. (No switch in the wind lever like the CL.) A lens cap increases the circuit resistance to help battery life, but as modern cells have less reserve than the original mercury cell, you really need to leave the shutter unwound.

The M5 meter cell begins moving out of view as you add even slight pressure to the shutter release (gradual movement as you press, unlike the snap-acting meter arm in the CL - but the gradual moving is less stress on the arm). In contrast, the M6 meter is turned on by a half-press of the shutter button (when the shutter is cocked) - so it is quite different to switch back and forth. I find the M5 and CL are similar enough to make a nice pair to use.

None of the lenses I use on the M5 have an issue with the meter arm, but if you use a collapsible Elmar or one of the deep wide-angles that can be an issue - but not for most of us.

The M5 viewfinder is cleaner, with fewer extra frame lines (no 75 or 28). Seems like the magnification is a bit higher on the M5. But if you use either of these lenses you might prefer the M6.

I own, use, and like both the M5 & M6 - but the differences are enough that it takes a bit to get comfortable when switching back and forth. My favorite is the one I happen to be using on that day.

The above tallies with my experience. I have used the M5 ( I own several and use all but one which is the anniversary model and new in a box) in all sorts of situations. I also use the M6 and the M7 and my experience shows that- for me - the M5 has the most accurate light meter of the Leica film models. Caveats are the fact that some lenses impede the swinging up meter and that you need either a special battery or an adapter for the newer battery types.

I recall shots taken in the Jokang Temple in Lhasa, with only butter-lamps as lighting, using Kodachrome and the Noctilux f 1.2 50 mm. Metering was still accurate and the results some of the most impressive "mood" pictures. I feel that te M5 meter is much more of a spot meter than the reflective spot on later models. The M5 meter seems to have "shutters" that exclude light from wider angles than on the later models.

The only way to be really sure is to try out both the M5 and later models under the same circumstances and make your own decision based on your own shooting style and preferences.

Teddy

• Like 1

Talking about the M5,

I am going to need a larger 90mm frame with in the view finder, to complement the larger rangefinder base. My thought is a 1.4x magnifier. However Leica is about 200 euro. This is too much. I've come close to diopter glass, with exactly the same plastic shape, round that screws on the original VF, but it seems to be for people who wear glasses. Seems that the 1.4x may be a little small of a magnifier. Since used with the 90mm lens perhaps more of magnifying is in order so that the 90mm frame nears the actual VF one; focusing sharp should be easier. All this with a nice working clear RF and Light Meter.

Now that I bought the M5, it hasn't arrived yet, it comes equipped with two 1.35v mercury batteries. I found this: Duracell Battery, Hearing Aid, Mercury Free, Zinc Air 1.4 V, 312.

I am familiar with the iron oxide batteries 1.5v which obviously aren't fit and require a repair mans adaptation service. These are sr44 batteries. I am not familiar with the hearing aid batteries. What size are they?

Are the 312 larger than sr44?

Are they good for my Leica even though 0.5v higher being 1.4v rather than 1.35v?

What does the 1.4v do to the light meter? When the meter shows for instance f5.6/s1000 will it mean f6 or 8/s1000 or f4/s1000? Trying to apprehend over and under exposure, when english isn't my first language things become a little more difficult, even though I studied and earned my degree in the US, it is still different.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it.

My M5 is here.

It gives me the feel of an older III...Leica.

Sturdy, heavy, thin, durable, beautifully quiet noise shutter, great finder, excellent metering system. Just better than I thought. Now I know why my CL found it's perfect mate.

Will test, and compare the 90mm Elmar-C with the 9cm Elmar on both bodies.

Superb, and super!

M5!

Now that I bought the M5, it hasn't arrived yet, it comes equipped with two 1.35v mercury batteries. I found this: Duracell Battery, Hearing Aid, Mercury Free, Zinc Air 1.4 V, 312.

I am familiar with the iron oxide batteries 1.5v which obviously aren't fit and require a repair mans adaptation service. These are sr44 batteries. I am not familiar with the hearing aid batteries. What size are they?

Are the 312 larger than sr44?

Are they good for my Leica even though 0.5v higher being 1.4v rather than 1.35v?

What does the 1.4v do to the light meter? When the meter shows for instance f5.6/s1000 will it mean f6 or 8/s1000 or f4/s1000? Trying to apprehend over and under exposure, when english isn't my first language things become a little more difficult, even though I studied and earned my degree in the US, it is still different.

Crow,

congratulations on the M5. My favorire Leica M camera. You'll love it.

As for the battery voltage, I recommend you try to use the 1.35 v Wein batteries instead of trying to 'compensate' for a higher voltage battery. The reason for this is as follows:

changing the battery voltage will not only result in readings that are off, but off in a non-linear way. Even if you tweak the adjustments or change film-speed settings so that the meter reads correctly at one light level, it probably will still be off at other light levels.

This happens because the voltage supplied by the battery varies in response to the current drawn by the meter circuit -- which in turn varies with the light level, since the meters in these cameras use a CdS cell. (A CdS cell works by varying its electrical resistance in response to changes in light level.)

The meter circuits were designed with extra trim resistors to 'linearize' this behavior for a 1.35v mercury cell. Change the voltage by much, and the linearity will be off.

Thanks.

How about the adaptor, the one that adapts a 1.5V to 1.35V,

or the zinc air battery 1.4V for hearing aid appliances?

They are not designed for cameras, they not only are a different size, but their voltage is less stable. They run out fast and vary their voltage, so you never know how accurate your readings will be. I used them in an OM1n when it ran out of batteries and only had a pharmacy selling hearing aid batteries nearby. I swapped them out for a weincell as soon as I could.

I take it what you 've posted is regarding the 1.4 za battery.

How about the adapter?

Here is the ad in German:

PX625 Adapter

Die ideale Lösung für viele Kameras wie Leica M5, Canon F-1, Rollei 35, Voigtländer VSL1 und viele andere.

Leider wird die ursprüngliche PX625 Batterie nicht mehr produziert.

Oft wird in Fotogeschäften vielen Kunden die PX625U Batterie angedreht, die aber 1,5 Volt statt 1,35 Volt hat und somit zu falschen Meßergebnissen führen kann.

Die Lösung ist dieser Adapter !

Der Adapter entspricht von den Abmessungen der ursprünglichen PX625 Batterie.

In den Adapter kommt eine handelsübliche Zink-Luft Batterie die nahezu die identische Spannung besitzt wie die alte PX625.

In dieser Auktion kaufen Sie einen PX625 Adapter und eine neue Duracell Zink-Luft Batterie !

Neue verbesserte Bauserie. Der Adapter hat jetzt abgerundete Ecken und ist etwas niedriger und paßt so in alle Kameras und Belichtungsmesser die ursprüngliche eine PX625 benötigen.

Thanks.

How about the adaptor, the one that adapts a 1.5V to 1.35V,

or the zinc air battery 1.4V for hearing aid appliances?

I have used both types of adapters in my M5, CL, and other old cameras, and they work well. The "CRIS" diode adapter has the outside dimensions of the old PX625, and fits a 1.5 V "386" silver cell. It works fine in most cameras (like the M5), but has problems in the Leicameter MR due to the center-contact design of the MR.

Jon Goodman (who also sells light seal kits for old cameras) sells an inexpensive adapter for a "675" zinc-air hearing aid battery. Jon's adapter is actually made from the shell of a 625A battery, so fits fine.

The Wein MRB625 is a similar zinc-air cell with a permanent adapter attached.

The zinc-air cells have limited lifetime once exposed to air, but hold up to heavy use during that time. The 386 silver cells last well with occasional use, but not with heavy use.

Nothing lasts like the old Mercury 625 cells. I have one Varta 625 I found in an old camera purchase that still works fine!

Mercury 625 type cells are still made in Russia (last I knew), but are not exported. I once tried one in my M5, and found the body shape a bit off, so it wouldn't make proper contact.

Please be careful with the Russian Mercury batteries. They do manufacture them for some obscure military equipment, and I found a source of them. They are a bit taller than the original ones and would not fit into the M5 battery compartment. At least, I was unable to use them with my M5s. They can work with some older light meters and film cameras, not the Leicas. The seller advised me to use a file on them. I did not want to mess with the toxic thingies. Hearing aid batteries work ok.

Sent from my iPad / Tapatalk HD

Great,

thanks people.

Love my M5, it's in great condition, post 134# serial number, three lugs.

One thing `i am still struggling about is shoot completely still, no shake.

What do you do about it?

The Leica M5 is a bit easier since its weight and size make it more stable, but still I get a little hand shake. I hold my breath or slow it down, I hold the camera against my nose, haven't figured what's the right feet posture. Perhaps a carbon monopod... The M5 has its tripod thread way out to the side of underneath body, unlike my CL.

• Like 1

Great,

thanks people.

Love my M5, it's in great condition, post 134# serial number, three lugs.

One thing `i am still struggling about is shoot completely still, no shake.

What do you do about it?

The Leica M5 is a bit easier since its weight and size make it more stable, but still I get a little hand shake. I hold my breath or slow it down, I hold the camera against my nose, haven't figured what's the right feet posture. Perhaps a carbon monopod... The M5 has its tripod thread way out to the side of underneath body, unlike my CL.

Don't hold your breath. Press the shutter as you exhale normally.

I am looking into Leica M5 books.

First there is the instruction manual. The camera came with a german instr. manual in mint condition, but I don't speak German.

Then there is an M5 brochure with 24 pages.

Also a Leica book form Osterloh.

And another from Matheson.

These last two are supposed to share secrets on using them and getting the most from Leica M1 to M6.

Any book on the use of the M5 I have missed?

Hello Crow,

There is also the "Leica Manual" from 1973. A large book that deals with the M5 to a certain extent.

Mostly you should just practice holding, focussing & firing, etc with the camera with no film in it, as you are sitting or otherwise doing nothing else special. You might find that you may not really need any additional magnification.

Make the camera/lens an extension of yourself by becoming familiar with it in a variety of circumstances. Try & retry all sorts of things in all types of real & immagined circumstances.

As somebody (or perhaps a number of people) said: The more you practice. The luckier you get.

Actually, a mathematically correct pair of statements. Whether we are talking about camera shake, golf, or other.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht