Advice on 75 Summilux

MarkP

Does it really matter since the V1 actually focuses closer than the barrel marking?

Well my v3 focuses a bit closer than 0.8m as well but the specs seem to take this into account for some reason. Anyway at the price those lenses are selling nowadays MFD is not the sole reason of choice i guess. In my case FWIW my main reasons were MFD + built-in hood + the younger age of the lens. Also my German version was mint whereas mint v1 were not easy to find out then so for a more or less 50gr difference i did not hesitate at all i must say. Bulky lens it is anyway and i'm quite happy to use a much smaller Sonnar 50/1.5 on APS bodies when i can do it to be honest. B) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well my v3 focuses a bit closer than 0.8m as well but the specs seem to take this into account for some reason. Anyway at the price those lenses are selling nowadays MFD is not the sole reason of choice i guess. In my case FWIW my main reasons were MFD + built-in hood + the younger age of the lens. Also my German version was mint whereas mint v1 were not easy to find out then so for a more or less 50gr difference i did not hesitate at all i must say. Bulky lens it is anyway and i'm quite happy to use a much smaller Sonnar 50/1.5 on APS bodies when i can do it to be honest. B)

Have you tried the 50mm C-Sonnar for portraits on the CL?

Have you tried the 50mm C-Sonnar for portraits on the CL?

I did. Works fine. It's been my most used lens during my last Xmas and new year family parties. Great to use so small and light a 50/1.5 instead of the bulky Summilux 75/1.4. No focus shift of course when focusing stop down so the lens appears less soft at f/1.5 than it used to be in RF mode on my Ms. It is a Cosina Zeiss lens of course but it complemented well my Summilux 35/1.4 v2 i must say. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summilux75 is historically the first and last lens with the smallest object field at a distance of 0.70m. The Noctilux is a nice idea but has always and still has the flaw of 1m as shortest distance. So you really can’t say that the 75lux is some sort of Noctilux; they have quite different purposes. The 75lux is ideal for baby portraits for instance.

• Like 2