Frustrated... Where is the M9 firmware fix?

NikonJeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All I was saying was that it would not make sense for them to have someone participate in discussions here,....

Actually you did say that this was for

obvious reasons

I'd be grateful if you would let me know what those obvious reasons are. Also, are there any obvious reasons which occur to you to as to why it might make sense for them to participate - and how your first group of obvious reasons might outweigh the second group of obvious reasons.

Of course it makes sense for Leica to monitor the forum. All I was saying was that it would not make sense for them to have someone participate in discussions here, as had been suggested in the post I was responding to.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai

Looking for Baudelaire [WIP]

That's an interesting take on this. I know for a fact that Verizon for instance (a big US telecomm company) monitors comments on their FaceBook page (little different than a forum) and answers/addresses customer questions and concerns.

While it may be time consuming and seem counter productive to have someone monitor and engage customers on forums like this or websites like Facebook, I can say from 15+ years in retail sales, 19 years in wedding photography and 20 years of marriage that communication in any form or measure is important to a relationship.

The biggest piece of information we are missing which IMHO is giving me the most worry is that we have NO idea what Leica intends to do or not to do even after a year of communicating with their office here in the US.

If they would simply state that they are working on a firmware update and they hope to release it by xx/xx/xxxx then we know that we can expect something about 6 months after that. If they say there is no plan to address the problem because they've bungled the relationship with the company that does the firmware then we can all make decisions on what to do with our gear - live with the shortcomings or move on to something else…

Without communication there will always be an air of distaste, distrust, disenfranchisement, and a loss of faith in the company.

Really kind of sad…

Edited by NikonJeff
Lack of coffee...
  • Like 11

I can live with the present status quo but that is not the point. There is a problem (not affecting me). Some indication of an outcome is a reasonable expectation from Leica. Something more than the 'R' solution I hope .

• Like 3

Nikon D2X aaarrrrrrrrgh. Was is and always will be the most expensive paperweight I ever bought. Never ever took a truly sharp photograph despite installing every firmware update, sending back to Nikon, and generally messing about with and tweaking it to no avail. Others though swear by the camera. I just gave up on it in the end as I just couldn't trust it - maybe I got a lemon.

Paul I think you had a lemon… Used my D2x until it was so long in the tooth I needed dentures :p Seriously though every bit of electronics can have a copy that is possessed by gremlins that nothing seems to resolve (this coming from an computer hardware tech's POV).

To me the D2x produced some of the nicest colors - especially for portraits. Love my D3 bodies though - 6 years old and still cranking out the images. Slowly buy surely the M9 and Monochrom will get the bulk of my attention once I stop shooting weddings next year…

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
7 months have passed since the last posting

Is there still no word from Leica regarding an update to firmware 1.196 to fix issues?

It is highly unlikely we will see the issues related to discreet mode fixed with a future firmware update for the now obsolete Leica M9, ME and MM.

Leica has fixed this issue by an entire redesign of the functionality with the M10 camera.

Users of older generation cameras can use earlier firmware as a workaround.

I myself use a FW two generations old on my M9 which allows me to use Discreet mode as designed.

The MM works generally ok in Discreet mode as well with the latest FW (except the occasional hiccup in form of delayed shutter re-cock, which I have learned to ignore).

I think it is time to move on and either use available workarounds or upgrade the camera with either a M10 or a Nikon/Canon/Sony, …

I myself continue to use my old M8.2/ M9/ Mono just fine.

• Like 2

Leica has fixed this issue by an entire redesign of the functionality with the M10 camera.

If by ‘M10’ you refer to the M (Typ 240) then it wouldn’t have that particular issue since it has no discreet mode to begin with. One could argue that the real fix was the much improved shutter sound.

Back when Leica was working on the firmware update for the M Monochrom where this was more of an issue than with the M9, I had asked about an update for the M9, but they wouldn’t commit to that and I got the impression that there probably wouldn’t be another major update.

• Like 4

Exactly as my writing.

Thanks for adding your info.

I also felt that while the MM was on 0.9xx it was almost unusable with DM active.

This has been almost fixed.

Yes, I refer to the newest M and continue to call it M10 as I have found the use of the technical designation type 240 absolutely ridiculous.

Reclocking issues here as well. I'd really like to have a downgrade to 1.176 or a fix. Please Leica, fix your firmware! The M-E has been sold in the stores merely a year ago!

I think the consensus of opinion here is that it won't happen. Realistically, you will need to consider 'workarounds', which most of us seem to have achieved.

If you really want to return to F/W 1.176, PM me and I can make a copy of 1.176 available to you via my DropBox, and most of the other versions.

Reclocking issues here as well. I'd really like to have a downgrade to 1.176 or a fix. Please Leica, fix your firmware! The M-E has been sold in the stores merely a year ago!

Berbor If you need this firmware 1.176 I can send to you please contact me

I myself use a FW two generations old on my M9 which allows me to use Discreet mode as designed.

The MM works generally ok in Discreet mode as well with the latest FW (except the occasional hiccup in form of delayed shutter re-cock, which I have learned to ignore).

Dirk,

I'm interested in how you got to be two releases back - did you just not upgrade, or do you know the trick to installing an old firmware image?

I have tried one and two versions back, but consistently get the message that "this firmware is not compatible with this camera" when I try to apply the old firmware using the normal upgrade manner.

Dirk,

I'm interested in how you got to be two releases back - did you just not upgrade, or do you know the trick to installing an old firmware image?

I have tried one and two versions back, but consistently get the message that "this firmware is not compatible with this camera" when I try to apply the old firmware using the normal upgrade manner.

I believe, I never flashed from the current FW two generations back to 1.6xx.

I remember when 1.7xx came along, I tested it for a few days, found that card write times have become extreeeemely slow and immediately flashed back to 1.6xx which I stuck with from then on.

When I had the M9 in Wetzlar recently for a repair, I asked the Leica technician to please leave my old v1.6xx firmware on the camera and not flash to a newer version, which they happily did for me. This I found was a nice gesture, as company policy would usually force support to upgrade to newer firmware during service, especially as warranties are implied …

I am really happy, how individual Leica people handle such customer support the best they can.

If you cannot flash back two generations, I would try to flash from current FW back to 1.7xx and if this FW.