The Sony A7 thread [Merged]

dmclalla

Very happy with the performance of my Leica 21, 50 and 90 lenses, 35 is a problem!  ...

Same to mee; 35mm is an issue ...

The best M-solution actual for A7 seems to be the CV Nokton 1.2/35.

For me it is much too big to carry around the whole day and 35mm is my favorite focallength.

Examples with 35mm 'crons are not convincing.

So I'm waiting on the new CV Ultron 1.7/35 which was announced at Photokina last year and might be availible soon.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but your links refer to the A7II.

We were talking about the A7rII. These two cameras are very different in sensor design.

I would expect that the a7RII would have about the same smearing issues as the a7R, since I expect the same sensor stack thickness. The effects might appear to be slightly worse at 100% because the pixel pitch is somewhat finer.

However, the BSI sensor is likely to be less sensitive to crosstalk, and therefor the corner color casts should be better.

I hope to know soon.

Jim

• Like 1

Maybe yes, maybe no. Just depends on the needs of the photographer. I print up to 72''x60" so I'll take the extra MP if it doesn't affect IQ but as far as the zillion menu options I agree that it's all pretty irrelevant when it comes to the photograph.

It's more like a great time for gear-heads. For photographers all this is irrelevant.

Mike

Dear all,

today I had the opportunity to test the A7RII with the very demanding Voigtländer 12mm/5,6 old version. My consideration was very simple: If the camera manages the corners in that lens - you all know about the magenta issue in the corners - i should be able to manage every wide angle Leica lens too. 

The result of my first shots into the sky with the 12mm is:

It does!

And - yes - I bought it. 

Best regards

lik

Of course I'll be testing it with Leica lenses too later and inform you about the results - if there's interest in that. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Hi,

I made some first shots with my CV 12mm, WATE 16-18-21, Lux 21 and APO Cron 50.

Lux 21 - no smeared corners. To me in practice the lens is at the same IQ level on both bodies.

WATE - I don't know why - I wouldn't call this smearing but the sharpness at 16 mm is better in my Leica M

CV 12 - incredible, surprisingly good. This lens I haven't used for years - now it's worth to put it into the bag. 

APO 50 - remarkably sharper on the Sony than on the M. Even a comparison with medium format could become surprising...

Of course visible CA with the Leica lenses on the Sony because the Sony - and therefore LR does not recognize them. Easily removed. 

I'm sorry not to show photos at this time - once I have the time to do the same job more exactly I will. This is just meant as a little help for the first considerations of those interested in that camera. I'm sure the professional reviewers in the web will confirm results like mine very soon.

For me my first shots show enough to know what to do:

Two mirrorless FF bodies (as I always had in my DSLR times) - M and Sony.

For the easy going handling (easier manual focussing etc.)  without highest resolution requirements - Leica M. And at least to me - the WATE only with M - I can't make this lens perform on the Sony.

For high res. Sony. 

Don't ask me what I would do if I had to decide between the two - maybe waiting for a new M... ;)

Best regards

lik

• Like 4

I too have the camera and have made some comments in this the Leica Q section

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/248626-the-q-vs-sony-a7rii/page-2

Basically I see no smearing improvement thought any edge colour cast has all but disappeared

Thanks David.  That's good to know and seems consistent with expectations expressed by some LUF members.