M240 compressed DNG

mblaze

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mathematical concepts have the annoying property that they don't care whether you like them or not.

I told you this thread would be fun :D

It reminds me this phrase : "There are only 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that don't.

• Like 5

A lossless audio file like a lossless image file is an exact copy of the original. You can not see or hear the difference. If you can, something else is in play in your reproduction chain. But, it has nothing to do with the fact the original information was stored in a lossless format.

Can we finally put this to rest?

• Like 1

So how would you all feel one day to find out that your compressed files cannot do what my uncompressed files can do with Adobe LR105.2?

I would just convert them back to uncompressed DNG and be happy about all the terabytes of storage that I didn't have to buy decades ago when it was so much more expensive.

I would just convert them back to uncompressed DNG [...]

Is that possible? And what would you gain in conversion? Nothing was taken away in compression, right?

and be happy about all the terabytes of storage that I didn't have to buy decades ago when it was so much more expensive.

Storage is dirt-cheap today.

Is that possible? And what would you gain in conversion? Nothing was taken away in compression, right?

Of course it is possible. You wouldn't gain or lose anything. I was just replying to algrove's question.

If, in our hypothetical scenario, there wasn't already an app available for this I would be even happier: I would launch a DNG conversion service and charge all of you a buck per photo :cool:

Storage is dirt-cheap today.

It will be even cheaper (or free) then. With a decent backup strategy you need to store every image multiple times. Let's say you save on average 10MB per photo (does anybody know the uncompressed size of M240 DNGs?). Times four (for backups) that's 40MB per photo. Say you keep 5,000 photos a year that would mean (if my math is correct) you save 200GB storage space per year.

pico, tongue in cheek alert. Read roey again, he is on your side.:)

There was nothing tongue in cheek in my post.

I am not sure what pico's side is. My side is: I save all my DNGs with lossless compression. I have done so for years with the M8 and M9 (I shot uncompressed and had LR convert to losslessly compressed DNG on import). Now the camera does it for me automatically. I appreciate that.

I know that I am not losing anything with lossless DNG. The format and algorithm are well understood and documented.

There was nothing tongue in cheek in my post.

I am not sure what pico's side is. My side is: I save all my DNGs with lossless compression. I have done so for years with the M8 and M9 (I shot uncompressed and had LR convert to losslessly compressed DNG on import). Now the camera does it for me automatically. I appreciate that.

I know that I am not losing anything with lossless DNG. The format and algorithm are well understood and documented.

pico has been saying for a long time that lossless is lossless. He didn't understand your point about the fact that you can switch a lossless file back to uncompressed and it would be the same... he thought you meant that the switch back to uncompressed was better. Again, maybe you didn't understand that your comment was a little tongue and cheeck and I guess neither did pico.

All's good. We (pico and I) get it.

I sense more differences between AIFF and MOV files than between TIF and 100% JPEG.

TIF format supports both lossless and lossy (JPEG) compression, so a file being in TIF format says nothing about whether and how the data was compressed.

TIF format supports both lossless and lossy (JPEG) compression, so a file being in TIF format says nothing about whether and how the data was compressed.

True at the directory view of a TIFF file, but a bit-wise inspection of the file reveals the method of compression, of course, and all viewing software knows how to unwind TIFF.

Oi! I do not think I added anything with this post

So how would you all feel one day to find out that your compressed files cannot do what my uncompressed files can do with Adobe LR105.2?

The human race would have become extinct long before.

Perhaps you think that the next dominant species with access to LR 105.2 may be interested in your photos?

Short of a post-apocalyptic scenario in which nobody would care about Lightroom or Adobe anyway, the chances for that happening are nil.

Just that i share those opinions about the so-called lossless audio format. I would have been glad to challenge some certainties about compressed DNG files as well but i don't see significant differences with uncompressed ones to be honest. Now Lou's reasoning sounds interesting to me from an intellectual standpoint at least.

Just that i share those opinions about the so-called lossless audio format. I would have been glad to challenge some certainties about compressed DNG files as well but i don't see significant differences with uncompressed ones to be honest. Now Lou's reasoning sounds interesting to me from an intellectual standpoint at least.

And some at Adobe also, from what I gather and understand.

Since they are lossless compressed files, we will simply reconstruct the original file from the compressed. Then we can anything you can do. I have no doubt that if LR105.2 can process an uncompressed DNG from 2013 it will also be able to process the compressed DNG. However, at that time, people may ask why we would ever have digitized our crude (having been filtered thru a red, green and blue grid) image information and then stored that on silicon chips or worse... rotating magnetic disks. :)

It can be also the other way around. If everyone will be using DNG compression at that time, the developers/product managers can decide not to maintain code that handles obsolete uncompressed DNG and remove the feature from the application.