Help needed selecting a Diopter

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys I am going to try and get a Diopter for my new M and have some questions to ask before I head over to the Leica Store;

1/. Should I test it in a bright room or a dark room

2/. Should I concentrate on getting the information in the viewfinder crystal clear i.e. shutter speed or should I concentrate on something at say 3,6 or 10 feet away

I have good vision in my right eye, but wear glasses for reading

Any help or other information would be much appreciated

I wear glasses for reading as well, while my distance vision is fine. I use diopters on my M9 and Monochrom to aid in focusing. I believe the Leica rangefinder has a built in correction of -0.5 diopters. I need a plus correction in order to see clearly enough to focus properly. With a Nikon DSLR I need the full correction of my reading glasses, but with my Leica much less correction is required. With the Leica I need a diopter that corrects my vision for objects at about 1 meter distance. I have no problem seeing the information displayed in the finder with or without correction, but I have no experience with the new M.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wear glasses for reading as well, while my distance vision is fine. I use diopters on my M9 and Monochrom to aid in focusing. I believe the Leica rangefinder has a built in correction of -0.5 diopters. I need a plus correction in order to see clearly enough to focus properly. With a Nikon DSLR I need the full correction of my reading glasses, but with my Leica much less correction is required. With the Leica I need a diopter that corrects my vision for objects at about 1 meter distance. I have no problem seeing the information displayed in the finder with or without correction, but I have no experience with the new M.

Thanks Luke

When I mentioned in my first post about getting the information sharp in the Viewfinder that is exactly what I do when I get a new DSLR; so figured that is what I should do with the Rangefinder………….apparently not!!!

I did try a few Diopters in the Leica store when I had my M9-P (6 months ago) but to be honest they didn’t make any difference unless I tried the +2 or -2 and then it was horrible

The Leica store in KL is also dark so that was why I asked the question about dark and bright.

I also noticed that when I got my M and looked at the rangefinder patch at night I found it hard to line up the rangefinder.

Anyway thanks again for your help

With a DSLR I think the image on the focus screen is very close, and my reading correction (+2.0) works well. With my M9/Monochrom the focus patch and the image of the subject seem more distant, so a +1 diopter works fine. I also use the Leica eyepiece magnifier to help with focus accuracy with my longer focal lengths. But with it I have to go to a +1.5 diopter.

It does take some time to determine which diopter gives the desired result. If possible deal with a store that will let you return or exchange diopters. I ended up with a collection of +0.5, +1.0, +1.5, and +2.0

Thanks Luke

When I mentioned in my first post about getting the information sharp in the Viewfinder that is exactly what I do when I get a new DSLR; so figured that is what I should do with the Rangefinder………….apparently not!!!

I did try a few Diopters in the Leica store when I had my M9-P (6 months ago) but to be honest they didn’t make any difference unless I tried the +2 or -2 and then it was horrible

The Leica store in KL is also dark so that was why I asked the question about dark and bright.

I also noticed that when I got my M and looked at the rangefinder patch at night I found it hard to line up the rangefinder.

Anyway thanks again for your help

The 0,5 dioptre that is built into the M rangefinder is there for optical reasons. The viewfinder is optimized for standard vision, so the value must be disregarded for correction lenses.

If you are not in a position to use the tryout lenses of your optician to determine the correct value or even use over-the-counter reading glasses, the strength must be calculated for a distance of 2 meters, which Is the virtual distance of the viewfinder markings. For a magnifier deduct 0.5 dioptre.

The image at infinity is at infinity in the viewfinder as well.

Edited by jaapv

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
The 0,5 dioptre that is built into the M rangefinder is there for optical reasons. The viewfinder is optimized for standard vision, so the value must be disregarded for correction lenses.

If you are not in a position to use the tryout lenses of your optician to determine the correct value or even use over-the-counter reading glasses, the strength must be calculated for a distance of 2 meters, which Is the virtual distance of the viewfinder markings. For a magnifier deduct 0.5 dioptre.

The image at infinity is at infinity in the viewfinder as well.

Jaap

I have a very user friendly optician, so trying this or that is not an issue; so my understanding from what you say is that if my corrected vision for two meters is say + 1 then a +0.5 Diopter should be the best option for me and if my corrected vision is say +0.5 then just stick with what came with the camera

Thanks in advance

Edited by NDWgolf

Jaap

I have a very user friendly optician, so trying this or that is not an issue; so my understanding from what you say is that if my corrected vision for two meters is say + 1 then a +0.5 Diopter should be the best option for me and if my corrected vision is say +0.5 then just stick with what came with the camera

Thanks in advance

I think what Jaapv is saying is to disregard the camera's built-in diopter completely and get what your normal diopter should be (determined by your optician or through experience).

One more important thing to take into consideration: astigmatism. If you have astigmatism (I do), than the Leica diopter a will not work. There's a third party that makes diopter a for individuals with astigmatism. I don't have a link, but I'm sure a quick search will get you to it.

That is exactly what I am saying The viewfinder is optimally configured for persons with a standard normal vision. So it should be treated as a correctionless entity in any calculation, regardless of the values that are used to obtain the neutral vision that it has.

If your correction for two meters is for instance + 2.0 dioptre, you should be using +2.0 dioptre. However, nature does not always follow theory,and there are intermediate values , so do use your optician's tryout lenses to check if your choice is optimal.

Edited by jaapv

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
That is exactly what I am saying The viewfinder is optimally configured for persons with a standard normal vision. So it should be treated as a correctionless entity in any calculation, regardless of the values that are used to obtain the neutral vision that it has.
OK got it thanks

Still a good idea to try different diopters in person; there's math, and then there's an individual's eye.

Just see which one allows you to see and use the focus patch most clearly. If it's not in focus, the rest won't matter.

I prefer glasses since I wear them anyway for sun sensitivity, distance and astigmatism. That way I don't have to keep taking them on or off. And I don't like contacts. Fortunately, for me, the same prescription that fixes everything else also lets me see the focus patch perfectly. Each person is different, and only trying will determine what's right for you.

BTW, the diopter that corrects for astigmatism is the Walter RX eyepiece.

Jeff

• Like 2

Still a good idea to try different diopters in person; there's math, and then there's an individual's eye.

Just see which one allows you to see and use the focus patch most clearly. If it's not in focus, the rest won't matter.

Absolutely. Let's hope your stockist has a good selection. I bought a +1.0 dioptre three years ago but felt the view could be sharper, so last week I tried a +2.0. It was so much clearer in the shop and in full daylight I found things much easier to focus. So for the older person eyesight does deteriorate and it's worth checking dioptre strength from time to time.

To add to what payasam said, you're focusing at a set distance when looking through the viewfinder, and this distance is typically not the same as the object you want to focus on.

My confusion comes the fact that I need no correction to clearly see an object at two meters distance, but I need a +0.5 or +1.0 diopter on my M9/MM to be able to see it clearly enough through the rangefinder to focus on it.