Need guidance on diopters

jackperk

The M9 viewfinder has a power of -O.5 dioptres.

If you wear glasses and want to shoot without them, you need a new viewfinder glass. For example, if your glasses have a strength of +1.0 dioptres, you will need a viewfinder glass with a strength of +1.5 dioptres.

Leica manufactures viewfinders in a range of plus and minus powers.

N.B. A lens with a strength of 1 dioptre has a focal point of one metre from the lens.

In practice the value may vary. The best way to determine which diopter you need is to visit your optician and hold his trial lenses between your eye and the viewfinder, and judge the result. In a pinch the rack of throw-away spectacles at your local chemist will serve.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

For example, if your glasses have a strength of +1.0 dioptres, you will need a viewfinder glass with a strength of +1.5 dioptres.

That's nonsense.

If your eyeglasses are +1 dpt then you will need a correction lens for the camera's eyepiece of +1 dpt as well. As simple as that.

Point being, nobody has eye problems in exact steps of 0.5 diopter. That is why the empirical method works best.

That's right but the blanket advice to add 0.5 dpt to the eyeglasses' strength for the eypiece correction lens is just pure nonsense ... as anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can find out by just thinking about it for five seconds.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M9 viewfinder has a power of -0.5 dioptres.

If you wear glasses and want to shoot without them, you need a new viewfinder glass. For example, if your glasses have a strength of +1.0 dioptres, you will need a viewfinder glass with a strength of +1.5 dioptres.

Not true. All military gun sight rangefinders and other optical instruments have a standard diopter setting of -0.5. This is to energise the eye for precise viewing.

If your spectacles are +1.0 diopter, you need an additional viewfinder lens of +1.0. Do not compensate for the standard -0.5 setting.

Edited by Rolo

... have a standard diopter setting of -0.5. This is to energise the eye for precise viewing.

"Energise the eye" ...!? :rolleyes:

Actually, the purpose of the -0.5 dpt pre-set is to place the optical device's virtual image for the eye at a virtual distance of 2 m/6 ft.

Do not compensate for the standard -0.5 dpt setting.

That's right.

"Energise the eye" ...!? :rolleyes:

Actually, the purpose of the -0.5 dpt pre-set is to place the optical device's virtual image for the eye at a virtual distance of 2 m/6 ft.

Handy in a tank !! :rolleyes:

Regardless, we agree on the usage. :-)

Edited by Rolo

He's made that up. It is nonsense.

If it was good information, anybody with 'normal vision' would need a correction lens and Leica would have made every camera for dozens of years with the wrong diopter. -0.5 dpt is standard for a good reason.

Edited by Rolo

In practice the value may vary. The best way to determine which diopter you need is to visit your optician and hold his trial lenses between your eye and the viewfinder, and judge the result. In a pinch the rack of throw-away spectacles at your local chemist will serve.

Jack,

My advice differs from Jaap's a bit. I have a mild prescription to see better at a distance (-1.5 diopters and have stigmatism-- aspherical retinae, if you will). I have been using diopters on M cameras forever and found that the only way you know which power diopter is appropriate is to try them out. I have not found a useful correlation between the Leica stated diopter power and how well it improves my focus.

On the M9, this requirement has gone from important to critical. So I use the -1.5 on the viewfinder itself, but switch up a bit for the 1.25 magnifier (no diopter) and the 1.4 magnifier (-1.0 diopter). It is a lot of fussing compared to the ease of an SLR adjustable viewfinder, but the Leica glass is so darn fantastic, I am obsessed about doing my part to focus correctly. If you shoot the Summiluxes at 1.4 or 2.0 (or use the extraordinary APO Telyt), then precision is the only way around frustration.

Peter

• Like 1

Another good example that theory and practice don't always match. My (and many others') experience with magnifiers indicates that the diopter correction is less than the naked viewfinder, as mentioned by Peter. Leica insists that there is no difference - in theory. So, with diopters, -these things cost 100 Euro- the best you can do is try before you buy.

Jack,

My advice differs from Jaap's a bit. [...] I have been using diopters on M cameras forever and found that the only way you know which power diopter is appropriate is to try them out. I have not found a useful correlation between the Leica stated diopter power and how well it improves my focus.

Peter

:confused:Where do we differ? If they were readily available it might be practical to try them out - but almost all dealers have to order them. So the try-out lenses of the optician are your best bet.

The information on the Red Dot UK site is actually directly from Leica Camera's own website.

<Leica Camera AG - Photography - LEICA CORRECTION LENSES M>

Perhaps there has been some confusion when the English content was written. That is only my guess.

I agree with the recommendations that your optometrist is the best placed person to assist with selection of any needed correction, including any accommodation factor to be included in the calculation (the eye energising part). If your vision correction is for astigmatism that needs to be taken into account as well. That may be a source of additional confusion

I found this link useful to help me to understand some of the terms better. The difference between dioptre and magnification (correction lenses and eye piece magnifiers) is central.

Eyeglass prescription - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by hoppyman

Excellent discussion! I have multi focals, distance correction of +0.25 and near +2.25. When I received the M9, and tried to focus, I was lacking detail to focus on the focus square to be very accurate. I did find then there was a correction of -0.5. How this then translates is not obvious, because in part it will depend, on how well you can resolve detail in the focusing square and does this then compromise your ability to compose in the distance, or do you use the correction of the multi focals in combination. I tried numerous diopters ranging from +1.0 to +2.5, and found +1.0 is my ideal compromise. It really is worthwhile, to test, before investing in too many diopters :) Once I found the correct diopter, I have now, no problems focusing any lens, any of the lux's ,90mm, or in low light.

Edited by charles-k
  • Like 1

I also wear bifocals and do not remove them for shooting.

If I don't, and if the lower part of each lens in my glasses is for near view and the upper for distance, through which should I be viewing. I assume the upper part. Correct? And as the glasses position my eyes a greater distance from the eyepiece, what complications does that add? Love to hear more from bifocal or trifocal veterans.

Jack, this is where it is not obvious, and you must try out for yourself, maybe at an optometrist. I find I use the top part of multi's for composing and focusing and works great! My correction overall with the diopter and mulit's is +1.25. Intuitively it does not seem correct, but it works! I have excellent far vision, with a mild correction of +0.25 for watching TV. Why overall of +1.25, but it works great :) My suspicion it is a compromise is to correct for near sight vision, which is critical to see full detail for focusing.

• Like 1