Leica R 35-70 f/4 Macro

jip

• 8 years later...

Thanks for making me look through my photos in LR for macro 35-70 shots.  I have a nice collection of photos taken with that lens on my Nikon D600 and D700.  Nice trip down memory lane.  Here are a few.  Be sure to look at them large. 

You really can't go wrong with that lens.  I have the 100 APO but this zoom does a nice job if you do not need to get too close.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Aram Langhans
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, cbass said:

The disadvantages the 35-70 F4 will have in macro mode over a true macro lens is the magnification. It is not 1:1 and probably not even 1:2. The other issue will be is it's not a flat field lens so not ideal for copy work.

The reproduction ratio per the Leica flyer is 1:2.8 and the macro is on the 70mm side.  The 70mm distortion is pretty close to zero, it falls off to about 0.5 on the right hand side, not bad.  Stopping down is always necessary in macro mode and I’ve used f/8 and f/11 with great results in the normal range, so I assume for macro it would be the same.  For the price, a good all around lens (I compare it to the Leica M MATE with many similarities in the way it draws).

The 60mm macro lens is also a good substitute.  It has an f-stop of f/2.8 which makes optical focusing brighter, extremely low distortion and very sharp.  It is not hard to find and a little more expensive than the 35-70 f/4.  I don’t know the standard reproduction ratio, but with the extender tube it is listed as 1:1.  I love that lens natively, it is an older computation, but does well at f/4-f/5.6 on film and digital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1