Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Waiting for this info, me too...

Hi, thanks for your interest in my orchid photo! I put a black cardboard behind the orchid, used a tripod and a stack of three close-up filters (+1,+2,+4); time for this photo was 1/125 at f16 iso 2000. I did not use macro mode. The advantage with this setup is that there is no need fot stacking photos, the disadvantage is that due to diffraction the image is not as clear as for example at f8. This one is at f11 and 1/15, iso 100!

Best regards

Erwin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Hi, thanks for your interest in my orchid photo! I put a black cardboard behind the orchid, used a tripod and a stack of three close-up filters (+1,+2,+4); time for this photo was 1/125 at f16 iso 2000. I did not use macro mode. The advantage with this setup is that there is no need fot stacking photos, the disadvantage is that due to diffraction the image is not as clear as for example at f8. This one is at f11 and 1/15, iso 100!

Best regards

Erwin

attachicon.gifL1030725.jpg

Thanks for getting back to  us. Do you find that it is sharper or otherwise better to use non-macro mode on the Q with the filters, rather than just using the macro mode closer in and then adding filters as needed? That's one of the things I'm trying to learn: whether the closeup filters buy you anything rather than using the macro mode instead.

Thanks for getting back to  us. Do you find that it is sharper or otherwise better to use non-macro mode on the Q with the filters, rather than just using the macro mode closer in and then adding filters as needed? That's one of the things I'm trying to learn: whether the closeup filters buy you anything rather than using the macro mode instead.

I did not use the macro mode here because otherweise I would not get the whole flower in the frame. Regarding IQ, I see no difference using the macro mode or not . If you want to use close up lenses, I recommend B+W or Marumi. You can get them in+1,+2,+3,+4,+5 or as +10 macro lens. Beware that they can be prone to color fringing.

Regards, Erwin

Stacking meniscus filters can cause softness and distortions too.

You may be better served with an achromat eg Canon make some good ones. They are 250D and 500D in 52 and 58mm filter thread. 

Dramatic composition, but I'd prefer the whole flower spike in focus; concentrating on the form, colour and textures. I did like your earlier orchid post...very nice.

all the best..

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

Aspen leaf backlit. Macro mode. handheld.

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, now just a quick try with stacking 4 pics in photoshop (iso 200, f5.6, 1/30) macro mode, close up lenses +1,+2

PS: edit - auto blend layers - stack images

• Like 14

Discovered Wild Iris (Iris missouriensis) in my yard today. A remote cable release and 5X magnification of the focus point would have been a tremendous help. I like to magnify the area in focus and watch it carefully for the wind to settle and then take the photo with no blur. My Canon 5D3 does that effortlessly. Somehow getting out my iPhone and using the remote app is not the same and in this case does not appeal to me. Maybe I'm just old and set in my ways. I still love the Q. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Wild Iris (Iris missouriensis)

• Like 5

Discovered Wild Iris (Iris missouriensis) in my yard today. A remote cable release and 5X magnification of the focus point would have been a tremendous help. I like to magnify the area in focus and watch it carefully for the wind to settle and then take the photo with no blur. My Canon 5D3 does that effortlessly. Somehow getting out my iPhone and using the remote app is not the same and in this case does not appeal to me. Maybe I'm just old and set in my ways. I still love the Q. 

Old so am I...and coming from analogic, still using it sometimes for BW. Use to work manual with the D800, not exploring all the sophisticated functions but just doing basic and very little postprocessing.

With the Q I tried full auto mode for when I want to take pics without anyone to notice, hand hidden behind a long scarf and shooting without looking. The results were so great that I use this mode more and more, and even in macro, with good results.

A real great cam we got here, I am becoming a lazy old lady!!!!

• Like 3

Alpinist after storm

• Like 8

ISO 100

1/1000

f/2.8

• Like 5

iso100

1/400

• Like 9

Too lazy to go out and find flowers in nature, but never to lazy to go out for breakfast.

• Like 3

Couldn't resist an Iris in the yard. Always a sign that spring really is here.

• Like 5

• Like 7

A short story ... few years ago my old faithful mongrel 'Molly' died. I was heartbroken ... we'd had her when my wife Bonnie was alive, she's been dead some thirteen years now!

Three or four weeks after Molly died a package arrived from a good pal of mine ....

i-VFKgnmg-L.jpg

... and here she is in all her glory  :)

i-nN7XtdH-L.jpg

The end!

Edited by MickyW
  • Like 10

How do I upload images to my "Media Center" -- I have just discovered the macro capaBILITIES!

Found the upload and did it... Now when I write a post and include the image, my iPad just freezes the screen (greyed out) and does nothing.  Maybe this site doesn't like iPad Safari?

How do you include images in a post?  {I'll try this full editor this time...}

Grenache Blanc Flowering

Edited by SonomaBear

Walking around the neighborhood discovering Iris. 

• Like 5

• LUF Admin changed the title to Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread
  • LUF Admin unpinned this topic