Q&D Coin photography with X Vario

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These are amazing in not only their detail, but the use of flash with virtually no shadows. What flash compensation did you use, if any? I haven't seen this flash used in macro photography before.

No compensation used … flash level and distances and exposure ascertained by trial and error until it came right … did not take long to arrive at optimum settings.

Also use continuous lighting (cheap £10 Ikea Jansjo swan neck LED lamps) which are much easier to work with http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/299919-coins-x-vario-leitz-elpros.html .

• Like 1

In theory the Elpro 2 and 3 lenses could be used on the X Vario but would require a 55mm to 43mm step down ring ... which not recommended and probably not feasible unless several stepping rings are used together.

dunk

Maybe these could help? Filteradapter Adapterring Step-Up 43mm - 55mm 43-55mm | eBay

Cheers,

Bruno

Some facts and figures ref Leitz Elpro R lenses:

The Leica R system Leitz Elpro VIb close up lenses are over 40 years old but they are highly corrected 4.92 diopter achromats.

Elpro 2 close up lenses are optically the same as the VIb but have a different thread ie a dual M55/M44 thread as distinct from Series VI .

Elpro 2 types cost more on the used market than the Series VI types.

I paid between £10 and £25 each for my VIb Elpros.

Other Elpro c/u lenses are also available but their magnifications are much less than the VIb and type 2 eg:

Type 1 and VIa: 2.51 diopters; Type 3 and VIIa : 1.66 diopters; Type 4 and VIIb: 0.75 diopters.

I have used two VIb and two VIa Elpros together with no visible vignetting when used with the Leica X1.

In theory the Elpro 2 and 3 lenses could be used on the X Vario but would require a 55mm to 43mm step down ring ... which not recommended and probably not feasible unless several stepping rings are used together.

dunk

Since posting this I have in fact acquired a 55mm to 43mm stepping ring and it works fine with Elpro 2 and Elpro 3

Cheers

dunk

Dorr 43mm Macro Filter Kit Close up +1 +2 +4

Will these close up filters work with the vario?

Thanks

Rosie

Yes they will 'work' but they are budget price single meniscus c/u lenses so unlikely to produce as good quality results as the highly corrected achromatic (doublet) Elpro lenses. Elpro lenses are renowned for their sharpness across the whole of the image frame. Single meniscus lenses cannot match this quality. And there is no such animal as a 'close-up filter' - the correct term is supplementary close-up lens. Filters alter the colour balance and/or the incident light intensity; close-up lenses alter the magnification.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 1

I use these closed-up with my X Vario and I am very satisfied.

Their diameter of 43 mm makes useless the addition of a ring intermediate.

The price is approximately 100 € both in kit CM 2000.

DCR-150 Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera

DCR-250 Super Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera

Guy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use these closed-up with my X Vario and I am very satisfied.

Their diameter of 43 mm makes useless the addition of a ring intermediate.

The price is approximately 100 € both in kit CM 2000.

DCR-150 Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera

DCR-250 Super Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera

Guy

Raynox are superb and will be just as good as Leitz Elpros. I use Elpros because for Leica Society 'Circle' submissions (portfolios assessed/critiqued by Leice Society Circle members) I am obliged to use Leica manufactured optics.

dunk