I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nostalgic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

8 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thanks so much Ken. I never noticed that about the tyres (Australian spelling) - Ansel might have to rename it the "Tyre System"! I have a feeling there are a few more tyre pictures to come.

I apologise for jumping in here...

Nice photo, Phil the tree and tyres along the fence. I see you are giving the MF frequent outings. How do you find the weight of the Rollei?

Speaking of weight...  I bought a Nikon F2 Photomic against all reason late last year! Fortunately, there have been some good things said on this thread lately about Nikon F series cameras and manual focus lenses (@John Robinson, @Ouroboros, @Charles Morgan, @bags27) which help me feel better about the purchase.

Anyway, more to the point, and in the spirit of Commonwealth spellings...

A sea of tyres.   [Silvermax 100]

• Like 16

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8 Ais, Kodak Tri-X 400, Rodinal 1:50 13' 20°C.

• Like 16

Perspective.

• Like 17

Another twilight image where Acros comes into its own for longer exposures, again on the 5x4 large format camera. I think this was around 15 seconds shutter speed.

Again drum-scanned. On the analogue contact sheet the moon is a blown-out white dot, and you'd think gone for good .... but, in fact, the negative and drum scan did actually record all the info of the moon, so it is easy to circle and burn in during post.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 18

30 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Another twilight image where Acros comes into its own for longer exposures, again on the 5x4 large format camera. I think this was around 15 seconds shutter speed.

Again drum-scanned. On the analogue contact sheet the moon is a blown-out white dot, and you'd think gone for good .... but, in fact, the negative and drum scan did actually record all the info of the moon, so it is easy to circle and burn in during post.

A wonderfully original aesthetic interpretation!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you ever need an axe, asbestos gloves or a fire extingisher, I know where you can get some ..

M6, Voigtlander Nokton 1:1.4/40, Fomapan 200

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Am 8.5.2021 um 09:53 schrieb stray cat:

slim's 2021

rolleiflex, 80mm, velvia 50

Great photo, Phil. An exceptional match of colors, contrasts, planes with a pinch of poetry 

Am 8.5.2021 um 15:37 schrieb atournas:

Rainy.

Very nice, atournas. I love the tonality , the contrasts and of course the curve of the way... 

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Jon Warwick:

London Eye with 5x4 large format camera, using Acros 100.

It was conveniently an exposure of 2 minutes, which needed no adjustment for reciprocity!

My Hasselblad will get a wry look after having seen this.... Very nice indeed, Jon

vor 14 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

hinnomunjie i 2021

rolleiflex, 80mm, velvia 50

living in the northern hemisphere, it´s easy to forget down under autumn is near... thank you for this beautiful reminder. The colours ... 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

•  Café Leitz, Wetzlar   •

M4-P 35 Lux FLE Kodak Gold 200 in Cinestill C-41

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

First off, I want to say what an explosion of incredible pictures there is in this thread, as well as a tsunami (talk about mixed metaphors!) of an intriguing mixture of camera formats! To think that film, with its attendant cost, relative inconvenience and so on still manages to attract such a devoted and passionate following is just wonderful. Plus I'd like to acknowledge the support, positivity and encouragement received here...

10 hours ago, Suede said:

I apologise for jumping in here...

Nice photo, Phil the tree and tyres along the fence. I see you are giving the MF frequent outings. How do you find the weight of the Rollei?

Speaking of weight...  I bought a Nikon F2 Photomic against all reason late last year! Fortunately, there have been some good things said on this thread lately about Nikon F series cameras and manual focus lenses (@John Robinson, @Ouroboros, @Charles Morgan, @bags27) which help me feel better about the purchase.

Anyway, more to the point, and in the spirit of Commonwealth spellings...

A sea of tyres.   [Silvermax 100]

Thank you so much Pritam! I hope you are well, and I love that sea of tyres! You can imagine it IS an actual sea with those big waves tossing around some poor unfortunate little boat. Besides that, it is an impressive landscape!

Yes, the weight of the recently-acquired Rolleiflex SLR is perhaps the one thing that I don't love about it. It's OK, but with three lenses, a couple of backs, film inserts and assorted paraphernalia, it's certainly getting up there. I recently bought a ThinkTank backpack to house it all in. The load is heavy but manageable on my back. The good thing about this "MindShift" pack is that it opens from the rear, so you can swivel the whole back around to your front, open it, and the pack kind of sits out in front of you like a table so you can access the camera, change lenses or backs or whatever, take the shot, pack up again - all without having to remove the backpack. Nice! 

Oh I have been so interested to see the recent spate of Nikon Fs - such beautiful tanks! The pictures from them - both in this thread and in the history of photography generally - attest to how brilliantly right Nikon got it from the outset. I've never used one (I've used Canon's version), but imagine they are as wonderful to use as they are to look at. Albeit heavy!

6 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Great photo, Phil. An exceptional match of colors, contrasts, planes with a pinch of poetry 

living in the northern hemisphere, it´s easy to forget down under autumn is near... thank you for this beautiful reminder. The colours ... 

Thank you so much, Klaus. I feel that we (as a planet, and in some/many cases unfortunately not yet) are perhaps only just beginning to emerge from the enforced hibernation that covid has visited upon us, so I hope it is possible that we will all see a freshness and new vitality in the world that surrounds us as this process advances. The photos in this thread - not least by any means your own - have been truly inspirational in engendering a passion to get out there and press those long-neglected shutter buttons. It would be interesting, sociologically, to examine just how one's renewed or reawakened vision of the world has been affected by the time of relative absence. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

M4-P 35 Lux FLE Kodak Gold 200 in Cinestill C-41

• Like 16

Leica iiif + Elmar 35mm + Fuji Superia 400

• Like 14

Nobody Cares about the No Smoking Signs

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Red Light Area ;)

• Like 4

Finger in the Frame, this lens is Tiny

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 Shots Stitched together in lightroom

• Like 11