I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Before and after shots of a "Banksy" (really?  not sure) at London South Bank in 2005 and 2006.  Both on Fuji 100, first with a Leica M2 and the second with a Bessa R3a.  Someone didn't like it.  Was it the "street" language?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

M4-P 35 Lux FLE Kodak Gold 200 in Cinestill C-41 rendered in B&W

Edited by bags27
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, Xícara de Café said:

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8 Ais, Kodak Tri-X 400, Rodinal 1:50 13' 20°C.

Yes, good choice!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

nature taking over... 

• Like 17

and, over the river, two kites enjoying themselves  performing stunts in the air... when the train arrived, I had just finished the survey of the place.

all pictures MP and Summarit 2,4/50; Acros II , Rodinal

• Like 18

13 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Before and after shots of a "Banksy" (really?  not sure) at London South Bank in 2005 and 2006.  Both on Fuji 100, first with a Leica M2 and the second with a Bessa R3a.  Someone didn't like it.  Was it the "street" language?

I will always stop and ponder graffiti of this sort. It can seem so ugly and repulsive, but yet, the sort of thing that  archeologists pray for when they unearth the relics of past societies. Is that a tube of glue stuffed into the crack on the bottom of the photo?

Thanks for the photos.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M4-P 35 Lux FLE Kodak Gold 200 in Cinestill C-41 

• Like 15

17 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Nikon F2 Photomic, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8 Ais, Kodak Tri-X 400, Rodinal 1:50 13' 20°C.

There is a certain irony in posting a shot here taken with the Nikon F2, given that many consider the F and then the F2 the cameras that sank Leica as a first choice for reportage.  I used Nikons for years before I discovered the joys of the light weight and superb lenses of the Leica Ms, starting with an M2 before the M8 arrived (put an M2 or M9 next to a F4 or D700 and consider which you would rather carry around all day).  I dumped nearly all my film-era Nikon lenses after testing them on digital with one exception:  the Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55.  Put this on a digital SL and you have something quite remarkable. 

I swapped the Nikkors for Leica R-lenses which are superb on digital and more recently -- after looking back and considering that film has a "look" that is quite different from digital -- on a Leica R5.  While R-lenses can be adapted to Nikon (try a Leitaxed Summicon on an F for a very interesting experience), the Nikkors can't go the other way on Leica film cameras which is a shame when it comes to the Micro-Nikkor.  Of course there are the Macro-Elmarits and I have to admit to not having tried one (compare the prices they fetch with good examples of the Micro-Nikkors), so all I can say is that if there is one Nikon lens to hold on to, it is the Micro-Nikkor. 

Which brings us full circle back to the dilemma (on a Leica site):  how to demonstrate what a Micro-Nikkor can do on film -- of which your shot is an excellent example?  Maybe the Nikon F and F2 are so iconic that they can be given an honorary title of the camera Leica should have built in the 1960s?

Edited by John Robinson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John Robinson said:

There is a certain irony in posting a shot here taken with the Nikon F2, given that many consider the F and then the F2 the cameras that sank Leica as a first choice for reportage. 

Ever swimming against the tide, I, as you did, started with a Nikon (an FE) and made a journey through to an older Leica. In my case by way of a Nikon F2, a Kiev IV, a Contax IIa and III and finally to a Leica IIIf with Summicron 50/2 and Summaron 35/3.5. With the exception of the Kiev, of which my example has some annoying little problems, I love all of these cameras. My preferred shots generally come from the Leica or the Contaxes, but I can't deny that I have a better success rate (no. of good shots from per roll) with the SLRs - although a SBOOI viewfinder on the IIIf more recently has helped a lot.

While R-lenses can be adapted to Nikon (try a Leitaxed Summicon on an F for a very interesting experience),

Oooh, how is this done? A ready-made adapter?

Which brings us full circle back to the dilemma (on a Leica site):  how to demonstrate what a Micro-Nikkor can do on film -- of which your shot is an excellent example

Thanks. Not quite the same thing, but you could always get a Nikon digital, an extension tube and digitize your Leica negatives with the Micro-Nikkor. 🙂 Which is what I've been doing with my 55/2.8 since the beginning of the year.

Lovely shot of the horses above.

All the best

Edited by Xícara de Café
  • Thanks 1

Nikon F2 again, as above

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, Xícara de Café said:

[...]

Oooh, how is this done? A ready-made adapter?

[...]

Thanks. Not quite the same thing, but you could always get a Nikon digital, an extension tube and digitize your Leica negatives with the Micro-Nikkor. 🙂 Which is what I've been doing with my 55/2.8 since the beginning of the year.

I have a Leitax adaptor to put a Leica R lens on F-mount with a little lever on the side to open up the aperture for focusing.  The web site for Leitax (leitax.com) has all the details.  Very easy adaptation and gets the focus going in the "correct" direction on the F or F2 body with the benefit of the titanium shutter and full-frame focusing screen and the unmistakeable feel of the Nikon.

Leica SL with Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55 on a Leica BEOON (and various adapters) doing an excellent job of old B/W negatives.

• Thanks 1