I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

HI Paul...for hand held use I feel the Voigtlander finder allows me to obtain different angles and perspectives much easier than the standard finder [...]

As an example, I would have had to lay down on my back to take this shot with the standard finder...with the Voigtlander, I just had to crouch down a little.

Best,

Marc

Hi Marc. True, it would be a real pain to take that shot you've posted with SWC's standard finder. It all depends on what sort of photographs you aim at, though. As for that "aura of mystery" I mentioned, somewhat metaphorically, I meant the characteristic way the SWC renders the far distant background and how the rest of the image recedes towards it. I call it a mystery because you cannot always pre-visualize it.

Paul

• Like 1

Last weekend I flew home to farewell my Dad, and happened to dig deep in a forgotten cupboard, looking for lenses for my daughter (feeding her growing interest in film). In addition to finding my old Canon F1N, 17mm FD and 500mm Reflex FD lenses, a Kowa 6, which we took out shooting the next day, and a plethora of long-forgotten slides, I also found some films (including 4 unexposed Tech Pan 120, and 2 bulk loaders with something inside, one of which has a 1984 Tri-X 5063 label on it).

Amongst them were 2 exposed no-name 35mm films, on which I had written ASA 20. I semi-stand developed them this morning, with one going to straight black. The other, however, has come out with some super high-contrast images, and a quick look with glazed eyes has me seeing some camels. I don't remember taking photo's of camels, but have encountered them in Australia and Afghanistan / Pakistan.

I'll have to wait until I get back from work today to see what the mystery reveals. Either way, the shots will have been from between 1984 and 1991. It's amazing to me that they can survive the rough treatment I have meted out.

What fun! There are also a Pan F (pre-+), 2 Kodachromes (which I'll try B&W developing), an Agfa chrome RS50 Plus, and a 120 roll of Fujichrome 100D to play with.

Edited by EoinC
  • Like 7

The Rollei 35 does have its limitations, but with careful use it can take photos in very low light.  This photo was taken by me in Megiddo Israel many years ago.  It is the tunnel dug for water by the inhabitants.  I was shooting Kodachrome 64 back then, and the lights are only the bulbs overhead, probably around 100 watts each.  I am guessing my exposure was around 1/15 of a second at f2.8, or wide open.  I did not use a tripod, but probably leaned against something while I knelt down to hold the camera steady.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Leica M6

I put this in the 'street photography' forum with little to no response.  I happen to have several rolls of delta 3200  It took several recipes to get satisfactory results.  This image was pulled to 1000 asa and developed in hc-110 b.  I can see using this combo for highly structured compositions and thought I would share the results with film shooters.

Frank

Edited by Frank Sellitto
  • Like 11

A "wow" from me, too, Klaus.

Leica M6, Color-Skopar 2.5/35, Tmax 400

attachicon.gifLucca26.jpg

Well, could be the absence of electrical wires????

This one may be nicer than the previous picture

You know why ? :D

Best

Henry

A "wow" family moment, James.  Can't get better than this...

Today some more Mamiya shots. First on Ilford HP5+:

attachicon.gifBild-1-76.jpg

Hi Frank - It is a lovely photo with nice grain and shapes.  I don't know if street photography was the most suitable sub-forum.  I might have posted it in the Architecture sub-forum given the shapes and buildings.  It doesn't look pulled to me.  I understand that the native ISO of this film is 1600...

Leica M6

I put this in the 'street photography' forum with little to no response.  I happen to have several rolls of delta 3200  It took several recipes to get satisfactory results.  This image was pulled to 1000 asa and developed in hc-110 b.  I can see using this combo for highly structured compositions and thought I would share the results with film shooters.

Frank

Interesting halos, Christoph.  Looks like it could be a B&W conversion of Cinestill 800T :)

Here a shot from the third category

attachicon.gif150323_1_Rollei35SE_0001.jpg

Rollei 35SE, Tri-X, ns

Rgds

C.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Rollei 35 does have its limitations, but with careful use it can take photos in very low light.  This photo was taken by me in Megiddo Israel many years ago.  It is the tunnel dug for water by the inhabitants.  I was shooting Kodachrome 64 back then, and the lights are only the bulbs overhead, probably around 100 watts each.  I am guessing my exposure was around 1/15 of a second at f2.8, or wide open.  I did not use a tripod, but probably leaned against something while I knelt down to hold the camera steady.  

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing.  

I have some ancient structures from Jerusalem to share as well.

I took some photos during the summer of the Western Wall in Jerusalem, which was the western outer wall of the second Jewish Temple and was built by King Herod about 2000 years ago.  At the time, the temple was considered to house the presence of God and thus the Wall is considered a piece of that history and spiritual connection.  Jews flock to this wall and pour out their soul in prayer.  They often also leave a part of their soul in the form of letters and notes to God that they fold up and stick in the cracks between the large limestones.  

Given the significance of the Wall, I wanted to see if I could come up with some interesting isolated photos using both slide film and portra 160 (which is good with neutral tones)

Here are two taken with Velvia 50 and the SWC

Edited by A miller
  • Like 15

Here is the second, also with Velvia 50 and the SWC

• Like 10

Hi Frank - It is a lovely photo with nice grain and shapes.  I don't know if street photography was the most suitable sub-forum.  I might have posted it in the Architecture sub-forum given the shapes and buildings.  It doesn't look pulled to me.  I understand that the native ISO of this film is 1600...

Thanks for responding Adam.  Actually the native iso is 1000 asa.  That's why I gave it a go.

You have a point about the choice of sub-forum, however I could make the argument that photographers such as Friedlander, Koudelka, Robert Frank and Walker Evans (just to name a few of my favorites) have been drawn to peopless structures from time to time.  It may be stubbornness   on my part, coming from the tradition of street photography but when all is said and done it truly comes down to how one sequences his or her work and how an artist wants to present himself.  Poetic Closure if you will!

Sorry for the babble,

Frank

• Like 2

Thanks for responding Adam.  Actually the native iso is 1000 asa.  That's why I gave it a go.

You have a point about the choice of sub-forum, however I could make the argument that photographers such as Friedlander, Koudelka, Robert Frank and Walker Evans (just to name a few of my favorites) have been drawn to peopless structures from time to time.  It may be stubbornness   on my part, coming from the tradition of street photography but when all is said and done it truly comes down to how one sequences his or her work and how an artist wants to present himself.  Poetic Closure if you will!

Sorry for the babble,

Frank

fair enough, Frank, although this is just a nit but I am not sure "pulling" is the correct term for how you processed the film.  I had always thought that pulling is what you do when you "contract" film in processing and give it less development time than the native ISO in order to reduce the effects of high contrast in a scene and narrow the range of EVs that a scene contains.   Perhaps just semantics...

• Like 2

fair enough, Frank, although this is just a nit but I am not sure "pulling" is the correct term for how you processed the film. I had always thought that pulling is what you do when you "contract" film in processing. Perhaps just semantics...

No, not at all just semantics...

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=89

However, (and I checked on the Ilford site) the native ISO is indeed 3200... so actually, this is pull processing!

But then again... I found this...

"Shorter version: Expose it as 3200 and shoot normally. Develop according to the instructions and make sure you use the correct development time for 3200.

Longer version: Delta 3200 is not an ISO 3200 film, it is more like ISO 1000-1200. If you expose it as 3200 and develop according to the instructions, you are actually push developing it. The film handles that well and it can be in fact shot even as 6400 (with appropriate push development) and some people push it even higher. The pushing comes at a price, though. The price is coarser grain and partial loss of the capability to handle underexposure and large tonal ranges. Exposing (and developing) it as, say, 1200 - 1600 will make it more forgiving.

I would not worry about it right now, shoot at 3200 and develop appropriately. At least first few rolls. If you find it lacking too much tonal range, is too grainy for your taste or that it is too unforgiving with underexposures, consider exposing as 1200 - 1600 and developing as 1600. Great developer for Delta 3200 is Ilford DD-X"

(From the Photography site, from an answer by MirekE) ...so who knows...?

Wish I hadn't got involved with this now... :D

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 2

However, (and I checked on the Ilford site) the native ISO is indeed 3200... so actually, this is pull processing!

no, he rated the film at its native ISO and developed it according to its native iso, so it was in fact neither pulled nor pushed....

The box speed is actually a 2.5'ish stop push to the native iso.  So by rating it at box speed and developing at box speed you are actually pushing the film.

Because of the film's excellent latitude, Ilford markets it at a super high iso in order to establish a niche product.

• Like 2

I edited further by cutting and pasting something else I found, then you posted your reply a few seconds later... so I found out what was actually happening!

As I said, I wish it hadn't piqued my interest, followed by making the mistake of trying to contribute!

Still, I learned something... not that is relevant to me personally, having moved from film several years ago... I remember why now - too involved for someone with my little brain! ;)

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 2

But then again... I found this...

"Shorter version: Expose it as 3200 and shoot normally. Develop according to the instructions and make sure you use the correct development time for 3200.

Longer version: Delta 3200 is not an ISO 3200 film, it is more like ISO 1000-1200. If you expose it as 3200 and develop according to the instructions, you are actually push developing it. The film handles that well and it can be in fact shot even as 6400 (with appropriate push development) and some people push it even higher. The pushing comes at a price, though. The price is coarser grain and partial loss of the capability to handle underexposure and large tonal ranges. Exposing (and developing) it as, say, 1200 - 1600 will make it more forgiving.

I would not worry about it right now, shoot at 3200 and develop appropriately. At least first few rolls. If you find it lacking too much tonal range, is too grainy for your taste or that it is too unforgiving with underexposures, consider exposing as 1200 - 1600 and developing as 1600. Great developer for Delta 3200 is Ilford DD-X"

(From the Photography site, from an answer by MirekE) ...so who knows...?

Wish I hadn't got involved with this now... :D

Bill-I don't mind a bit. A little tech talk never hurts....especially in this forum.  I believe I found what works for me.  One more down :)

• Like 1

no, he rated the film at its native ISO and developed it according to its native iso, so it was in fact neither pulled nor pushed....

The box speed is actually a 2.5'ish stop push to the native iso.  So by rating it at box speed and developing at box speed you are actually pushing the film.

Because of the film's excellent latitude, Ilford markets it at a super high iso in order to establish a niche product.

I see what you're saying. I have to agree!

• Like 2

Machu Pichu - Peru.

Fujifilm Provia 100 - BW Conversion in PP

Ramesh

• Like 14

Leica M6

Frank

Hi Franck, I like these grains, they are beautiful , give the photo a paint appearance

Very well done.

A remake with for example fog :)

You know why nobody watches.... because people are now "formatted"  for "plasticized" images,

for synthetic images by the camera software , with pixels superbly "smoothed"  and "flat"  images ,

without relief, without consistency.This is the reality !

You know what ?

There are now photos software that give grain to digital images :angry:  , they want to imitate analogue

photo. Who knows why ?

Thanks for posting Franck

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

After what I said above , here an example (already posted)

Fog is microdroplets of water, you feel them on your face and film reproduced perfectly

this fog by silver grains.

You see and feel the fog when you watch this picture , as when you are in the nature :)

In digital it's smoothing (plasticized I said) and cannot reproduced grain of fog ! it's impossible

Ilford HP5-Leica M7-35 Summilux Asph

When you watch a beautiful picture, it has to remain in your memory,
You have emotion when you look, something that is different from usual ,
like when you listen to a piece of music on a vinyl disc and a tube amplifier :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 15

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing.  

I have some ancient structures from Jerusalem to share as well.

I took some photos during the summer of the Western Wall in Jerusalem, which was the western outer wall of the second Jewish Temple and was built by King Herod about 2000 years ago.  At the time, the temple was considered to house the presence of God and thus the Wall is considered a piece of that history and spiritual connection.  Jews flock to this wall and pour out their soul in prayer.  They often also leave a part of their soul in the form of letters and notes to God that they fold up and stick in the cracks between the large limestones.  

Given the significance of the Wall, I wanted to see if I could come up with some interesting isolated photos using both slide film and portra 160 (which is good with neutral tones)

Here are two taken with Velvia 50 and the SWC

Very nice color of stone Adam

The black of the prior and the green of the plant give in addition a relief for the picture :)

Thanks for posting

Best

Henry