I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

How can you get reliably spot on sharpness from that great lens w/o a RF mechanism of some sort and only a focus scale on the lens, which is 40mm and not wide enough to have a deep sharp focus range at different apertures???

Is its reliable crazy sharpness limited to really bright light and infinity?

If not and I am spreading disgusting rumors, please do correct the record.... :)

Adam,

Last thing first: yes you are spreading disgusting rumors :)!

There are in fact a number of ways of working with the Rollei in order to obtain that crazy sharpness so much coveted by you.

1. If you own any form of instrument that measures distances, use it, adjust the lens on the Rollei accordingly and take your picture.

2. Learn to guess distances. In my experience that is much easier than guessing light intensities (without a light meter).

3. Just have fun with that little camera, and ignore the occasional unsharpness. My guess is that the average hit rate with the Rollei @ 2.8 is better than that with an M and a Noctilux @1 :)

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What am I looking at and how does it relate to my question of focusing on the Rollei 35 camera itself?

Ok, I wanted to answer your question in a not too serius way :-)  Of course you are not be able to focus at open aperture at close range on point without a rangefinder.

You have to estimate at which distance the object is and set this value manually at the focussing ring.

Amazing set Adam !

Adam the mix of green,beige,blue white gives a very nice picture. Nice Velvia !

Thanks for posting in film thread :)

Best

Henry

This one is Wow, Adam. Scrolling down on my laptop, it just gets better and better.

Adam,

Nice panes of colour,

Rgds

C.

thanks, gentlemen.

• Like 2

Ok, I wanted to answer your question in a not too serius way :-)  Of course you are not be able to focus at open aperture at close range on point without a rangefinder.

You have to estimate at which distance the object is and set this value manually at the focussing ring.

Thanks, Klaus.  I was being dense, I guess.  I see all of your stellat photos and all the praises that you sing about the camera and thought perhaps there was a trick to the camera or an accessory that allows for precise focusing. 

You do really well with it!

Adam,

There are in fact a number of ways of working with the Rollei in order to obtain that crazy sharpness so much coveted by you.

1. If you own any form of instrument that measures distances, use it, adjust the lens on the Rollei accordingly and take your picture.

2. Learn to guess distances. In my experience that is much easier than guessing light intensities (without a light meter).

3. Just have fun with that little camera, and ignore the occasional unsharpness. My guess is that the average hit rate with the Rollei @ 2.8 is better than that with an M and a Noctilux @1 :)

Rgds

Christoph

Christoph - Before you go on and start spreading disgusting rumors of your own, let it be clear that I don't covert sharpness more than anyone else on this thread.  If I did, I probably not be shooting film and wouldn't be advocating the losing cost-benefit argument of using a 50 cron APO on a film M.  Now that we have that straight :) , I now fully understand the need for reliance on the focus scale and the limitations that that presents on the "all purpose" use of this camera. 

I am sure it is fun and challenging to shoot with, but with a 40mm lens it just doesn't compel me to want one.  Having said this, if this Zeiss lens-packed camera had a 28mm lens it would be the holy grail 35 camera for me.  I would have more of them than Klaus!!  This strongly begs a question in my mind as to why on earth they never came up with a 28mm version.  Borderline incomprehensible, like so many other things in life...

• Like 3

Thanks, Klaus.  I was being dense, I guess.  I see all of your stellat photos and all the praises that you sing about the camera and thought perhaps there was a trick to the camera or an accessory that allows for precise focusing. 

You do really well with it!

Christoph - Before you go on and start spreading disgusting rumors of your own, let it be clear that I don't covert sharpness more than anyone else on this thread.  If I did, I probably not be shooting film and wouldn't be advocating the losing cost-benefit argument of using a 50 cron APO on a film M.  Now that we have that straight :) , I now fully understand the need for reliance on the focus scale and the limitations that that presents on the "all purpose" use of this camera. 

I am sure it is fun and challenging to shoot with, but with a 40mm lens it just doesn't compel me to want one.  Having said this, if this Zeiss lens-packed camera had a 28mm lens it would be the holy grail 35 camera for me.  I would have more of them than Klaus!!  This strongly begs a question in my mind as to why on earth they never came up with a 28mm version.  Borderline incomprehensible, like so many other things in life...

:)

No intention of spreading rumors here. I suppose most of us, who are amateurs photographers in the true sense of the word, are after a mixture of having fun while exercising our hobby, and producing photographic masterpieces (however you define them) in the process.

Meeting nice and interesting people here who pursue the same interests (with or without a Rollei 35 :) )is an added bonus.

Rgds

C.

• Like 3

Adam,

Klaus' and Christoph's approach is how I shoot the SWC without ground glass and tripod.  In uncontrolled street settings, I set the focus ring to ~8ft and play within that distance.  I get a sense of distance based on how many arm lengths the subject is away from my face.  I never thought to do this, but after a little time and practice it works well.  As Christoph says, at wide apertures with very shallow DOF, you may have some soft shots.  Shooting the SWC @ f/4.5 with a subject 8 feet away provides a DOF of about 6 feet in total which is not too hard to hit. 

In controlled settings I have a small laser distance measure to be more precise.    

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-DISTO-200ft-Distance-Measurer/dp/B001AOUQXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475163085&sr=8-1&keywords=leica+measure.

How can you get reliably spot on sharpness from that great lens w/o a RF mechanism of some sort and only a focus scale on the lens, which is 40mm and not wide enough to have a deep sharp focus range at different apertures???

Is its reliable crazy sharpness limited to really bright light and infinity?

If not and I am spreading disgusting rumors, please do correct the record.... :)

Adam,

Rgds

Christoph

• Like 4

:)

No intention of spreading rumors here. I suppose most of us, who are amateurs photographers in the true sense of the word, are after a mixture of having fun while exercising our hobby, and producing photographic masterpieces (however you define them) in the process.

Meeting nice and interesting people here who pursue the same interests (with or without a Rollei 35 :) )is an added bonus.

Rgds

C.

Right on, Christoph.  And in re-reading my last post to you I realized that I didn't pepper it with enough emojis to show how silly I was being about the "disgusting rumor" part :)

Adam,

Klaus' and Christoph's approach is how I shoot the SWC without ground glass and tripod.  In uncontrolled street settings, I set the focus ring to ~8ft and play within that distance.  I get a sense of distance based on how many arm lengths the subject is away from my face.  I never thought to do this, but after a little time and practice it works well.  As Christoph says, at wide apertures with very shallow DOF, you may have some soft shots.  Shooting the SWC @ f/4.5 with a subject 8 feet away provides a DOF of about 6 feet in total which is not too hard to hit. 

In controlled settings I have a small laser distance measure to be more precise.    

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-DISTO-200ft-Distance-Measurer/dp/B001AOUQXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475163085&sr=8-1&keywords=leica+measure.

Thanks, Marc.  I totally get what you are saying.  That is the method I used to get these with the SWC.  With good light and stopped down, it is more hit than miss... :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8