I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been traveling a bit, first to New Mexico to ride motorcycles, then St. Louis to visit a very seriously ill friend, and back to Florida.  I did get to shoot a roll of film though, I will post a few after I develop it.  Until then, one from a few years back.  501C, Tri-X rated at 200, Rodinal 50:1, Canon flatbed scan.  

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, I hope they are receiving the best of care at one of the excellent hospitals here.

This is a beautiful image, I'm looking forward to seeing the scans from your recent trip.

• Like 1

Still loving these salty shots Adam, although (and I don't want to start another "It's not sharp" scrap), to my eyes, it looks a tad soft, especially left side.

Is it me, my monitor, or the scan? Having a dislike for wires (professional aversion even), that was what my eye saw first, and "soft" too.

NOT a criticism, at all, query.

Gary

yep, Gary, you're 100% right.  This was shot wide open at 5.6, with the DOF calculated to only put the first salt-berg in focus.  While I nailed the DOF, you've confirmed my sense that the vision that I had was not adequately realized.  I don't think the electrical wires kill the shot on their own, but the distraction of the out of focus background is indeed enhanced by them.  All in all, not a keeper.  And thanks for your input.  

Let me thrown another one at you that I am on the fence on....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 6

Adam,

I think there was just too much similar content throughout the DOF to achieve the vision you had in mind.  The out of focus background is a bit too similar to the sharper foreground to get that separation.  Hopefully that makes sense. Still a pretty cool photo.

yep, Gary, you're 100% right.  This was shot wide open at 5.6, with the DOF calculated to only put the first salt-berg in focus.  While I nailed the DOF, you've confirmed my sense that the vision that I had was not adequately realized.  I don't think the electrical wires kill the shot on their own, but the distraction of the out of focus background is indeed enhanced by them.  All in all, not a keeper.  And thanks for your input.  

attachicon.gifkotel.jpg

• Like 1

Adam,

I think there was just too much similar content throughout the DOF to achieve the vision you had in mind.  The out of focus background is a bit too similar to the sharper foreground to get that separation.  Hopefully that makes sense. Still a pretty cool photo.

yep, thanks Marc.

I like the rectangular look, but the SWC IS square, quintessentially square, so this throws me. Of course, that is also because I know it is the SWC.

The water is not "Miller-Smooth" either, this is different, not better or worse, just different to your usual.

All that out of the way, I like it. Did you do anything there at the end of the day, rather than "middle"?

Gary

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the rectangular look, but the SWC IS square, quintessentially square, so this throws me. Of course, that is also because I know it is the SWC.

The water is not "Miller-Smooth" either, this is different, not better or worse, just different to your usual.

All that out of the way, I like it. Did you do anything there at the end of the day, rather than "middle"?

Gary

Thanks, Gary.  I really appreciate your time.  I view the 6x6 as a canvas and not a rigid sacrosanct frame.  No smooth water b/c the shutter wasn't slow.  I took a few long exposures from this area but the colors just didn't come through in a satisfactory way.  I am not really even happy with these colors.  And didn't want to muck with the characteristics of what I see on the lightbox just to salvage when I have some many others that are ok as they are.   I think my keeper from this area will be the one that shared from the very outset a few weeks ago.  I may make a small print of this and see how it comes out.  My sense is that it is not going to turn any heads....  Thanks again - as you can see, I am ending the tour of the Dead Sea and soon will be turning to more recognizable terrain :)

• Like 2

Halal Guys Fuji645GA (45mm equivalent lens) Portra 160 ---

• Like 14

Just watch these pictures with SL Lux 50

Your film expert opinion  :)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253063-summilux-sl-50-mm-f14-asph/?p=3119409

in comparison of this portrait of Fin (color, definition and softness)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=3118116

Henry

Here is another one from the same series.  It's a Leica IIIf with a 50mm Summicron collapsible on Portra 400 film.  It was f5.6, probably about 1/100th of a second, with the face on Zone VI.  Scanned.  It might be that the main distinctive aspect of the picture has more to do with the lens than whether it's film or digital.  And with this lens it seems to work better close, as opposed to landscapes, where it's pretty ordinary.  Up close, though, it's, well, I've never seen anything like it.  It looks much better at higher resolution than is allowed in these posts.

• Like 12

Made in Germany or made in Singapore  :p

Enjoy shooting these little gems, they are lovely to use!

Rgds

C. 

One is Made in germany. But therer are only a few made in germany. So there is not a single S or SE with Sonnwar made in germany. The later "Rollei 35 classic" were made in germany, but in the early 90´s

• Like 1

How can you get reliably spot on sharpness from that great lens w/o a RF mechanism of some sort and only a focus scale on the lens, which is 40mm and not wide enough to have a deep sharp focus range at different apertures???

Is its reliable crazy sharpness limited to really bright light and infinity?

If not and I am spreading disgusting rumors, please do correct the record.... :)

There has been a solution: http://www.studiolighting.net/items/Zeiss-Black-Sonnar-2-8-40mm-Rollei-Hft-For-Leica-Screw-39-Leica-M_351729118701.html

• Like 1

Rollei 35 SE, Tmax 400, D 76 1:1

• Like 7

Rollei 35 SE, Tmax 400, D 76 1:1

• Like 9

Rollei 35 S, Tmax 400, D76 1:1

• Like 10

Rollei 35 S, Tmax 400, D76 1:1

• Like 10

Trying a new to me scanner, flatbed Epson style, and it's taking shape, but heaps to learn.

A couple of old 500C/M 80 Planar shots.

Agfa 100RS.

Gary

• Like 7

And another.

Bush work is either THE most dangerous, or if not, very close to being the most dangerous occupation in NZ.

Gary

• Like 11

Another shot from Foggy morning, without swans!

M3 50mm Summarit  HP5

Thanks for looking, Pete C

• Like 12

Another shot from Foggy morning, without swans!

M3 50mm Summarit  HP5

attachicon.gifM3 HP5.jpg

Thanks for looking, Pete C

Also very nice Fin even without swans  :) 

I love fog by film. You can see the grain (not smoothing pixels!).

I remind you fog is composed of water microdroplets like grain of film

Thanks for posting Fin

Best

Henry

Thanks for posting

• Like 1