Which SINGLE fixed/ prime lens would you take on a family vacation

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Dirk, thanks very much for your thoughts. I really apologize for neglecting to disclose the model of my body, which is an M9. I own an M3 as well, which I love. But I doubt that I will bring it along. I am leaning toward bringing only the 35 lux or also the 90 cron. As for cases, I wasn't inquiring so much about a general camera case as I was a hard cylinder type case specially for a small leica lens. I will try to fetch an answer through the handy search feature of this forum!

Hi Dirk, thanks very much for your thoughts. I really apologize for neglecting to disclose the model of my body, which is an M9. I own an M3 as well, which I love. But I doubt that I will bring it along. I am leaning toward bringing only the 35 lux or also the 90 cron. As for cases, I wasn't inquiring so much about a general camera case as I was a hard cylinder type case specially for a small leica lens. I will try to fetch an answer through the handy search feature of this forum!

I have just been away for a weekend, and I took my M9 with only the 35/1.4 ASPH FLE - it's a fantastic lens - easy to focus and gives results I'm happy with, and one camera and one lens is a helpful discipline.

That said, I am away at the end of this week for 3 weeks (we're driving), with family, and I will take the following (with my M9, and a Monochrom loaner I can use till mine arrives):

21 Summilux ASPH

28 Summicron ASPH

50 Summilux ASPH

75 Summicron

with some filters and a couple of double ended lens caps, so I can store each pair in a leather wrap.

After a lot of reflection, I will be leaving the 35 Summilux ASPH FLE, Noctilux & 90 APO Summicron behind, primarily because of weight, but also because the 4 I'm taking give an optimal spread with some variety in image quality (primarily the decision to take the 75 instead of the 90) - also, it means I'm dealing with only two filter sizes - 46 & 60.

As it's a paragliding holiday, everything will get a bit dusty, and I felt the Noct was better stored safely in my humidity controlled/airconditioned office ...

Hello Everybody,

Let's look at what pico just said from a slightly different perspective:

Pico is absoloutely right: You can do a lot of what a 35mm lens can do & a lot of what a 90mm lens can do with a 50mm lens by itself because of the overlap in coverage on either side of the 50mm lens. A 50mm lens does what it does as a 50mm lens as well as part of what a 35mm lens does & part of what a 90mm lens does.

This is one of the reasons a 50mm lens, or thereabouts, has been seen as pretty much of a universal lens througout much of the history of full frame 35mm photography.

But now let's turn things around:

If you use a 35mm lens together with 90mm lens here is the coverage:

Part of the coverage of a 28mm lens.

The coverage of a 35mm lens.

Part of the coverage of a 50mm lens

Part of the coverage of a 75mm lens.

The coverage of a 90mm lens.

Part of the coverage of a 135mm lens.

All for carrying 2 lenses instead of one.

Whenever you use any lens you also have a part of the coverage of the lenses on either side of it.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 2

On my M8 (so the crop has to be considered)...

Just ONE lens: Voigtländer Ultron 2/28

TWO lenses: Voigtländer Ultron 2/28 and Color Heliar 2.5/75

THREE lenses: Voigtländer Heliar 4,5/15, Ultron 2/28 and Color Heliar 2.5/75

If it was more about persons than scenery, the ONE lens would be: Voigtländer Ultron 1.7/35

My complete set for the M8: 15, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90

And all those lenses fit into a very small bag, thus I don't see any reason not to bring them. ;)

But I do normally not travel to remote places where risk of loss is something to thing about. Not until my kids are a lot older. ;)

Edited by LucisPictor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just been away for a weekend, and I took my M9 with only the 35/1.4 ASPH FLE - it's a fantastic lens - easy to focus and gives results I'm happy with, and one camera and one lens is a helpful discipline.

That said, I am away at the end of this week for 3 weeks (we're driving), with family, and I will take the following (with my M9, and a Monochrom loaner I can use till mine arrives):

21 Summilux ASPH

28 Summicron ASPH

50 Summilux ASPH

75 Summicron

with some filters and a couple of double ended lens caps, so I can store each pair in a leather wrap.

After a lot of reflection, I will be leaving the 35 Summilux ASPH FLE, Noctilux & 90 APO Summicron behind, primarily because of weight, but also because the 4 I'm taking give an optimal spread with some variety in image quality (primarily the decision to take the 75 instead of the 90) - also, it means I'm dealing with only two filter sizes - 46 & 60.

As it's a paragliding holiday, everything will get a bit dusty, and I felt the Noct was better stored safely in my humidity controlled/airconditioned office ...

Pretty much the range of lenses I'd take for such a trip, although I'd have to decide between the 75 Summicron ASPH and the 4.0/90 Macro.

• Like 1

Hi Algrove and NZDavid - thanks for your dose of reality and wake up call. I have very little principled comeback to the arguments that you have submitted. They are persuasive and I very well may ultimately come around to your school of thought. I think it will come down to how well I can secure the lenses when they are not in use. I currently only have the Leica pouches in which the lenses came. Are there other specific more protective/secure cases for a 35 and 90 that are compact that you would recommend (perhaps a hard, watertight yet compact case)?

This whole process has been very helpful for me. Thanks to all again!

@Miller- I thought I detailed what I do, but I leave the Leica leather cases at home unless backpack travel can work for them. But generally, those Leica cases, although beautiful in their own right, take up too much room and the LensBaby cases are more protective than the Leica cases for small Leica lenses. Heck I can even fit a 18mm Zeiss ZM into one of the LensBaby cases. It really depends on what camera bag or backpack or whatever I use for each time out, i.e., day trips/shooting. Pure to and from travel I use the LensBaby small little zippered round cases=$15 each as I can stack them 2 high inside my shoulder bag on each end if those are the lenses I want with me. Actually this allows me to take 4 small lenses if desired and whatever lens is mounted on camera. If a longer lens is wanted then it replaces 2 smaller lenses (where the long lens is put in a Zing bag), but that still means I can take 4 lenses total. When out for shooting say with 3 lenses assuming one on camera, I take 2 neoprene little Zing pouches=($8-12 each depending on size)-one for reach extra lens and then when changing lenses I just switch the bag to whatever lens is now off the camera. They fold flat and have a closure hook for attaching to belt or soft camera bag handle and also they have a loop which can attach to a belt if wanted. I tend to use them as added protection inside my shoulder bag when out and not hanging on anything, like Rambo does with grenades. If I decide I want quicker changeability with less lens protection (but still in my shoulder bag) then I leave the the Zings and of course the LensBaby cases back in my locked suitcase in the room sans lenses. This all assumes you have a shoulder bag along that has three separate areas for gear in the main compartment. Since I now have an MM I tend to take lenses that can tai the same filter size like 46mm-35 FLE, 28/2.0 and 90 Elmarit-M plus one other whatever lens I decide on either wider or longer.

By the way the small Zings I have, hold every lens even up to the 90 AA and also two M lenses on the gray 2 lens ring holder thing , but not long enough for the 135 APO which needs the longish Zing. Happy travels be it for one day or up to one year. Use your imagination, it does wonders for photography.

Edited by algrove

@MarkP

Sorry, I did not notice that you already gave similar advice.:)

Although your Zeiss lenses are more expensive :D

@A Miller

There is one other solution for your dilemma. It is actually what I do most of the time when traveling. Did you consider taking one lens with your M9 and bring a light (relatively inexpensive) camera with zoom with you to complement the lens?

Of course the results of this other camera must be so good that you will not have much regret that you were not able to take the shot with your M9. And it needs to be small and light enough, so that it will not be left at the hotel because of that.

There are only a few camera's around that woud complement my M8 in that way. Complementing your M9 is even harder because it delivers better quality.

I take my dear old Digilux 2 with me. It weighs only 700g which is less than a Summicron 90mm. And it brings a 28-90mm Summicron zoom of excellent quality to the equasion! Yes it is old and has only 5 MP and 100 ISO, but it delivers on the IQ department.

In my case I often take a bag with M8+50mm Summilux and the Digilux2. The lens can stay on the M8 and it is a lot faster than switching lenses to take the Digilux for a wider shot when the M8+50mm is too tight.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the continued input. I'm beginning to think that there isn't a one-size fits all solution here. Or am I just slow!:)

I will indeed have a compact camera as well. Don't know whether I'm allowed to say the name here since it doesn't have any Leica components. But I agree with what is said that the M9 with full scale leica glass is the combo for optimum quality; so I will want to use this as much as possible to take shots that might end up on my wall.

I think I've convinced myself that I will for sure bring the 35 lux fle. Of all my lenses, this will come in most handy when shooting outdoors, including landscapes, scenic backgrounds, and general random street shooting (with the relatively deep DOF, at least on a sunny day).

I am leaning toward also bringing my 90 cron apo, mostly for portraits of us with family members that we will be visiting (particularly when visiting family members' homes where the background isn't interesting).

As for the 50 lux, I am inclined to leave this behind but will keep an open mind as I get closer to the trip. There are certainly occassions in which ony a 50lux would suffice. The time that I shot my friend's newborn baby's Bris (traditional Jewish circumcision) is an example. That lens was all I needed to do the job. Shot wide-open and with the wonderful advent of cropping where appropiate, I didn't feel the need for anything else. But on a trip like where the range of a 50mm within relatively intimate setings is merely a few steps forward away with the 35mm, I'm just at a loss right as to how it would be used a meaningful amount. I wouldn't want to take it for only rare use.

I'm sure that I will continue to change my viewpoint numerous times before my trip, due in large part to the excellent perspectives being shared on this thread.

• Like 3

I will indeed have a compact camera as well. Don't know whether I'm allowed to say the name here since it doesn't have any Leica components. But I agree with what is said that the M9 with full scale leica glass is the combo for optimum quality; so I will want to use this as much as possible to take shots that might end up on my wall.

It is no problem to mention the name of the compact or any other camera. As long as the discussion here has to do with Leica you'r fine :)

I am not sure if the compact will be of much help if you regret not having taken the hot with your M9. Make sure it is good enough to print the shot if need be, otherwise I would consider leaving it at home and carrying a second lens for the M9.

Camera's that would do in my view are Digilux2 or Lumix counterpart, Olympus PEN or other good 4/3, or Sony NEX. I am sure there are others too, but this is my shortlist and order of preference.

With the Digilux2 I have no hesitation or regrets not having the M8 shot as long as it is not printed larger than 30x40 cm. Actually it is pretty hard to tweak more performance out of the M8 than the Digilux, certainly on ISO100 and in the short focal lengths up to 35 mm FF equivalent.

Have a look at this wonderful thread to see what I mean:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-d-lux-digilux-v-lux/20265-do-digilux-2-photos-have-distinctive.html

Looking at a representative data sample of the thousands of pictures I've taken on trips to places like India, Iran, South Africa etc. I find that more than 70% were taken with a 35mm or 35mm equivalent. That is the one focal length I'd take provided the location did not suggest the need for something else to deal with things like wildlife or interiors.