35 ASPH or FLE? Help deciding

NikonJeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning,

I have searched and read as much as I can find both here and on the internet and I am still no closer to an educated decision as when I started and my brain is sore :D

I'm TRYING to transition into Leica from my Nikon gear and would like to get some real world feedback if you've owned both the Summilux 35 FLE and the prior 35 Summilux ASPH.

Am I going to see in everyday use a tangible difference between these two lenses that justifies the $1000 difference in price? I'm not trying to be cheap per say but if the differences in these lenses is based on tech sheets and lab results only then I would rather put the $1000 towards something else.

I've been shooting wedding now for 18 years and have been using Nikons for the better part of it. Currently I use (2) D3 bodies mated with a 35/1.4G and 85/1.4G lenses about 95% of my day. I shoot predominately wide open on the bleeding edge of 1.4 except for when I need/want more DOF.

My current Leica kit is an M9, 50lux v2, Zeiss ZM35/2, ZM50/2 and a VL 75/1.8 - I've been looking for a 35lux and have an opportunity to purchase a new 35lux FLE today ($5k) from the dealer I purchased my M9 from a few months ago. There are also some used (LNIB) 35lux ASPH available for about $4k on eBay and from various dealers...

My head is spinning and I would REALLY appreciate some advice from those that have either tested or owned both of these lenses and can tell me what they chose and why.

Many, many thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I went through a similar thought process not long ago and had my eyes set on the pre-FLE because I could not imagine that there would be a noticeable difference on film, which is what I use. And that is likely the case - the bigger difference between the lenses, as I have understood it, is that the FLE corrects focus shift (which is a real problem, esp on digital) and has improved flare performance.

In the end I found a mint FLE at Red Dot for a very good price, pretty much what the pre-FLEs go for and I am very happy indeed. It is a formidable lens. Newoldcamera in Italy has several pre-FLEs and FLEs in stock (though I'm not sure if it makes sense for you to buy from overseas).

You will perhaps have seen the several threads on 35s in this forum (just below and previous page). There are some excellent suggestions there.

Cheers

Edited by philipus
  • Like 1

the difference it will make to IQ will not be that noticeable, unless you really pixel peep (both are at the very top of 35mm, also very high up in diminishing return curve). though the convenience of eliminating focus shift is extremely convenient. but for that extra greens, only you can justify for it :D

• Like 1

I have shot with the Summilux.FLE, The ASPH. pre FLE and the Aspherical, they all have different fingerprints.

I currently have the ASPH and Aspherical. I bought the ASPH over an FLE as I prefer the rendering of the ASPH. This thread is worth a read

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...-summilux.html

Some have had focus shift with a number of lenses, I have measured all my lenses for shift and the Aspherical is marginally less than the ASPH, my 50 Summilux V2 is the worst by some margin, but if set up properly the increase in DOF compensates for any shift.

I have not found any issues with shooting at close range with any of these lenses. The only problem with focus I have had was my M9-P which was considerably out.

There are a few reviews and comparisons on the web. The ASPH gets unfairly accused of focus shift when in reality it is better than a lot of Leica and Zeiss lenses and when set up not an issue.

• Like 2

Thank you for the links and the information - I have read those postings before which have a ton of information. I emailed the dealer this morning and "picked" his brain a bit which resulted in me passing up the FLE (for now).

I have shot with the Summilux.FLE, The ASPH. pre FLE and the Aspherical, they all have different fingerprints.

I currently have the ASPH and Aspherical. I bought the ASPH over an FLE as I prefer the rendering of the ASPH. This thread is worth a read

Some have had focus shift with a number of lenses, I have measured all my lenses for shift and the Aspherical is marginally less than the ASPH, my 50 Summilux V2 is the worst by some margin, but if set up properly the increase in DOF compensates for any shift.

I have not found any issues with shooting at close range with any of these lenses. The only problem with focus I have had was my M9-P which was considerably out.

There are a few reviews and comparisons on the web. The ASPH gets unfairly accused of focus shift when in reality it is better than a lot of Leica and Zeiss lenses and when set up not an issue.

Glad to be of help, here is a shot at f1.4 that demonstrates the point with the 35mm Summilux ASPH. No thought given other than composition, the usual ISO/exposure choice and shooting

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

A new pre-FLE may be tricky. Those in the US can advise far better than I but fwiw Kevin Cameras has one or two of the pre-FLEs (though from the looks of some of the stuff they sell their prices may not be the best). Depending on your import situation it may be worth considering buying from Europe.

Edit: Don't forget the buy and sell section here.

A new pre-FLE may be tricky. Those in the US can advise far better than I but fwiw Kevin Cameras has one or two of the pre-FLEs (though from the looks of some of the stuff they sell their prices may not be the best). Depending on your import situation it may be worth considering buying from Europe.

Edit: Don't forget the buy and sell section here.

Do you have a website forKevin Cameras? I'll look through the B&S but the thing that I'm running into even with lenses on eBay and through dealers is a LOT of them aren't 6bit coded (which I would like) so you have to add another $200-225 for coding and shipping costs on top of the purchase price of the lens.

When all is said and done you're $500-750 less than an FLE and have no warranty per say. :(

Apart the C-Sonnar, would you please care to elaborate which Zeiss lenses exhibit focus shift?

Do you have a website forKevin Cameras? I'll look through the B&S but the thing that I'm running into even with lenses on eBay and through dealers is a LOT of them aren't 6bit coded (which I would like) so you have to add another $200-225 for coding and shipping costs on top of the purchase price of the lens.

When all is said and done you're $500-750 less than an FLE and have no warranty per say. :(

Kevin Lee (dba as Kevin Cameras) is okay and his rating policies are conservative, but prices are pretty much on the high side. He's a well known buyer and seller in LA and is trustworthy overall. He's really best for collectibles, imho. And for Contax, Alpa, etc..

KevinCameras

• Like 1