Leica M and M-E

TheBogart

The new D600 is also only 6400, although I'd think its not likely that the sensor will match up to the Sony/Nikon sensors. I guess they couldn't get a deal with one of the big players. Question will be how far behind it lags. Guess we'll know in 2013.

Sandy

My thought is that the IR filtering may be using up some light. I didn't know the D600 is only 6400 ISO max. That seems weird. A 5DII is only $2000 now and the new 6D is about the same. And both of those have higher ISO than 6400. Of course they all have a higher "expanded" level too. I don't know if maximum numbers mean much until we see how the noise shakes out.

The new grip adds some features and indicates an electronic connection between the body and the grip. So other kinds of grips, devices may evolve. That could be a way to add wifi remote control/viewing and other features for instance. The EVF socket could allow for various monitors and upgraded viewfinders over time too.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

very interesting to read about CMOSIS. years ago Fill factory provided the CCD sensor for the kodak 14n (based on a nikon body), which i had the -doubtful- pleasure of owning for a year.

Yeah, despite being in the sensor business, Kodak chose Fill Factory when they decided to go full frame. It was a CMOS chip not CCD BTW. I'm assuming they've learned something in ten years or so and this sensor is a lot better than that one.

At least yours had a Nikon body. Kodak loaned me a DCS/c (Canon version of the 14n on a Sigma body.) I used it for about a week alongside my 1Ds. The body was terrible compared with the 1Ds and I hated the images too. Color shifts... especially with TS lenses and lots of aliasing colors and other issues. Whereas the 1Ds was staggeringly good and very refined for its time.

I told my Kodak reps. what I thought as politely as I could.

There's a good video on Leica's website with John Dooley using the new M. Very nice upgrade.

Interesting to watch and then you see the new M at 03:13 with all the add ons like viewfinder and baseplate and it starts to look like a DSLR! So happy they kept a classic M9/M-E line ;)

I think it was quite a smart move to introduce both the M and M-E.

With the M-E all M9 owners still feel happy as they still own a somewhat "current model" AND it should better maintain the resale value for M9s.

And at the same time there is a better option for those who want the latest technology.

The new M has a few nice features...I guess the additional focus methods will also allow the introduction of some new (and longer) tele-lenses (even many people will write there is no need for that on a Leica M ;-).

btw did you notice that both M-E and M are 5mm thicker than the M9?

• Like 1

Why is the new M so much fatter? Makes my M3 look positively svelte.

5mm (.2 in) more than the M9...not dramatic IMO considering all the stuff inside. All other dimensions identical.

I loved the ergonomics of film Ms for decades; now they feel too skinny after using the M8.2 for a few years.

Without some of the new M features (including some weather sealing), I was going to get a 5DIII to complement my M system. The new M may now suffice. Given that alternative, I'd say the new M is damn skinny.:) Depends on your perspective...and your personal experience.

I won't know until I try the camera, for ergonomics and IQ, and seek reviews on the sealing...but it looks promising for my needs. The M8.2s will likely stick around in any case.

Jeff

• Like 1