Leica M and M-E

TheBogart

I can't believe the new M camera does not have Facebook integration. What were they thinking?

Seriously, I think the new M camera had to incorporate features like liveview and video in order to appeal to a new generation of photographers. As a professional cinematographer, I am interested to see the quality of the HD video from the new M. The 24p recording makes this camera very relevant to professionals around the world. There is a short sample clip in one of the M videos produced by Leica. The video quality looks very promising.

I'm a hard core M shooter, and the idea I could use my M lenses for commercial video shoots is very appealing. I have to say I am excited about the new camera and plan to preorder tomorrow.

• Like 5

I can't believe the new M camera does not have Facebook integration. What were they thinking?

Yes but... there are some photographers who use wifi to instantly upload their shoots for clients to see the images. Also some studios shoot tethered and then use wifi to send images to iPads in order for others on the set to see what is going on without them all gathering around the tethered computer. Capture One's Capture Pilot software is used by some for that. Direct wifi from the camera to the computers and tablets simplifies that process.

A couple of winters ago I got tired of dealing with my M8 and sold off the body and all my Leica lenses with the exception of a 35mm lux to go with my M7. Now, I have to say, I regret it. I've always liked 35mm and 90mm as a pair, but the 90 was almost unusable on the M8 (as was the 135, another length I liked.) Now, those lenses will be perfectly usable (for the first time!) with live view. Since selling off my system, I've gone to m4/3 as my second system (in addition to my regular Nikon gear) and it's really quite good. I've also gotten used to using live view, and it's not quite the horror show that it's sometimes portrayed to be, on this forum.

The Nikon 600, by the way, while basically ISO 100-600, also offers 50-25600 with their "boost."

The sensor is the question, innit?

Yes but... there are some photographers who use wifi to instantly upload their shoots for clients to see the images. Also some studios shoot tethered and then use wifi to send images to iPads in order for others on the set to see what is going on without them all gathering around the tethered computer. Capture One's Capture Pilot software is used by some for that. Direct wifi from the camera to the computers and tablets simplifies that process.

Won't Eye-Fi or FlashAir cards work in Leicas?

While the new Leica M looks like it will be great, it’s clear the Leica designers were not really anticipating the new 36MP sensors of the D800/D800E/A99. Though resolution isn’t everything in a camera system, of the Leica M sensor can’t resolve more than 81% of the D800, and it’s a modest 14% increase in resolution over the M9. That’s not enough of an increase in resolution for me to justify upgrading my M9P to an M to compliment my D800E.

Bear in mind that the S still has 37.5mp, so Leica wouldn't want the new M to encroach on its territory.

I'm sure it's going to be a very fine camera but the back of the new M looks a little bit of a dog's dinner with the chrome coloured dial, the EVF port and the little thumbwheel thing poking out of the corner.

I agree, the new design sort of lossing Leica's pureness.

What is that small rectangular hole under the hot-shoe port on the back of the camera?? An USB port??? I thought new M does not have a usb port.....

Wow!! Neat stuff! Leica has come along way since the M6, my first M! I like the idea of it replacing my Canon 5D kit. I have to research what kind of macro capabilies it has with an R lens.

I doubt it will be much - from a wildlife/macro amateur sneaking from the R forum, just to see what the new M is about.

If you only want to experience macro, and shoot mostly what M system is good at, I'll say go for it! For serious work I would say think wisely.

;)

• Like 1

Won't Eye-Fi or FlashAir cards work in Leicas?

I was not saying one couldn't use a wifi card on this. (I know there have been some reported issues.) I was responding to "I can't believe the new M camera does not have Facebook integration. What were they thinking?" So I pointed out that having the ability to post images via wifi is useful to some beyond sharing snapshots with your friends on Facebook.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

pico, Alan thanks for pointing out the bit about the Eye-Fi cards. I wasn't aware that there have been issues (I shoot film so what do I know :rolleyes: )

No, of course I haven't heard it. I'm only going by the technical data and their marketing. They mention a quiet shutter several times with the M-E and not so with the M9/M9-P.

The M9 tech data says: "microprocessor-controlled, exceptionally low-noise metal blade shutter with vertical movement."

The M-E tech data says: "closed type focal plane shutter for classic image exposure, with external cocking mechanics."

Maybe it's just the same thing written differently. But what is "external cocking mechanics?"

I guess we'll know eventually.

But I personally dislike the metallic whirring and clicking sound of my M9. Granted I came from the M6 (no comparison, the M6 sounds luscious.) But I actually like the sound of my D3s shutter better than my M9. It has an authoritative solid sound (even with a mirror), but the M9 sounds more like a stone rattling in an empty tin can.

As a long-time EOS photographer I've always been a bit envious about the softer clicking of the Nikon shutters on their DSLRs. With my 5D2 I use the LiveView shooting if possible because also that shutter is too loud (my 1N is a bit quieter). The times I've used an M9 and heard one being fired I've always been surprised by the very harsch metallic sound of the recocking mechanism. The delayed recocking silent mode, to me, isn't good enough. My TTL is a miracle of silence in comparison.

When I saw the video on Leica's site with Mr Dooley demoing the M I was surprised that the sound of the shutter, as far as I could hear at least, was really quite muted and soft. It was also "short", in that the recocking sound seemed curiously absent. I realise there was other sounds (like traffic) around but there seemed to be a definite difference to the M9 shutter. Time and testing will tell.

The new M is gonna suck battery A LOT!

Pretty much everybody else with video and live view in a high end body has a battery grip for just that reason.

I was wondering about this too. The specifications on the website say the battery will actually last a long time. It'll likely vary depending on what is attached to the camera but, as opposed to Apple which seems intent on barely providing enough juice for a day's use of each of their new i-products, Leica seems conscious of the need to ensure plug-free mobility.

Is there anything in particular on your wish list?

There are plenty of Leica (or other brand) M-mount lenses around.

They were right to get the cameras sorted out.

Also, where are the comments from R lens users who have been waiting for the 'R-solution'?

I have to agree with this. There are so many lenses around, modern, traditional and classic, that I lack nothing. I'm not saying there are photographers, perhaps likely professional photographers, who have special needs in terms of lenses and see holes in the line-up, but I don't.

It will be very interesting to see the image quality. I am wondering if the 6400 ceiling really will be a big deal. I have a feeling - and this is based solely on my impression of Leica as a company that seems keenly aware that what ultimately matters is the image quality - the new sensor has one or two surprises up its sleeves.

Though I am predominantly a film photographer, I feel we're living in very exciting times. I hope it will be possible on Saturday for me to check out the M and the M-E at Photokina.

Cheers

Philip

Edited by philipus

As a long-time EOS photographer I've always been a bit envious about the softer clicking of the Nikon shutters on their DSLRs. The times I've used an M9 and heard one being fired I've always been surprised by the very harsch metallic sound of the recocking mechanism. The delayed recocking silent mode, to me, isn't good enough.

Since you use Canons, the 5DIII has a "Silent Shooting" mode. You might want to check it out.

• Like 1

Seriously, I think the new M camera had to incorporate features like liveview and video in order to appeal to a new generation of photographers. As a professional cinematographer, I am interested to see the quality of the HD video from the new M. The 24p recording makes this camera very relevant to professionals around the world. There is a short sample clip in one of the M videos produced by Leica. The video quality looks very promising.

I'm a hard core M shooter, and the idea I could use my M lenses for commercial video shoots is very appealing. I have to say I am excited about the new camera and plan to preorder tomorrow.

I figure since the Leitz was created by moving film adopted to still and portable usage whats wrong with adopting a still Leica to portable digital movie operation. Seems like it wasnt for 35mm film wed never have a portable small camera in the first place.

Is there anything in particular on your wish list?

There are plenty of Leica (or other brand) M-mount lenses around.

They were right to get the cameras sorted out.

Also, where are the comments from R lens users who have been waiting for the 'R-solution'?

They have probably all sold on their R series lenses or bought adapters and are using Nikon or Canon bodies.

• Like 1