Best high speed general purpose lens for M8?

Ecaton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would add the 28 f/1.9 Ultron. Inexpensive, but top performance. See Sean's review of the 28s, including the Ultron.

For focal lengths I used most, ie 28mm-50mm, I prefer Leica prime lenses. On the wide and long end, I added CV's 15mm and 75mm Heliar respectively, also because of not being sure yet of how wide and long I eventually will go. Both provide excellent value for the money can be resold easily.

Martin

I think you need to define general purpose.

The M line has traditionally been viewed as a "walkaround" camera and therefore wide lenses typically get, appropriately, first mention. For others this might be their portraiture lens or a photojournalists camera, in which case longer or wider lenses might be the best fit.

I decided to go wider (28/2.0) for my first lens and then decided to go longer and faster for my second lens. I struggled between the 50/1.4 and the Noctilux, a great opportunity came by for the latter and I opted for the Nocti.

But from the photos that I've seen and the test shots I've taken you can't go wrong with any of the lens that have been mentioned here.