M9 problem - battery charged, camera says "low level"..

odin_cro

Jaap,you convinced me :)

My M9 battery is on its way from BH Photo already :) 52$ for shipping, hope it will work :))

I would buy the extra battery anyway, and DHL to Solm s would cost me at least 200EUR :-)

Rooting for you that it works - In Leica German - Ich drücke die Daumen...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, I have purchased a new battery from B&H photo, charged it optimistically, but the problem reoccurred again.

So, I charge the battery, insert in M9, and get the message 'attention: battery low"

If I keep to press the shutter, after some time (sometimes after just few clicks, but sometimes after lot of clicks), camera suddenly become responsive and it works.

However, this is quite annoying and unpredictable...

On the other hand - the old battery which came with the camera is totally out of business, and it is only one year old.

Is it possible that I got the second lemon battery, or it is a problem in camera? Or charger?

I tried to test the battery with a meter, and it seems to be normally charged, however, M9 keeps telling the same 'attention: battery low"

This is a problem I have since the first day with my M9.

Thank you guys for your help!

It is annoying... Did you try to reinstall the firmware. I had the same with my M8 and installed the firmware again (2.004 at that time). And the bug didn't came back updating that backup camera to 2.014 :D.

Hi again, I have purchased a new battery from B&H photo, charged it optimistically, but the problem reoccurred again.

So, I charge the battery, insert in M9, and get the message 'attention: battery low"

If I keep to press the shutter, after some time (sometimes after just few clicks, but sometimes after lot of clicks), camera suddenly become responsive and it works.

However, this is quite annoying and unpredictable...

On the other hand - the old battery which came with the camera is totally out of business, and it is only one year old.

Is it possible that I got the second lemon battery, or it is a problem in camera? Or charger?

I tried to test the battery with a meter, and it seems to be normally charged, however, M9 keeps telling the same 'attention: battery low"

This is a problem I have since the first day with my M9.

Thank you guys for your help!

It is annoying... Did you try to reinstall the firmware. I had the same with my M8 and installed the firmware again (2.004 at that time). And the bug didn't came back updating that backup camera to 2.014 :D.

Hi, i updated the firmware once couple of months ago, but haven't uograded to the latest firmware yet, as I saw that there are some issues with it... Could try though...

Thank you for your tip

Did you ever try to drain the battery completely? If so, did you contact your dealer to have your camera shipped to Solms?

Funny thing happened... After three days of not using my m9, i turned it on today... Initially, I got horror message 'attention battery low' message, but after a dozen or so half-clicks on shutter, camera started to work fine.

Then, i started toshoot the camera constantly to drain the baterry completely, and even though baterry is supposed to last 400 shots, i made 800 shots, and bAterry gauge says it is still on 75%? Nowi am going to sleep,turned off the autopower off fn, and have left playback on, we will se tommorrow ;)

There is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAMERA!!!

No reason to send it anywhere.

If we are speaking of an original Leica battery hook it up to a bulb to drain it completely

by slipping thin material into the battery slots #2 and #6 (with the battery insert arrow

facing you) When the 4 or 6 volt bulb goes out…. the battery is fully depleted…. recharge.

I think you will see a difference in the camera battery level scale.

Not clear if it comes from the last firmware. My Transcend 2GB and 8GB work flawlessly with the latter.

It is virtually certain it does not come from the new firmware. The betatesters shot thousands of shots using it and not one had this problem.

There is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAMERA!!!

No reason to send it anywhere.

If we are speaking of an original Leica battery hook it up to a bulb to drain it completely

by slipping thin material into the battery slots #2 and #6 (with the battery insert arrow

facing you) When the 4 or 6 volt bulb goes out…. the battery is fully depleted…. recharge.

I think you will see a difference in the camera battery level scale.

Dear Washington,

Thank you for this tip on draining the batteries completely. I have rried Jaap'sadvice to pish 'set' button after low battery essage to continueto use the camera, but set button wouldn't override the message, and camera would turn offf...

odin_cro,

Actually, if you have a voltmeter handy (they are cheap) connect the voltmeter

with the bulb drainage wires…. and at 2.5-2.7 volts the battery should recharge to

normal and show it in the camera scale…. this is true for third party batteries as well.

This is BETTER than dropping the voltage to zero…. honest!

The OP's M9 behaves the same way with two different Leica batteries if i understand well. Most probably a camera problem i'm afraid.

Hope not, but i am affraid that it will be the camera after all... Thanks guys on all of your advices